New M45 Premium - Question on DVD Audios

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
spunkyvision

I pick up my new M45 Premium Diamond Graphite/ Graphite interior tomorrow..woohoo.Concerning the front Display: If you put in a DVD-Video ie Music, concert ,etc..can you hear it when driving? Obviously it will not play the Video portion when driving but will it play the audio?

And I dont know much about SACD v DVD-A but will the DVD Player play SACDs?

tkeskic
Car: 2006 M35x Premium with "Aero Package" + 2010 QX56 AWD 7 Seat/Premium + 2007 MB ML320cdi

The DVD-A (and your concert disc) will play fine while you are driving; no issues other than a very small group of DVD-A that have been written poor and dont autoplay; this is a VERY small number of discs; (the work around it to park, and use use the menu to start playing the disc, or if you are technical enough, use a program like DVD shrink in your computer to strip the menu's and burn your backup copy of it; it will then self play the disc with no issues.)

In your case the DVD Video with audio you may have to start the disc's play feature before you start driving in order for it to play; this is typical if the disc has a menu system that waits for you to enter something, however as noted above you can use your computer to stripe out the discs menu system, and then you will not have to deal with the menu system, just insert it and it starts playing

I just got my first Super Audio CD and trying to figure out where to play it from to get the best Audio; I'm hoping someone can tell me that; I tried it in both the DVD player and in the in dash 6 changer, but can seem to tell the differance between them.

Any suggestion on this issue would be welcome!tk

jshattner

I don't believe the DVD player is capable of true SACD playback, so you're probably hearing the CD-compatible track on both players and not full multichannel sound.

As for Video Music DVD's, another way around the play start is through the NAV Hack that allows watching DVDs while in motion.

(I'm saying all this from research and not first-hand knowledge since my on-order M has yet to arrive )

tkeskic
Car: 2006 M35x Premium with "Aero Package" + 2010 QX56 AWD 7 Seat/Premium + 2007 MB ML320cdi

jshattner wrote:I don't believe the DVD player is capable of true SACD playback, so you're probably hearing the CD-compatible track on both players and not full multichannel sound.
I'm not realy sure myself, I'm sure others have tried it, I recall reading some one here played his SACD's but I didnt get a sense if this meant he got the "true" 5.1 experance or that it simply played.

I'm certianly eager to here more about this, and when I have some time will play with the disc and see what happens.tk

superjv1080
Car: M45 + FX35

No, our BOSE systems don't play SACD. You'll need to get DVD-Audio disks. Just look for the DVD-Audio symbol on the disk or for a DTS5.1 label. SACD and DVD-Audio are not the same. SACD is newer and there's plenty of discussion on the pros and cons of both. Consider it like Windows vs. Mac. Some people seem passionate over which is superior.

Anyway, even when you're driving you can push the "DISC" button to the right of the round knob to get the control buttons on the screen such as Stop, Play/Pause, Skip(Forward), Skip(Back), Next and Prev. See page 4-52 in the manual. So you can still control the DVD while moving. You just can't view video from the DVD except while parked with the break on.

And yes you can put a DVD concert disk in and listen to it while driving. Again, you'll have to stop and engage the parking break to view the concert video.

While shopping at my local Best Buy for 5.1 disks for my new M, I've found that not all surround CDs come in SACD and DVD-Audio. I would see something I liked only to see the SACD symbol on it. There wasn't a DVD-Audio version of it. Bummer!

tkeskic

Superjv1080;Thanks for the note - I have been using DVD-A's however I got this SACD as a gift... so I thought I would try it, I guess its not going to play anything better than standard CD - which is what it sounded like when I played it. this confirms it;

Thanks for the tips on DVD controls while driving etc; these are helpful, did you happen to know if this works with the menu's on the DVD?tk

spunkyvision

Excellent Guys...Thanks for the replies.. I pick my M45 up in 40 minutes...WOOHOO!!!

superjv1080

tkeskic wrote: did you happen to know if this works with the menu's on the DVD?tk
Not the menu's as you would see while playing the disk on a TV in a standard DVD player. But the "DISC" button brings up standard control functions. Once up, you can use the ENTER switch on the steering wheel to move up/down and then push the ENTER switch to "Push" the button on the screen.

The only way to see the menu from the DVD, as you would on a TV, is to be stopped and engage the parking break. Unless you choose to do the NAV hack.

superjv1080

spunkyvision wrote:Excellent Guys...Thanks for the replies.. I pick my M45 up in 40 minutes...WOOHOO!!!
Congratulations. I got my M45 almost two weeks ago. See zerothread?id=149399.

You must be driving it by now. Wait until you see your mpg at your first fillup. It's to easy to go drive the mess out of it when you get it.

larry.contrisciano
Car: Infiniti M35 sport 06' and Acura TL 04'

Hi folks, my SACD dvd's seem to work fine in my M35 DVD drive. It sounds like surround sound to me, in that it is very rich and alive, and the front seat mounted speakers really come alive.

Also, I have found that Curcuit City and Tower Records web sites offer quite a few DVD 5.1 options. The stores just don't seem to carry much at all.

Lastly, someone in this tread mentioned that you can work the audio part of a DVD video concert, via the DISC controls.. I can't get mine to work, every time I try to use on of the play/skip/etc. options, it just sits there, so I guess I am doing something wrong. (Any advise)

spunkyvision

Just got Home...LOVE MY NEW M45!!!! SWEET RIDE..sorry..I am little excited.

superjv1080

larry.contrisciano wrote:Hi folks, my SACD dvd's seem to work fine in my M35 DVD drive. It sounds like surround sound to me, in that it is very rich and alive, and the front seat mounted speakers really come alive.
An SACD should be able to be played but it will only plan the 2-channel CD portion of the disk and not the 5.1 portion. By using the CenterPoint feature, you'll still hear sound through the seat speakers. But that sound is processed through CenterPoint (much like Dolby Prologic II) taking a stereo feed and creating a spacial surround sound.
larry.contrisciano wrote:Lastly, someone in this tread mentioned that you can work the audio part of a DVD video concert, via the DISC controls.. I can't get mine to work, every time I try to use on of the play/skip/etc. options, it just sits there, so I guess I am doing something wrong. (Any advise)
When you click the DISC button, you'll see the play/skip/etc. options on the screen. You can then use the Up/Down ENTER toggle on the steering wheel or the dial to move up and down the buttons. But, when on a button, you must push the middle dial button or the push the Up/Down toggle on the steering wheel to "push" the button. Let me know if that doesn't work.

superjv1080

spunkyvision wrote:Just got Home...LOVE MY NEW M45!!!! SWEET RIDE..sorry..I am little excited.
Good for you man! Just don't sleep in the car tonight. I sat in my new M45 the night I got it (2 weeks ago) and my wife came out in the garrage to make sure I wasn't staying in it all night.

And welcome to the forums! Hope to see you back often.

spunkyvision

superjv1080 wrote:Good for you man! Just don't sleep in the car tonight. I sat in my new M45 the night I got it (2 weeks ago) and my wife came out in the garrage to make sure I wasn't staying in it all night.

And welcome to the forums! Hope to see you back often.
Thanks!! I am really loving it.
tkeskic wrote: however as noted above you can use your computer to stripe out the discs menu system, and then you will not have to deal with the menu system, just insert it and it starts playing
Can someone point me in the right direction on how to do this?

superjv1080

spunkyvision wrote:Can someone point me in the right direction on how to do this?
You shouldn't need to. I've played many DVD-Audio disks and one concert DVD so far and they all auto-play when I put them in the drive.

You can also use the DISC button to bring up the control menu (play/skip/etc).

tkeskic

http://www.afterdawn.com/softw...k.cfm

is the site you can download it from; There is a number of options in the software that I will not go into, but the basics are you select the parts you want to "backup" You can unselect the menu's and this will force the main program stream only to be recorded;

You will need a PC, and a DVD recorder to burn the discs back to a DVD-R; The side effect of this is you get to make a backup of your DVD's. Important note DO NOT USE the paper lablels, the DVD players in these cars get very hot inside, and the labels could peel off inside the player, not to mention some stickers will warp the disc, making them unplayable over some time.

While this software can do many things, like break copyright, PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS, the program is really designed to allow you to backup your personal collection.

Another program that you may need is DVDDECRYPTER, its hard to get now, you can google for it also... its only 'real' purpose is to break copyright protection - it does some other cool things like advanced re-authoring of the discs. I use these myself as I create my own DVD's and once in a while I loose the original source code for the DVD I created.

tk

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”