New Infiniti owner here - questions on features?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
mrnightsky
Car: 2013 M37x

Hello all!

I'm now a proud owner of 2013 M37x with Premium/Tech package and have a few questions that I'm hoping you can help me with. First time Infiniti/Nissan product here. I've always been a Honda guy.

(1) When I turned the cruise control on, I didn't see any indicator showing that the CC function was turned on. I was still able to activate it, it just didn't say anything on the display. Is this a common or known issue and is there a fix for it?

(2) I can't seem to access the "Driver Assistance" setting to change the Blind spot/lane departure/front forward collision settings. The Driver Assistance button is always greyed out. I've tried accessing it both while driving and while parked.

(3) When the blind spot warning is turned on, I can see the warning light lit up by the windows. Am I also supposed to see an indication on the gauge cluster if I were to turn the blinker on?

I've only picked up the car yesterday so these are some of the questions I've run into so far. I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future.

Thanks in advance for any response and/or help.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Welcome to the forum!

1) The display in the speedometer should change to show a cruise light I believe. I have the intelligent cruise system in my car, but I know when I enable cruise my display changes and shows me '-- MPH' for the set speed (not set yet)

2) Not entirely sure here...

3) No, the car will beep at you and the lights on the windows will blink a few times.

mrnightsky

Ilya wrote:Welcome to the forum!

1) The display in the speedometer should change to show a cruise light I believe. I have the intelligent cruise system in my car, but I know when I enable cruise my display changes and shows me '-- MPH' for the set speed (not set yet)

2) Not entirely sure here...

3) No, the car will beep at you and the lights on the windows will blink a few times.
Thanks!!
1) That's what I thought. But the display in my speedometer didn't change to show the cruise light or the speed after it had been set.
This is probably something I need to bring in for service for them to look at.

2) This is where you would go to for the driver assistance settings, right? What position is your ignition when you're allowed to access this menu?

3) Ah, so just the beep and the lights on the window? That's what the car did. I thought I read in the manual, that there's a BSW indicator light in the speedometer as well.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I'll see if I can't confirm all three for ya next time I'm in the car. Keep in mind mine is 2 years older.

mazz
Car: 2013 M37x Advance, Tech Touring and Premium, Black with Stone Interior

the cruise control status is shown between the speedometer and tach in the upper part of that gauge cluster .
Funny how little i remember where things are and what they are called except when sitting in the drivers seat!!
Mazz

mazz
Car: 2013 M37x Advance, Tech Touring and Premium, Black with Stone Interior

in answer to # 2 please clarify where you are seeing or looking for driver assistance setting are you looking in main screen[map screen ] under settings or on the gauges what show speed etc?
#3 the blind spot warning is noticeable in the side lights by the mirrors as you indicated i don't think its on the speed/tach cluster.
The button you can push on steering wheel below the cruise control [DCA?] setting will lite up an indicator on the speed/tach gauge cluster.
i got the same car let me know if you need help to speed up the learning curve.
Mazz

mrnightsky

mazz wrote:the cruise control status is shown between the speedometer and tach in the upper part of that gauge cluster .
Funny how little i remember where things are and what they are called except when sitting in the drivers seat!!
Mazz
Yes, the little display that shows the gas mileage, average speed, average mpg, etc.
When I turn the CC on, I would expect to see the status on here, but it's not showing at all. The only way I know the CC is working is when I set the CC and let go of the gas pedal, it was still going the same speed. The adaptive CC was functional as well. I just don't see the status on the display. And to reply to your comment below about the CC indicator, none lit up either.
mazz wrote:in answer to # 2 please clarify where you are seeing or looking for driver assistance setting are you looking in main screen[map screen ] under settings or on the gauges what show speed etc?
#3 the blind spot warning is noticeable in the side lights by the mirrors as you indicated i don't think its on the speed/tach cluster.
The button you can push on steering wheel below the cruise control [DCA?] setting will lite up an indicator on the speed/tach gauge cluster.
Mazz
As for question #2, I'm trying to access the menu where you can turn on or turn off the blind spot, lane departure, and forward collision warning.
In the manual, it says that I need to press on setting -> Driver Assistance --> Driver Assistance Warnings.
However, when I press setting, the "Driver Assistance" key is grayed out and not selectable.

And I will definitely take you up on your offer should I have more questions about the features.

Thanks again for your help!

mrnightsky

Could anyone with a tech package be so kind to take a picture of their display after they press "Setting"?

Thanks in advance!

mrnightsky

mazz wrote:in answer to # 2 please clarify where you are seeing or looking for driver assistance setting are you looking in main screen[map screen ] under settings or on the gauges what show speed etc?
Mazz
Mazz,

I received your PM but I think due to my low post counts, I can't send PMs yet so I wasn't able to respond privately.
If you'd be so kind to email the pic of your setting display to my e-mail, I'd really appreciate it:

fitfatass at gmail dot com

Thanks in advance for your trouble!

emm3seven
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37x w/Tech + Touring

Hate to necro this post, but did you ever get a resolution to this problem? This is the top google hit and there's no resolution posted.

Just picked up a 2011 M37x w/Tech pkg and I'm having this precise problem. Burned an hour with a dealer tech who told me that they thought I had a non-OEM instrument cluster that was installed when the vehicle was imported from Canada to the US (changing odo from km to miles) and the cluster was either incompatible somehow or programmed incorrectly. They wanted $2000 parts + labor to install a new OEM cluster.

satown210
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37
2005 Nissan Xterra Off Road

That's a garbage diagnosis. The cluster can be pulled to verify the part number. Then they should be able to check the firmware using their Consult software. Don't expect this to be done for free but it would be the proper steps before replacing the cluster.

emm3seven

Thanks. You know how it is talking "through" a service advisor to understand what the tech actually saw...hard to get a straight answer. I think the net takeaway was the tech was saying "something's goofy with your instrument cluster". I did hear the advisor say that they explicitly checked whether the cluster had any available firmware updates, and it did not.

After doing some more research, I noticed that there's two separate part numbers for the instrument cluster (a.k.a. "combination meter"), one with tech package, one without:

Tech: 24820-1MA5A (or -1MA0A, -1MA2A, -1MA3A)
Non-Tech: 24820-1MA5B (or -1MA0B, -1MA2B, -1MA3B)

I'm wondering if the Canada > US importer used the non-tech part. Does anyone know if the actual part number for the cluster can be queried using CONSULT? I know the part number is on a sticker on the back, but man getting it out is not fun.

cliffyk
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37 w/ "Premium" package

THe central LCD screen between the speedometer and tachometer should look like this with the CC on:

Malbec 56 Beast
Car: 2013 Infiniti M66xS Totaled 4/11/20
What's next???
2010 Subaru Legacy
1983 Porsche 928 S Euro (Sold) 2/17/20

When I turn on my CC the screen between the speedo and tach changes. It has Cruise that lights up and when you set it mine has bars that come up and depending on what the distance is set to a "car" will appear in the screen and automatically allow the car down.

On lane departure, there are a cluster of buttons on the left side of the dash that is low. I can turn on the backup sensors, turn the lane departure on and off.

In you turn on the button, the lowest on the right side you will turn on the lane departure system which helps you stay in your lane and avoid cars. Two green lights turn on on your speedo. When you get warnings they change from green to orange.

Just like was said earlier I can't remember exactly what these buttons look like.

Good luck

Andy

emm3seven

Thanks Malbec and cliffyk. It's good to confirm the proper behavior, and your description is what I expected was "normal" based on reading the owner's manual.

To be clear, just like the OP posted 3+ years ago, none of those things happen when I engage any of the tech package driver assistance functions or adaptive cruise. There is literally *zero* visual feedback anywhere on the cluster for any tech package option. The center dot matrix display between the dial gauges does not change (just keeps showing trip meter/MPG/temp/whatever I have it set to), and indicator lamps in the gauge cluster that are specific to tech package never light up. In fact, I confirmed last night that instrument cluster warning lamps for things like lane departure (only on tech package), which should briefly illuminate when the ignition is turned on, do not light up on my cluster.

Interestingly enough, the warning beeps *do* sound for things like lane departure, though I'm not sure if those sounds are generated by the cluster or by the AV system.

I think my next step is to confirm that I have the right instrument cluster part number (i.e. 24820-1MA5A, or -1MA0A, -1MA2A, -1MA3A). I have a strong suspicion that I in fact have the wrong, non-tech-package cluster.

Malbec 56 Beast
Car: 2013 Infiniti M66xS Totaled 4/11/20
What's next???
2010 Subaru Legacy
1983 Porsche 928 S Euro (Sold) 2/17/20

I sent you an email to your Gmail acct

With a few pics

The orange lights that are on are due to the fact that my snow set of wheels and tires have no tpms sensors

Let me know

emm3seven

Quick update on this thread for posterity -

I managed to get a look at the back of my "combination meter" today, and I confirmed that it does indeed have the wrong part - it has 24820-1MA3B, which is for cars without the technology package. This explains the behavior I'm seeing.

I'm planning to replace it with the proper part number, which is 24820-1MA0A (or -1MA2A / 3A / 5A). Will update the thread after that swap is done in a week or so after the part comes in.

satown210
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37
2005 Nissan Xterra Off Road

This raises more questions now. It seems as if the importer himself installed a cluster and did not have the proper one installed. If he had the proper one installed it would of been programmed with the correct mileage for the car. Looking like someone just installed a used cluster in the car and didn't have it programmed. Had it been taking to Infiniti for programming, they would of seen it was incorrect. I'd pull a carfax and compare mileage history if possible.

emm3seven

It's definitely disappointing and a little eyebrow-raising, but it doesn't raise more questions for me. The Carfax is properly sequential, showing Canadian government recording of odometer in km < 30 days before auction, and the documentation from km/miles from US DOT is all above board and lines up. It's not unheard of for used clusters to be reprogrammed with the proper mileage by specialty shops - there are many cluster repair/refurbish services online that do this for a fee after signing a waiver. I already assumed that the part the importer installed was used, and reprogrammed. But I agree with your statement that there wasn't anyone knowledgeable involved in sourcing the proper part, certainly not a dealer.

On that topic, though, my research hasn't turned up any evidence that Infiniti dealers have a universal way to program odometers - e.g. you can't just plug in a Consult-III+ to a newly installed odometer and say "set it to 65,314 miles". Based on my research, most dealers who replace a cluster would outsource that reprogramming to specialty shops who have developed the tools and processes to push new odometer values to the EEPROM on the cluster. (Or, if your dealer is less savvy, they'd just hand you a "zero miles" cluster and a form that says your odometer no longer matches your car's actual mileage.)

Perhaps unsurprisingly, odometer (re)programming is a topic that's hard to find good information on - if anyone here is an Infiniti tech and could chime in, I'd love to hear it from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

emm3seven

It's fixed!

Picked up a used 24820-1MA2A cluster (for cars w/tech pkg) to replace the incorrect 24820-1MA3B cluster (for cars without tech pkg). Had the cluster reprogrammed for $100 to match the mileage of the cluster it replaced.

Here's the before picture, hard to tell it's missing if you don't know it's supposed to be there, but there's no adaptive cruise control information anywhere on the display:

And here's the cluster now, properly showing adaptive cruise / DCA info in the top 40% of the display:

As a bonus, the driver assistance settings screen finally works now (before, I couldn't even access this screen, just like the OP from way back in 2016):

And as a further bonus, the green indicator lights in the cluster for Lane Departure / Blind Spot actually light up now.

If anyone else runs into this problem (say, from another botched Canadian import of an M with tech pkg), here are two places that will sell you used clusters, with 90 day warranty, programmed to the proper mileage:
Tanin Auto Electronics (great folks to work with, but I ultimately didn't buy from them because they couldn't get the part in the timeframe I needed it)
eBay seller instrumentclusterstore (where I got my used cluster - they reprogrammed it to the proper mileage before shipping for an extra fee)

Also, to address a parallel question from this thread, I confirmed via the local Infiniti dealer that they have no tools onsite to change the mileage of an odometer. If a customer needs a replacement instrument cluster, they order the part (which comes in with zero miles), then send the part offsite to a specialty shop to be reprogrammed. For Infiniti clusters at least, used odometers and new odometers are reprogrammed the same way, and there's no restrictions on which "direction" a cluster can be programmed. For example, you could get a used odometer with 150,000 miles and have it reprogrammed to 63,000 miles, and it's the same programming process to take a new cluster from 0 miles to 63,000 miles. I have not seen the programming process firsthand, but having a computer engineering background, I believe they are simply accessing the EEPROM chip directly on the circuit board and adjusting the stored mileage value.

Glad to finally put this oddity to bed!

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”