New idea found for front suspension modification

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
swimshark
Car: Bamboo Mist 1994 Infiniti J30 Soon to RIPs

Pearl White 1993 Infiniti J30 Project Ghost

Ok. First step is done. I got a 300zx z32 front sway bar and s13 endlinks to try and fit on my car and it works! Here are some pics of what I did. Next part is getting the front spindles and coilovers. Coilovers is the main part that is holding me back. I can't find a good set right now for a decent price.

Shows how the stock endlink mounts to the McPherson strut

How the sway bar mounts and how they flattened out a section

Comparison of the sway bars. 300zx sway bar is in front. The arms are slightly shorter which is what I need.

Got new endlinks from Advanced

Everything bolted up

The stock sway bar sat above the subframe. I had to push the 300zx sway bar behind that for it to sit properly to get mounted.

Should have the s13 spindles some time this week and try them on a junk J30 to see if they fit.

thejapino
Car: '93 J30t

Good job swimshark. You're becoming the J30 suspension swap guru. Let me fill you in on what I've been pondering (I'm sure you've been thinking the same)

I wanna do the S-chassis suspension swap on the J like the Y33 Q45 guys have been doing. Their front suspension is the same design (strut/spindle, swaybar endlink to strut) but they have a cheap/budget way of lowering their rides:
http://www.vipstylecars.com/forums/show ... php?t=7218

You're onto something with using a 300zx swaybar. If you don't mind losing ABS (or not), S13/S14 control arms, ball joints, spindle, appropriate 5-lug hub, aftermarket tie rod end, and aftermarket TC rod may fit a J! In fact, I'm sure it will.

Coilovers listed for 97-01 Q45's (Y33) sometimes also list to fit Y32 (yahoo.jp). There's a guy on VIPstylecars.com using Y32 coilovers on a Y33 no problem. If S-chassis parts fit onto Y33 with ease, then they should fit onto Y32's just as easy! Wait a minute, we OWN Y32's!!

Right now I'm collecting all of the OEM parts for this swap first. S13 front control arms/ball joints/knuckles can be had for cheap by people parting their cars. Aftermarket S-chassis tie rod ends and TC rods are all over the place, buy the beefiest ones. Front 5 lug conversion hubs are getting cheaper. S13 coilovers are EVERYWHERE, just get some with higher spring rates. I see the J30 becoming the next cheap 4-door drift car (cressida?).

Stay tuned, I hope to have everything collected by the end of this month, then its write-up time! Happy modding

yodawill2000
Car: 94 Infiniti J30

You better post a pic of Jenny !!

thejapino

You better post a pic of Jenny !!
I'll post 'before and after' pics... after I do everything. :mrgreen:

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

Like Yoda, I'm looking forward to pics.

thejapino

swimshark, could you spare a pair of front hubs from your junk j30? Pick n pulls around here want too much for 'em.

#1 Sailor Scout
Car: 2007 Honda Civic LX
Infiniti J30 fan

So from what I'm gathering from this post is that Z32 suspension parts will fit on the J30???

thejapino

Yes and no. Swimshark used 300ZX swaybars. The page I linked uses 240SX parts. I'm assuming you just skimmed through the thread..

yodawill2000

Not to be the Devil's advocate :gapteeth:
But isn't the stuff that goes into a 240SX designed for a MUCH lighter car ??
These J's are tanks considering the size.
:chuckle:

thejapino

Yeah, that was my biggest concern. Looking through the Vipstylecars.com forums, i noticed they were upgrading their springs to those of higher spring rates. As far as links/arms, they used only good quality aftermarket parts. Y33 Q45's weigh around 3800 lbs. and s-chassis suspension owners seem to be doing ok.

swimshark

Well to let you guys know I finally did it. I bought a pair of s14 front spindles. They are the 5-lug style and I bought a set that had ABS sensors. $200 shipped from a junkyard in Ohio. I saw that some of yall considered about keeping them and that is what I wanted to do also. Then concerning the spring rate, yes these cars are about 800lbs heavier than a 240sx and I did buy used coilovers, but I made sure they had generally stiff enough springs that also have a good bit of travel. I may consider buying some stiffer springs for the rear.

As for the front sway bar. It is a 300zx z32 front sway bar (NA and TT) with 240sx sway bar endlinks to mount directly to the lower control arm.

I kept the J30 lower control arm but had to swap the J30 ball joints for the s14 ball joints. Yes there is a difference between the s13, s14 and J30. The J30 ball joints were slightly too big and the s13 are too small. So I went to a local Pull A Part and pulled a set of J30 LCA and bought the s14 ball joints and swapped them out myself. Also I had to buy the s14 tie rod end links. The threading is the same on the tie rod, but the ball joint on the endlink is a different size.

The advantage of this is that you can directly bolt up the coilovers to the spindles instead of doing the weld method shown on here previously. I will go ahead and post pics.

For the swap I had to modify the brake dust shield and cut it so I could bend it back since the J30 rotor is bigger. I also had to cut a portion off the shield to fit the J30 caliper. As for the top mount of the coilover, I had to redrill some holes since the bolt spacing is slightly different than the J30. The ABS sensor also bolt right into the s14 spindle and I have no issues when it drives. The reason I took a metal saw and cut slits into the rolled portion of the strut tower was to bend them down so I can fully bolt onto the tower itself.

As for the camber, I had to adjust it all the way out and have a bout -1 degree of camber still up front. I am still waiting to get my suspension tuned by a local performance. It currently has about -3 to -3.5 degrees of camber in the rear. I bought adjustable rear upper control arms from SPL Parts for the s13/s14/300zx(z32). Once they can tune it I'll have them put a slightly aggressive street tune.

If anyone has more questions on this please let me know.

yodawill2000

Nice Job !!!!!!!!

swimshark

here is how it sits

jdurrty
Car: j30

hot damn!!

Patrik
Car: 1991 Nissan Cedric Gran Tourismo SV

i am sorry for the thread revival but i really wanted to thank swimshark, i really had an a** of a time to find my self a suspension for my Y32 Cedric but this is awsome info ! finally i can lower the car more than just my low down springs !!!!!!!

Thanks again !

i0shez0i
Car: 1996 Infiniti J30

Did you ever find out if a 300zx's or 240sx's front lower control arm with fit a J30?

rckc0129
Car: 1994 Infinity J30

Need help!...anyone swap front lower control arms on a j30?...it would appear that s14 will work. Looking to go with fully adjustable lowers and tension rods. by all accounts it appears that it would work. just hoping for somone who has done it.

Monkii87
Car: Infiniti J30

I need help I have a 95 j30 & when I first got out suspensions were horrible now they are competley gone I need to know the cheapest way to replace them asap no yunk yards have any please help asap.and what about a lowwer control arm any ideas????

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”