New Member - 91 Z32 NA - burning/white smoke from firewall

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
tyreidsevrens
Car: 1991 300zx NA Coupe

Hi NICO club!

I've run into a baffling issue with my 91 NA. (I've got several.. which I'll post separately)..

This started after I pulled the plenum for the first time - had to replace a dead injector - so I thought I'd also do the coolant line bypass.

Got the injector in and performed the bypass surgery - drove the car and on the first drive it started smoking badly from the firewall area. It was (and is) not a coolant smell. I've worked on plenty of different motors over the years and this was more of a metal or some chemical burning smell. I can't put my finger on what the heck it is.

I put this video together on my youtube channel.. hoping anyone might be able to recognize the smoke or point me in the direction of where it could be coming from. Maybe I've left something unplugged(?) but I've had the plenum on and off again 3 times now and still can't locate the problem.. I'm stumped.

YouTube Video

Really hoping someone has some thoughts..

(one detail.. I know the car is going to need a rear main seal very soon.. but this does not really smell like burning oil. It's almost like metal burning). All fluids are good. Checked everything.. coolant is a bit low but it's not leaking anywhere on my shop floor.

Hope y'all can give me a hand here!

Thanks kindly
Tyler

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

Are you sure the PCV and EGR lines are connected properly?

tyreidsevrens
Car: 1991 300zx NA Coupe

itsa300zx wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:57 am
Are you sure the PCV and EGR lines are connected properly?
Yes - that said, I'll triple check them before I put this thing back together.

Out of curiosity.. if they weren't.. would the computer throw any codes?

The only codes that I've gotten are related to the (dead) driver side O2 sensor (now replaced) and the MAF (replaced).

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”