New guy with an old truck

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Rusty320
Car: 1956 Datsun 320

Hello to all my fellow Nissan/Datsun/Infinti lovers! I have finally broken down and joined a social type interweb related forum. I've been holding out for years with no Facebook/MySpace/Twitter or any other form of online social networking and now I've found what I believe to be the one that I will actually enjoy being a part of! I'm 27years old and currently living in southern PA where I've been a mechanic for the past 10years. I recently picked up my 18th vehicle and 8th Nissan/Datsun vehicle and needless to say I'm going to need some help with this old girl. I know for sure it is a 1965 Datsun 320 pickup. I believe it is a L320 model being that it does have a frame and the bed and cab are seperate (please feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken and it's the NL320)

Now onto this poor old girl I just picked up for $500. She has been sitting in some sweet old ladies driveway for the past 6years and I happen to be the fortunate one who found her add and immediately contacted her to go check out this poor old truck in need of some love. Needless to say, I was instantly in love with this little thing and went right to the bank and home for a trailer to start the process of rescuing this awesome little truck. Just got it into the shop today and freed up all the brakes and rotors so I could get her rolling and mission accomplished! Now I seem to be at a loss for needed parts to get her steering and stopping before I decide if I'm going to return the factory engine and transmission back to their glory or make it a scary little monster with a RB/SR swap. (I know, most of you are probably cringing at the thought of me stripping this old girl of all 60hp of her factory engine, lol...which yes, I will likely fix up and keep as original as possible) If anyone could provide me with some helpful information on where to locate some wheel cylinders and rear brake adjusters as well as rebuild/bearing kits for the steering box or an alternative steering box from another Datsun pickup that may make my life easier in the process of making her stop and steer it would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if the post is a little long..again, I'm new to all this forum/social networking ordeal so excuse my rambling I'm just very excited to get this old girl back on the road! I'm also trying to get some pictures up for you guys so you can see what I'm in for. Thanks ahead of time!

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Welcome to NICO!

Just a quick note to let you know I've moved your thread to the 320 Pickup forum. Please post some pictures when you have time.

Rusty320

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Conner
Car: SRL31101633
1964 L320

Hey man, welcome.

That's the one that was on CL Harrisburg, right? I exchanged emails with the lady that owned it too. Sounds like I'm not too far from you; I live in Northern Baltimore County.

Sounds like you are jumping right in, which is great.

A lot of the brake parts from the later trucks cross over to the 320s, so they are still available. I haven't done my brakes yet (need to get the truck running before stopping), but here is a post with the info on all the brake parts I have ordered based on my research and what other people told me they used successfully on their trucks. The Centric drums I list at the bottom of the post are still available on Rockauto and many of these parts should be available there or at similar vendors.

http://www.mydatsun320.com/2012/09/brake-parts/

As you need parts to get the engine running just ask away. A handful of us have spent time finding the parts we need and are willing to share information, and there is no need to re-invent the wheel.

Rusty320

Yeah man, that's the one. I've been tearing into it all this weekend to try to assess what all needs a good going over and making up my "stuff to order" list. Trying to get it steering and stopping first so once the engine fires I can go out and drive it! Appreciate the help and I'll be sure to post up some pictures of my progress getting the little thing running.

Li'l Truckie
Car: 3 x '65 PL 320
1 x '64 PL 320
1 x '63 PL 320
1 x '62 PL 320 - parts :(
1 x '60 PLG-222
and many more Datsuns from 48hp to over 500hp

Rusty320

Welcome Aboard. The little 320 looks great and with a weekend or two of cleaning it will look even better. Post your list of wanted/needed parts and I'm sure several of us will chime in for where to start looking. Most if not all of the mechanical parts you need to start, run, and stop are available so don't spend endless hours looking just ask and spend your time turning a wrench instead of researching parts - been there, done that, and out lots of money in the process....

again, welcome to NiCo's 320 Forum.
Li'l Truckie

Rusty320

Just finished up freeing up all the brakes and every steering component except the front "king pin"? If that's what it's called...the pivot point for the hub/knuckle assembly. So suppose now would be a good time for me to ask where to locate some parts

Needs: front spindle/king pin/knuckle bearings, wheel bearings (front), steering gearbox bearings and seals...that should at least get me steering

Thank you Conner for the brake parts list..I'll be ordering some of that stuff as well this week

Wanys: Badges! unless all of them are going to cost me a fortune...but not worried too much about "perfect" condition as you've seen the truck I just want it driveable for now, I'll deal with looks later....but probably not, lol All I have is a single Datsun 1200 badge so would really like to find some weathered 60hp badges, a second Datsun 1200 and of course what would it be without the hood badge!? Passenger side mirror (if I don't just conjure up a cool pair at a swap meet to go up on the front fenders of course...lastly, a driver door handle. Mine is all there and works but the button broke off and is rusted solid....sigh

Thanks for all the help and direction so far!

Conner
1964 L320

I bought my king pin set on ebay. They pop up there from time to time. I will try to look at the bearings to see if they have any distinguishing markings to identify them.

The front outer wheel bearings are still readily available for the time being. Try part number 30204. Rockauto has National 30204 on closeout right now for $4.99. The inners are a totally different story. The parts books often list #30206, but that part number is WRONG. The original Nissan part number for the front inner bearing is 40211-32200, and they cross over to the 520 and 521 trucks. Unfortunately they are not readily available in the U.S. The 30206 bearing has an ID of 30 mm and an OD of 62 mm. You want a 32KB02 bearing, which I think was only used for these trucks, and has an ID of 32 mm and an OD of 65 mm. The 30206 will not work. There is apparently a source for the 32KB02 in Singapore. I have ordered two sets of them from that guy and they should be arriving this week. I want to wait until I (a) get them and (b) verify they are correct, but if I can do that I will put you in touch if you are interested.

Another option is Mike Klotz, who is a 320 enthusiast, has produced a spacer that enables you to use the inner bearing from a 620 truck (which is available) on your 320 spindle if you remove your stock spacer. I can't vouch for the spacer directly (haven't used it) but Mike is very reputable and has helped me out with plenty of advice. Details are here: http://www.bluehandsinc.com/spacer-for-320520521.html

I have not broken in to my steering box so maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Good luck!

deerio
Car: '63 L320

In addition to what's already been posted, here is another link to a brake parts list that I posted a few months ago from my rebuild:

320-brake-parts-list-t594758.html

It only has the part numbers I used specifically but there are many other manufacturers available. A quick look on Rockauto would show you, but I'd double check as in my experience it's not always accurate.

Rusty320

Thanks for all the help guys! I'll be ordering all of the needed brake parts I need to get stopping this weekend. Also having a set of sealed bearings and sleeves made for the steering shaft/box because the old roller bearing/races are apparently non-existent from my searching so far but still looking. I'll also be sure to take some pictures and let you guys know how well the sealed bearing adventure works out too. And thanks again for all the good information!!! You guys are awesome and really making fixing this old girl up more of a pleasure then a pain! ; )

Some parts I'm in need of...Anyone have any idea where to find a hood badge, 60hp badges and a single Datsun1200? Not looking for anything in NOS condition just useable that aren't going to cost me $160-180 like the 2 sets I found on ebay or is that what I should expect to be paying? A passenger side mirror would be nice and also what are my chances of finding the cover for the trans/floor pan area in the center of the cab? Or should I assume making my own is what I'll be doing?

Gemmer
Car: 1964 Datsun PU 320

Found this hood emblem listed on E-Bay
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... ID=EBAY-US

Rusty320

Got the dash and seat cleaned up and installed today!

Oh yeah, that is in fact a birds head on the dash..found that inside the back of the dash but seems the rest of him was lost to who knows where!? Figured I'd leave him up there as my mascot...or if someone decides to ask if I have a little pecker, then I have one to show them hahaha!

waynosworld

So, you are looking for a set of 60hp badges, a hood badge, and one "datsun1200" badge, so I am assuming you have one of them, I have these parts, but they are not perfect.
I likely have another "datsun1200" badge on a fender in the shed, but I would have to look to be sure.
The mirrors were put on by the dealers as far as I know, I have not seen a small passenger side mirror before.
As for the tunnel cover, that is a one year part, only the 65 had a floor shift, the tunnel was higher that year, they are hard to find around here, it is likely very hard to find where you live, it's not a small part either..
Have you thought about front disc brakes, Mike has a kit that uses the 1986 Nissan 720 disc brake rotors/calipers, these parts are readily available.
Here is a photo of what I have, not sure how you contact me here, I guess you just reply to this post if your interested.
Is there a way to PM people here on this forum?
Rusty320 wrote:Thanks for all the help guys! I'll be ordering all of the needed brake parts I need to get stopping this weekend. Also having a set of sealed bearings and sleeves made for the steering shaft/box because the old roller bearing/races are apparently non-existent from my searching so far but still looking. I'll also be sure to take some pictures and let you guys know how well the sealed bearing adventure works out too. And thanks again for all the good information!!! You guys are awesome and really making fixing this old girl up more of a pleasure then a pain! ; )

Some parts I'm in need of...Anyone have any idea where to find a hood badge, 60hp badges and a single Datsun1200? Not looking for anything in NOS condition just useable that aren't going to cost me $160-180 like the 2 sets I found on ebay or is that what I should expect to be paying? A passenger side mirror would be nice and also what are my chances of finding the cover for the trans/floor pan area in the center of the cab? Or should I assume making my own is what I'll be doing?

Conner
1964 L320

Hey Wayno. There is a PM function here but you need to have x number of posts before it is allowed. Not sure the value of x, but it isn't too crazy.

Rusty320

Hey Wayno. Those look seasoned to perfection, lol. I did have one person on ratsun contact me also about having the 60hp badges and a 1200 badge but no hood badge. I'm waiting on him to shoot me a price for parts+shipping but being that this is going to be a "budget" build then I'd be open to any set of badges at a reasonable price. How much would you want for the badges+shipping to 17545 or if nothing else just the hood badge shipped? Thanks for the help! She needs to be advertising that she's got a staggering horsepower number like 60 if not she'd be a real sleeper! Haha!

difrangia
Car: 1978 Datsun 620 'Longbed', 1964 NL320, 1961 FIAT 500D, 1964 Type 113 Beetle, 79 Ford Festiva

Here are a couple of photos of the two floor pans side by side. You need the one that is about two inches taller and with the hole for the floor shift (the white one). They both have a hole with rubber plug to check the lube level. It's on opposite sides for the floor and column shift tranys. I'd recommend running a classified ad on here and on Ratsun. As has been said already, the floor shift trany was used for a year or less in the 320 pickup. It was also used in the first six months or so of production of the 520 pickup that replaced the 320 in the Spring of 1965. The 520 didn't have this floor pan insert though. The floor shift stuff and the windshields are real tuffys to track down for the 320's. steve

waynosworld

The badges are not perfect, there is something wrong with each of them, I also have another "datsun1200" badge if you need it, you need two of them, one for each front fender.
I guess since I cannot PM you I will just say what I want, for two "datsun1200" badges, two "60hp" badges, and the one "datsun" hood badge I would like $80.00 shipped in a flat rate box or what ever way I can find that is reasonable.
As I said, none of them are perfect, they are what they are, here are closer photos.
The yellow paint on it is the stock color from the factory.
One badge needs cleaned up a little.

Rusty320 wrote:Hey Wayno. Those look seasoned to perfection, lol. I did have one person on ratsun contact me also about having the 60hp badges and a 1200 badge but no hood badge. I'm waiting on him to shoot me a price for parts+shipping but being that this is going to be a "budget" build then I'd be open to any set of badges at a reasonable price. How much would you want for the badges+shipping to 17545 or if nothing else just the hood badge shipped? Thanks for the help! She needs to be advertising that she's got a staggering horsepower number like 60 if not she'd be a real sleeper! Haha!

Rusty320

Wayno...first out not sure how the PM thing works so sorry about that. I only need one of the 1200 badges as I do have one of them already. I'll either have to setup a paypal or just mail you a money order or cashiers check and you can ship them out to me when you receive it. You can also call,me at 7175864533 or shoot me an email [email protected]

Rusty320

Just got my brake master cylinder and one of the two sealed bearings I ordered to try out on the steering box so here's hoping the other shows up tomorrow so I can get her steering and stopping this weekend so I can dig into the wiring/engine.

Thanks for the info and pics on the trans cover! Wouldn't have assumed they'd be so much different just because of the floor shifter but glad to know. I assume I'll be welding and bending up something on my own to cover that up.

Here's a pic of the start to my sanding off the black spray paint and trying to revive the nice dark green paint and flame job underneath. Will post up pics and part numbers for my attempt at converting the steering box to sealed bearings since the factory ones do not exist...that is if the other bearing shows up by the weekend.

Li'l Truckie
1 x '64 PL 320
1 x '63 PL 320
1 x '60 PLG-222

Rusty320
sanding off the black spray paint and trying to revive the nice dark green paint and flame job underneath
I'm actually starting to dig the faded flames, but might change the grill color to gunmetal or something.

For what it's worth this 320 seems to be, at least to me, a mid '65 model. Here's why -
Enclosed turn signal grill
6 x Phillips head screw valve cover
4 speed floor shift
Steering column cover is from the column shift as I see the indent
I think you are missing the tray under the dash on the passenger side, but this 320 should have had one when it rolled off the assembly line.
I would guess this has an A-frame spare tire rack, or at least the two mounts for one.

Why it may not be a late production '65 -
No crinkle coat dash - unless someone sanded it all off.
Check the spare tire area for a chain and bracket from the later 520 model.

Thanks for all of the pics!
Andy

Rusty320

Yeah man, I'll be posting some pics today of my adventure into converting the steering box to sealed bearings because the factory ones are nonexistent apparently. Also on the '65 production era...I'd assume it was a mid to later model 65 because it has the chain spare tire carrier not the swing style like most of the other 65 model year trucks. It's also rusted to the frame/bed tight enough that I can only assume is factory. My buddy is a bodywork kind of guy and he told me if I continue to wet sand everything down with 400grit that he will be able to clear it and make the dark green and flames shine like new! So heres hoping!

Rusty320

On a side not..I'm thinking the grill and headlight covers are either going to go gunmetal grey or throwing around the idea of flat black and my own pinstripe job or even a red/orange color to further compliment the flames...but who know!? At this point I just want to get the old girl steering/stopping and running then I'll worry about her looks, which in my opinion are going to make the perfect daily rat rod Datsun!

waynosworld

I always thought the 320 grill looked good with the grill having a chrome ring around the outside with black in the middle like what Mike had on my NL320 when he owned it.
I tried finding someone to black chrome the middle part, but it was not to be, so it ended up solid chrome like when it was stock, to much chrome if you ask me, but I can live with it.
Just throwing out ideas, maybe there is some chrome under that white paint.

Li'l Truckie
1 x '64 PL 320
1 x '63 PL 320
1 x '60 PLG-222

I'd assume it was a mid to later model 65 because it has the chain spare tire carrier not the swing style like most of the other 65 model year trucks
Definitely a late '65 then. From this I would guess someone sanded down the dash. Thanks for that bit of information.

AZhitman mentioned in a previous post that all grills for the 320 are either chrome or stainless steel so there should be something under there. My grill like this is chrome.

I'll check with the plating shop here in Leavenworth on the black chrome. That's sound like a pretty tempting idea!

Andy

Rusty320

Got my new master cylinder and steering box bearings fashioned up this weekend (posted pics and more info on the bearings in the "need steering box bearing help!" post) So now the old girl is steering and stopping!!! Along with some snazzy new copper brake lines and brass fittings! Next weekend will be figuring out the wiring and getting the old gal to fire up!

ImageImageImage

Rusty320

Completely stoked to find this lovely old piece in a box I found in the truck which appeared to just have old papers and straw in it...thank god I was careful with it and got this thing out of there to find it is 110% solid/crack free... just need to find an element for it. Any help with a part# on a filter element would be great! Thanks for all the input and help guys, I'll keep the info/pics going as I get work done. No dust collecting for this old girl anymore!!!

Rusty320

Found the perfect sticker for my rat rod 320 build!!!

Sorry for splitting this up in 3posts but posting images from my phone is a royal pain to organize (p.o.s. computer took a crap on me...again, yay!) And well...Truckie and Wayno I happily inform you that all that ugly white and yellow paint seemed to just preserve the wonderful shiny factory coating underneath! Got the headlight trim shined up too! Totally going to leave the chrome like it is now...absolutely love how it looks with the faded out sanded down flame job!!!

ImageImageImage

waynosworld

You can actually polish that stainless steel and make it look like chrome, at least it looks like stainless steel to me in the photos.

waynosworld

It does look a lot better than when you started, just get it road worthy right now, and wait to make it pretty after most everything else is good.

Conner
1964 L320

The truck looks much better with the white paint stripped off the bright work.

I've got a Nissan paper fuel filter for you if you want it. It would probably be a couple of bucks to ship it or you can come get it. I live 35 minutes south of York in Baltimore County.

Return to “Datsun 320”