new item for tuning BullyDog

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
Voodoo Coupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe 2.5

let me know how that turns out.

LongBeachCoupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe (RIP Hurricane Sandy)
2005 Lexus RX

losenone wrote:So now excuse my n00bness, but you just plug it in and program in whatever you want then unplug it and drive away? Or does the device need to be plugged in at all times?
No you connect it, do the software flashes, then disconnect... Thats why some of the guys are saying they will buy one and "let you use it for $50"...

AFAIK it does NOT go back to stock without connecting it again (battery disconnect doesnt work!) and resetting all the stuff, so if you have any issues etc, you are going to need to bring it back to normal before going to a dealer.

losenone
Car: AC 3.5 CVT K12

Alright so lets do that then lol, save everyone some money.

LongBeachCoupe
2005 Lexus RX

losenone wrote:Alright so lets do that then lol, save everyone some money.
Maybe I would consider being the "party host" and picking one up and renting it out to locals... but first I would need to see some good results with this thing...

The last thing I need right now is for someone to be calling me on the side of the highway bc their trans. blew and now they need me to come by with the kit and bring their car back to stock ASAP before its towed back to the dealer.

Fooling with these things is like messing with a computer's BIOS, without knowing what you are doing you can open a really ugly can of worms.

dldjros69
Car: 2012 Evo Gsr
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

whoa i should really read b4 i post anything....

losenone

I will be the first guinea pig!

As with a BIOS, theres always that sweet "Reset to Defaults" option available.

mcheddadi
Car: R8

I found some more info, need to validate it with the guys at bully dog

"Just make sure you guys understand this tool will NOT do a base reflash, just a realtime reflash.Base reflash - completely rewrites and reprograms the stock ECURealtime reflash - loads the map to the realtime learning ECURealtime reflash is lost when you disconnect the battery."

losenone

Thats perfect then if you wanna swap around the unit. So if something does happen to go wrong just pull off the negative lead and tada right back to factory ECU settings.

vonivo
Car: Altima Coupe 3.5 with all the goodies

does anyone else see people that get this blowing up their engine by going too lean or something or damaging their tranny beyond repair? i have a feeling that people are going to start getting this and tuning for power and end up not just paying for the tuner after something goes bye bye

LongBeachCoupe
2005 Lexus RX

losenone wrote:I will be the first guinea pig!

As with a BIOS, theres always that sweet "Reset to Defaults" option available.
4X4 Of LONG ISLAND1566 MONTAUK HIGHWAYBellport, NY 11713 631-286-2299

They do the "try before you buy" there.... I know you are in the same unemployed boat as I am, and thats not too far from you...

Now lets see if you are as much of a guinea pig as you claim!

If you get positive results, and its a "realtime" flash like Mendi states... I will figure out a good system for us NY guys in a jiffy!

losenone

LongBeachCoupe wrote:
4X4 Of LONG ISLAND1566 MONTAUK HIGHWAYBellport, NY 11713 631-286-2299

They do the "try before you buy" there.... I know you are in the same unemployed boat as I am, and thats not too far from you...

Now lets see if you are as much of a guinea pig as you claim!

If you get positive results, and its a "realtime" flash like Mendi states... I will figure out a good system for us NY guys in a jiffy!
Ugh, Bellport is so far haha. Actually, now that you mention that, I will be starting a new job on Monday that is 5 mins away from home and pays almost double!

Ill give them a shout tomorrow.

LongBeachCoupe
2005 Lexus RX

NICE!Congrats on the new job, I actually just started an advertising company with one of my old partners... Hes Lew, Im Brian, and its a coupon ad company... he doesnt know about NICO and it was his idea to call it...

"LBCoupons" LOL!

losenone

LongBeachCoupe wrote:NICE!Congrats on the new job, I actually just started an advertising company with one of my old partners... Hes Lew, Im Brian, and its a coupon ad company... he doesnt know about NICO and it was his idea to call it...

"LBCoupons" LOL!
HAHA, thats funny. Are you gonna be around tomorrow or this weekend? Take a trip to this place with me if you want.

LongBeachCoupe
2005 Lexus RX

losenone wrote:
HAHA, thats funny. Are you gonna be around tomorrow or this weekend? Take a trip to this place with me if you want.
Tomorrow I can go... only before 4! the rest of the weekend im booked... im not lettin em hook a damn thing up to my car though, ill let you walk off the plank first!

08Coupe
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe

Just a FYI I have had these types of handheld programmers before in 3 of my rides and they usually vin# lock after you performance tune your car (and then became a expensive code checker lol), once you set the car back to stock then it unlocks and you could retune your car or another...I never had this brand so IDK if it applies here for you guys that want to share the unit but I would ask them if you can tune multiple cars with one unit!

mikegtr06
Car: 1995 180sx

08Coupe wrote:Just a FYI I have had these types of handheld programmers before in 3 of my rides and they usually vin# lock after you performance tune your car (and then became a expensive code checker lol), once you set the car back to stock then it unlocks and you could retune your car or another...I never had this brand so IDK if it applies here for you guys that want to share the unit but I would ask them if you can tune multiple cars with one unit!
this is from the instructions.

After you have taken your original vehicle back to stock, you can install the Power Pup™ in a different vehicle. Before installing however, update the product online using the Update Agent. Before installing the Power Pup on a different vehicle, be certain that the new vehicle fits within the range of vehicle applications that are compatible with the part number and software version number associated with the Power Pup.

dangeris
Car: 08 Code Red 3.5
08 BMW 328xi Coupe
90 300ZX 2+0 NA

streetracer33r wrote:Just ordered it for my V6 but got hte Triple GT one
Where did you order the GT? On the Bully Dog website, when you in put the make model year and type of engine on their site, the only unit that comes up is the Power Pup Gas Nissan 05 - 09 (item#44590)

D-Roll
Car: 08 Nissan 350Z Touring Coupe

So I've noticed that after changing the settings on the Power Pup, the car is a lil more pep in the midrange powerband. I attempted to test the speddometer limiter on the hwy last night, but there was too much traffic so maybe tonight I can test it out. Overall I am satisfied with the device so far.

08Coupe
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe

D-Roll wrote: I attempted to test the speddometer limiter on the hwy last night, but there was too much traffic so maybe tonight I can test it out.
I remember those days

dangeris
Car: 08 Code Red 3.5
08 BMW 328xi Coupe
90 300ZX 2+0 NA

D-Roll wrote:So I've noticed that after changing the settings on the Power Pup, the car is a lil more pep in the midrange powerband. I attempted to test the speddometer limiter on the hwy last night, but there was too much traffic so maybe tonight I can test it out. Overall I am satisfied with the device so far.
Ok,..I need a little clarification. first off, has anyone confirmed this...
mcheddadi wrote:I found some more info, need to validate it with the guys at bully dog

"Just make sure you guys understand this tool will NOT do a base reflash, just a realtime reflash.Base reflash - completely rewrites and reprograms the stock ECURealtime reflash - loads the map to the realtime learning ECURealtime reflash is lost when you disconnect the battery."
Also..is this Power Pup only good for one tune or one car at a time?

dldjros69
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

181 mph that is freaken sick

Good luck Droll keep us posted

so far i like what i see...

D-Roll

dldjros69 wrote:181 mph that is freaken sick

Good luck Droll keep us posted

so far i like what i see...
Not that I'll ever go that fast LOL.

dangeris-I confirmed that my car runs smoother after setting the device to premium tune, increased the rpm limiter to 6600, advanced timing +2, and increased idle by 50. I will test out the speedlimiter when there's no traffic or troopers, and update y'all. I dont expect to go 160pmh but just wanna make sure I can go over 110mph.

JDRosenberg07
Car: 08 Altima Coupe 2.5 6MT

That sounds good to me. that 6100RPM limiter kills me...lol

Okay noob question but what effect does changing the timing have?

LinkNuc
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 3.5 SE Super Black 6MT, Loaded minus Moon Roof Deflector

Basically makes the spark plug fire a little quicker or "sooner" on the compression stroke...if you advance the timing to much you'll get "pinging" which is a pre-detonation or a detonation before teh piston is at optimal height relative to the cylinder

Timing is talked about in reference to degrees offset from Top Dead Center (TDC)

The idea is to advance the timing to the point of maximum detonation without pinging...usually a +2 works well...anything more gets hairy...pinging won't kill your engine i.e. find the "ping point" then back off from there, but you don't want to do it long or repeatedly....(that's what she said)...

crankshaft
Modified by LinkNuc at 1:50 PM 2/6/2009

dldjros69
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

LinkNuc wrote:but you don't want to do it long or repeatedly
dont do what to long??

D-Roll

dldjros69 wrote:
dont do what to long??
You dont want the "pinging" to go on for too long, if so, boom goes the motor The Bully Dog only allows you to advance timing +/-2

dldjros69
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

So pretty much you tune it to the point of right before pinging?

Or are you saying you dont want to have your daily driving timing advanced for to long?

Tommy:]
Car: Altima Coupe 2.5s MT

Mike, Voodoo, let me know how it turns out on your coupes! I'm interested in this one. I live pretty close to one of the distributors

08altima35
Car: 08 Altima Coupe 3.5SE 6Speed Manny Artisan Turbo Dark Slate

I got ahold of the turbochargers.com folks in houston and they are bullydog dealers. I was told they'd get one in stock and check out how effective it was. Hopefully i'll hear back soon.

mikegtr06
Car: 1995 180sx

what happened to
08altima35 wrote:help yourself dude, i'm not interested
i was skeptical at first too... but now i want to try it alot !!!!!

Return to “Altima General Discussions”