New here

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
MitchF
Car: 1989 R32 Skyline GTR

HI everyone,

I just joined today and thought I´d do an intro. This isn´t my first forum so I´ve got some ideas on the basics. I probably won´t be active much unless it´s to ask a question but that doesn´t mean I won´t be lurking and reading up on things.

Anyway aboout me: well I´m pretty young 18 to be exact, I´m from The United States (Arizona) and am the proud owner of a 1989 R32 Skyline GTR. I´ve been into cars forever, my grandfather owns a local car tire/maintenance chain, so I have grown up surrounded by cars. I have always had a certain attraction to imports. When I was finally old enough (about 6) to kind of understand the fast and furious movies I fell in love with Skyline, thus my quest began. I´d saved money forever, and finally had the cash to buy one back in September so I pulled the trigger...I have yet to be disappointed.

Anyway, thanks all for giving this a look, if you want I´d be more than happy to post pics. Just leave a comment.

Best regards,

Mitchell

Wildtraveler
Car: 2012 mazdaspeed
1989 BNR32

Welcome and congrats I had to wait till i was 33 to get one.

MitchF

Wildtraveler wrote:Welcome and congrats I had to wait till i was 33 to get one.
Thanks very much man. Yeah, The 25 year law happened to lapse just after I got my license, which was timely to say the least. Anyway, thanks very much man, I hope to learn quite a bit here.

Mitch

MitchF

Hey everyone, I know it has been a while since my last post, I have been doing a lot of reading to try and really understand the fundamentals of the r32, and so far this forum has been a colossal help.

I´m posting because I´ve run into an issue on turbo swapping. Now I have found several different BNR34 turbos online in various places in varying degrees of degradation for a multitude of prices. But it seems like for a good set I´m going to have to shell out about $750-900 bucks. No big deal. However it becomes a big deal when I don´t know if I need an oil restrictor or not. I have read on some forums that you absolutely must have an oil restrictor if you swap to r34 turbos, and on others that its a simple bolt on replacement, is there anyway someone could clear this up for me? I just don´t want to spend $800 on turbos and then blow them up.

Another reason I am posting is because over the last few months of owning the car I have noticed that it does not appear to have a rev limiter. The car revs freely up to 9000 (I did this once on accident, and once again to test if it was just a fluke). I have read that the tachometer can be a bit optimistic with its numbers at high revs, but it seems like (given the factory red line of 8000) that the rev limiter would come in much earlier than that. I would just like to know if this is a normal occurrence or if my car has somehow had the limiter removed.

thank you all for reading, again your input is greatly valued.

Mitch

GSX-R35
Car: 2010 Black Obsidian TSM Pro Eight R35
1999 Midnight Purple 2 R34 V-spec
1990 Gun Metal Grey Nismo R32

MitchF wrote:Hey everyone, I know it has been a while since my last post, I have been doing a lot of reading to try and really understand the fundamentals of the r32, and so far this forum has been a colossal help.

I´m posting because I´ve run into an issue on turbo swapping. Now I have found several different BNR34 turbos online in various places in varying degrees of degradation for a multitude of prices. But it seems like for a good set I´m going to have to shell out about $750-900 bucks. No big deal. However it becomes a big deal when I don´t know if I need an oil restrictor or not. I have read on some forums that you absolutely must have an oil restrictor if you swap to r34 turbos, and on others that its a simple bolt on replacement, is there anyway someone could clear this up for me? I just don´t want to spend $800 on turbos and then blow them up.

Another reason I am posting is because over the last few months of owning the car I have noticed that it does not appear to have a rev limiter. The car revs freely up to 9000 (I did this once on accident, and once again to test if it was just a fluke). I have read that the tachometer can be a bit optimistic with its numbers at high revs, but it seems like (given the factory red line of 8000) that the rev limiter would come in much earlier than that. I would just like to know if this is a normal occurrence or if my car has somehow had the limiter removed.

Mitch
Swapping turbos isn't the deciding factor on whether you need oil restrictors or not. The restrictors are meant to control oil flow into the heads because unmodified RB26 heads are known to allow too much oil flow and you end up getting too much oil accumulation in the head - instead of being able to have the oil where it's needed critical parts can get starved of oil while the excess oil just ends up as useless blow-by. If you want your RB to live a long and happy life - especially if you're revving the tits off it - then you need restrictors regardless of what you do with the turbos. And that's only the tip of the iceberg - there're lots of weaknesses with the RB26's oiling system that should be properly addressed if it's going to see hard use. Google "RB26 oil issues" and be prepared to be reading for a good long while.

And frankly before even thinking about swapping turbos you should make sure you've addressed more important things for your engine's long-term health. Blowing up turbos is the least of your worries if your oil system can't handle it or a timing belt snaps or you overheat the engine.

As for the revving, redline is not equivalent to rev limit. Even from the factory cars normally allow a certain degree of overrun before the rev limiter kicks in so being able to rev it above the redline is generally normal. The R32 just happens to let you rev it up to 9K before the limiter will kick in just like my R35 lets me rev it to 7500 even though the redline is at 7K. That being said you DO NOT want to run an unmodified RB26 up to 9K unless you like picking up grenaded parts.

RainR32
Car: R32 GT-R / 2015 STI Stage 2

MitchF wrote:Hey everyone, I know it has been a while since my last post, I have been doing a lot of reading to try and really understand the fundamentals of the r32, and so far this forum has been a colossal help.

Mitch
Hey I have my Nismo turbos for sale if you need a good setup :dblthumb:

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=617383

rudenate
Car: R32 GT-R

Mitch from Tucson? This is Nate with the other gunmetal car. Lemme know if you want help working on your car at all. I'm a BMW tech and I have plenty of tools.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”