New member! - Need new engine! - Where should I buy?

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
DarkAugust
Car: 2004 Xterra 3.3L 140K

Hello NICOclub! I have to admit it was a little strange joining a forum where some of the top topics are discussing sex on mattresses and begging for money for old sports cars. But I am desperate for help, so I will brave your silliness in favor of that which I seek.

My 2004 Xterra VG33E needs a new engine (piston ring leakage and bad valves). Where should I buy a replacement? I've had several mechanics and Nissan forum members opine advocating for local junkyard or JDM imported engines, but alas they are split on which is the better option. I have been told that JDM engines have very low mileage, but that junkyard engines may be cheaper and that there is advantage to dealing locally. Both sellers would likely "back up" their engines with some form of warranty. I would love to hear from you guys who have experience replacing engines and help me settle this debate and find a new engine for my beloved Green Canteen Machine. Thanks!

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Hi, welcome to NICO!
I typically like to see what I'm buying before I buy it, and even better would like to hear it run. So because of that, I would opt for a junkyard if available. Sometimes you'll find that a you wont be able to get exactly what you're looking for at the junkyard, in which case I'd look at outsourcing to either a JDM import, or another junkyard.

The third option would be to just overhaul the engine you have, but you'd definitely have more downtime associated with that.

DarkAugust
Car: 2004 Xterra 3.3L 140K

Yeah I think I'm planning on doing a rebuild. Now I just have to get the thing out. Do you know how to separate the engine from the transmission and how to lift it since there are no hooks on the engine anywhere?

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

If you have access to a lift, you'd be better off just dropping the whole subframe and everything. Unbolt the suspension from the body, disconnect the steering shaft, undo the brake lines and other hoses, then just lift the body right off.

Other than that, if I don't have anything to grab to (and don't have a hook around I can bolt on), I've just double-wrapped a ratchet strap (or similar) around an exhaust or intake runner.

Return to “General Chat”