New member intro with a couple of questions

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
The GnPC
Car: 2014 Nissan Senrta SR

Hi All,
New to the forum as well as new to Nissan.
I picked up a 2014 Sentra SR about a year ago cuz I needed a new commuter car. Overall I like the car. Drives nice, good mpg, comfortable, just what I wanted. It is having issues with a couple of things that I could use some help figuring out.

1) A/C does not want to turn on when it's hot outside. By that I mean that the compressor does not turn on when it's about 105 or so per the temp display on the dash. I don't hear/feel it and the trip MPG numbers confirm the compressor isn't pulling power from the engine. I may be 20 or 30 minutes down the freeway, periodically turning it off-on before it finally does turn on. Then I get nice cold air. Seems to be fine in the morning when it in the 80s. I'm in Phoenix so its 105 or more for like 6 months of the year. I replaced the compressor, condenser, expansion valve, lines, and pressure sensor this spring. Worked fine till we hit about 113 then started this crap. Parked it and drove the truck till the heat broke. Tried it again. Was.ok for a few days then started this again.

It seems to be a control issue. I am going to check the ambiant air temp sensor next. See if it's ok or maybe just replace it.

2) The trip counters, MPG, avg speed are reset to 0 the next time I start the car. Started out resetting if I didn't drive it for a few days, but now will be reset when I go home after work. Seems like the power for the memory is going away. Thoughts?

3) Why does the stereo lock up and / or reboot?
No rhyme or reason. No pattern. Seemed to do it more often last winter when its colder out. Makes me think bad connection or solder joint. Is it just junk?

I'm a MOPAR guy so I'm used to twisting wrenches and not afraid to dig into something with a little guidance or instruction.

Thanks in advance.

GnPC

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Sounds like you have some electrical gremlins. 2 and 3 are definitely a failure in the circuits which maintain power when the car is off. All fuses checked? Has there been any aftermarket wiring shenanigans, perhaps by the prior owner?

The GnPC

Agree on the gremlins. I haven't dug into the wiring yet, but now that I have the FSM it's on the to do list. I have found a few things that make me wonder about the prior owners maintenance. For example: the air filter was just nasty and said NISSAN on it. I got the car at almost 90k so how long was it in there?

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Ugh. That's not a good sign.

Does it have an aftermarket audio system, or evidence that one WAS installed previously?

The GnPC

It's the factory one with the navigation option. From the 'left overs' it spent some time in California and Texas and had 6 or 7 phones paired to it.

The GnPC

****UPDATE ****

I pulled the long term storage fuse and stupid handle out of the block in the dash. Really poor contact patch on one side. Just barely on the edge of the contact. Not surprised it would be intermittent. Replaced it with a regular fuse, not a low pro. Hopefully this helps.with the stereo resetting too.

I pulled the stereo out and no monkey business found. It's all factory behind there.

The ambiant air temp sensor was off a bit so I replaced it. Better, but didn't help my AC issues.
I keep finding the pressures are backwards. Low side high and high side low. That's why the AC won't turn on, but what is the cause? If I dump and recharge, pressures are good and all works for a bit. Then it starts to act up and when I check, the pressures are off. WTH?!?!

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”