New Here with a ton of questions lol

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
rtc1184
Car: 1985 Nissan 720 king cab 2.4 5spd 4wd

hello all. I am new to the forum. I have done some searching and have a ton of questions. first off I would like to say I am pretty mechanically incline but not with carb style motors. I own a diesel performance shop in texas as I have sever high hp diesel trucks. ive also had 2 titans. one I did a sas and a diesel swap in with 11" of lift and 40's.

I have an 85 Nissan king cab 720 4wd z24 4cyl 5spd manual.
ive done accel plug wires, ngk plugs both intake and exhaust, new msd coils.

my questions:
need to know what all vacuum lines I can unhook from the stock carb that are unnessary
how to unhook all the emmisions and smog junk like the charcoal filter ect
truck has a bad vibration at 60-65mph like a wheel is going to come off. check ball joints and they have some play but very little.
what is the best and easiest carb to replace the stock factory one with for just a little more power and still smooth?

mods coming:
new bilstein custom 7100 remote resi shocks all the way around
2.5-3" lift
265/75/16 pro comp extreme at tires
new 16" pro comp black wheels
custom made rear leaf springs
stage 1 clutch kit
building my own front and rear bumpers
6000-8000lb synthetic rope winch

truck has 122k miles runs good, just needs a little help in 5th gear. would like to turbo it with small 3-5psi for that extra ump. did some reading and everyone said the k4 manifold will fit just have to gasket match it to the z24 exhaust side of the head. also read that everyone seems to do either the blow thru or the megasquirt both of which im an totally lost. will this motor survive on 3-5psi of boost or will it not hold it. its just a commuter so I don't have to put so many miles on my diesel trucks and its a heck of a lot cheaper to fill up lol.

thanks for the help

petercscherer
Car: 1972 Datsun 240Z
1982 Datsun 720 2WD

First off, welcome to the NICO forums!

Regarding your questions, there are several great articles on vacuum line removal one in particular is
vacuum-line-removal-t556957.html

In response to your query about the vibration, I cannot claim to be an expert on these front ends YET, but I might also check out your steering linkage, there is a rubber connector under the hood beneath the brake cylinder, it may have some loose bolts in it. Otherwise, it may be helpful to get a reputable front end estimate from a good alignment shop.

Best carb to directly replace Datsun carbs with is a Weber. Weber carb will give you better MPG, Power, and a functioning secondary. Good site for getting the easy kit is:
http://www.redlineweber.com/carb-kits/a ... san-truck/
You can also find the kits for cheaper on eBay or Amazon.

Tough problem with turbo-install on the Z24 engines is finding a good fuel delivery system. You are right that the KA24DE exhaust is very similar, but the intake side is quite different. Turbo-charging THROUGH your stock Hitachi or even the new Webers would require that you pressurize the entire carburetor. For the costs that you will encounter, its far better to install a KA24DE (The engine bolts up to your trans, you only need to fab motor mounts), and then install a full turbo kit onto the EFI intake.

Cheers,
~Peter

rtc1184

thank you for the reply. I have been looking at the redline weber performance series. just heard a bunch of horror stories about setting up a weber for the first time. im not familiar with carbs, but I know they use a vacuum/syphon system. as the air passes over the jets, the fuel is delivered. the carb itself isn't pressurized or it would come out of the overflow causing the float to stick. its pressure to the carb, then from there its syphoned or vacuumed by the air passing thru it if my understanding is correct.

rtc1184

also does anyone know the plug that goes into the winshield washer fluid motor? mine was rusted away and don't know which plug it is. just bought a universal fluid motor to plumb inline but need to know which wires it is.

petercscherer
1982 Datsun 720 2WD

Here are some other very helpful links that may answer some of your questions:
faq-s-look-here-before-creating-a-thread-t464778.html
diy-thread-for-720-s-t474226.html

:)
~Peter

petercscherer
1982 Datsun 720 2WD

suggestions-building-a-z24-t550652.html

I found this thread while planning mine own upgrades and there is quite a bit of information on turbos and upgrades that you also may find helpful.

~Peter

Turbodatsun
Car: D21 Navara with Z24

Hey guys, you may want to check out one of our websites here

http://www.turbodatsun.com

my own daily driver is a D21 Navara with Z24 engine and blow through Weber turbo setup. If you click on the "DYNO MULE" button at the top of the page, you'll see a story of the different setups and dyno info. go to "stage 3" for the photos of the turbo setup.

Blow through carby is very simple, I'm not sure why it's gotten a reputation for being complicated, the only thing complicated is that you have to increase fuel pressure with boost pressure, or else the boost will force the fuel back into the fuel tank, but we have a fuel system with high pressure pump and fuel pressure regulator to take care of that.

We will be selling the the turbo kits soon, just doing the final touches now. And are already selling the blow through carby kits, have been for years, But the turbo and blow through setup give it a good 70% power increase over stock carby, and that's only at 7psi of boost. a 100% power increase is very easy.

For more dyno info and blow through related gear, you can check out one of the other websites, http://www.turbogemini.com has the most info about blow through turbo stuff.

Cheers

Turbodatsun
Car: D21 Navara with Z24

Probably worth a mention that our turbo kits are now for sale, you can check them out here:
http://www.turbodatsun.com/For_Sale.htm

also, we have new info under the dyno mule section of the website with a write up otitles Stage 3 which is of the turbo kit development and performance measured on the dyno. The next steps are to wind the boost up and intercooling.

Cheers

Return to “Datsun 720”