New.... I have questions

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
Jswaggy96
Car: 2007 Nissan 350z

ok so I am new to the 350z seen and I have a 2007 Nissan 350z all stock besides cold air intakes and I want to add power quick and easy... Where do I start? And another question. On the VQ35HR motor,, turbocharge it or supercharge it? What's more efficient? what's easier? Cheaper? Builds more power? What websites do you all get parts from? For this stuff? Thanks guys! Any help wanted!

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Whoa there! First welcome to the forum. :)

Here's a few questions for you. What are you trying to accomplish with your mods? Do you have a set goal in mind? How much are you prepared to spend? How much work will you be doing yourself? How much experience do you have in doing any thing like this?

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

Rogue One wrote:Do you have a set goal in mind? How much are you prepared to spend?
This, this, this!

Without knowing your budget and your goals there's not much we can really tell you. If you were to ask me, "what are the best coilovers for my Z?" and I then tell you Moton Clubsports (which retail for a little over $5000) it's a little overkill if you've got a $2000 budget and all you really wanted was to drop you car a little.

jerryd1987
Car: 03 350z many mods inc next year

Jswaggy96 wrote:ok so I am new to the 350z seen and I have a 2007 Nissan 350z all stock besides cold air intakes and I want to add power quick and easy... Where do I start? And another question. On the VQ35HR motor,, turbocharge it or supercharge it? What's more efficient? what's easier? Cheaper? Builds more power? What websites do you all get parts from? For this stuff? Thanks guys! Any help wanted!
what they said first of all
second in terms of supercharger vs turbo, in the modern day unless you have a full fab shop that R&D's superchargers for race specific platforms a turbo is always going to be better. in the last 15 years turbos have seen massive improvements and get new versions released almost yearly with more advanced designs. superchargers on the other hand have seen no major updates except for the eaton tvs blowers which arnt even available on this platform until late this year early next year directly through me, even those superchargers arnt anything special as they cost about the same as a whipple charger and perform about the same. heres the actual facts

positive displacement blowers like roots and whipple are the only supercharger that make power right off idle, unfortunately as of this moment the only one available is the stillen kit which uses a tiny m62 eaton unit the same as what comes on the cobalt ss and other supercharged 2.0 ecotec engines its super tiny, centrifugal superchargers that are most common on this platform like procharger and vortech operate on the same compressor principals as a turbo and as such have lag just like a turbo, this can be altered with pulley size just like a turbo alters it with different sized AR's.

since they are driven off the crank and will have a set speed per supercharger size and gearing they actually perform the opposite of turbos for spool, with a turbo you size smaller for spool, with the centrifugal blowers you size bigger to get more airflow at a lower engine rpm. the problem with this is that turbos have advanced so quickly that they spool insanely fast and a 6766(1000whp turbo) literally spools faster then the baddest bolt on supercharger setup for the vq(about a 600whp superchagrer.) because compressor wheels havnt advanced like the turbos. in order to get the spool of the standard gt35 t3 turbos that people see you would literally need a roughly 2200ish whp supercharger. when comparing similar sized centri supercharger vs turbo the turbo will spool faster and make more average and peak power.

finally there is parasitic drag, the amount of power it takes to turn a supercharger is exponentially proportional to the boost pressure aka resistance to flow. at 12 psi a vortech unit requires roughly 50 hp to spin, so in other words at 400 whp the engine is really making 450 whp but the supercharger is using 50 of it to turn so you only see 400 hp but the engine is experience the wear of 450 hp. a turbo on the other hand is using mayby 1/3rd a horsepower at the same point so it can make the same 400 whp and experience less wear because the turbo does not consume much power. this is exponential as boost increases, at around 20 psi the supercharger takes about 125-150 hp to spin vs a turbo taking about 1 hp. so despite people saying a supercharger has less wear it is in fact the exact opposite, especially since your putting alot more pressure on the number 1 main bearing because of the supercharger belt every time i see this comment it is from someone who has never even owned a boosted car or someone who dropped their car off at a shop with a check and have no performance based experience.

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”