New member/2012 QX56/squeal from steering wheel

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
Mrneely357

Absolutely love this website. I have a 2012 QX56 that makes a squealing noise that sounds like it's coming from the steering column when you are turning the steering well left or right. It sounds like a rubber contact that is touching something that's making this annoying squealing sound. Any ideas on how I can make this sound go away? :dblthumb:

marctronixx

hard to tell by your description.

if its in the cabin, could be anything. if its in the engine room could be the steering pump itself.

i mean did this just start to happen or has it been going on for a while???

Mrneely357

I'm sorry. Yes it's in the cabin not in engine dept. It's been going on for about three months now. It's more like when it's humid outside I hear the squeal more as I turn left or right in the cabin compared to a cooler less humid day.

marctronixx

again hard to know what it is. could be anything.

from your description ive not heard anything like that from the inside.

stevek85
Car: CBR1000RR

I have seen a couple of instances where the blue plastic collar around the P/S rack impute shaft makes a squeak noise. You would swear it was coming from inside the cabin but the sound was traveling up the steering shaft. To confirm this is the source of the noise, just spray some penetrating oil on the collar, the noise will go away if thats causing the problem. To fix the noise, remove the 12mm bolt for the steering shaft. Slide the shaft up, but not off. Pull the collar up and put some silicone grease between the rack and the blue collar. Slide the steering shaft back down, re torque the bolt and you should be set.

MrMax
Car: 2012 Infiniti QX56

stevek85 Thank you for the information on your response. My wife's 2012 QX56 began having this similar sounding steering column noise 4 weeks ago. The dealer kept the vehicle for 2 days and stated they could not find any problem. Just one day after getting the vehicle back, the steering column higher pitched "rubbing, squealing" noise returned. She made a video of the sound using her IPhone. Now I must return the vehicle to the dealer but with your information I will have them inspect this potential noise location. Thank you.

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”