new guy with a 73 620

1972-1979 Datsun 620 forums. All 620-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
odpl_moparvwfreak

hey guys. i stumbled across this site totally by accident while looking for parts but i figured hey why not?! i recently purchased a 1973 Datsin 620 for $500. the little L16 runs like a champ and it actually drives really smooth. i am planning on restifying it eventually but for now its gonna make a great little parts hauler in place of my gas guzzleing V10 Ram. so without further hesitation heres the pics!

here it is the night i picked it up.

a couple days later after doing some work to it. i had the #1 spark plug cocked funny so i pulled that and fixed it, checked the oil pressure sender because the light didn't work, and figured out the choke doesn't work at all. thank god i got a spare carb with the truck.

and how she sits today i dropped the front about 2 inches or so and removed the rear bumper. i also fixed some bad bulbs in the tail lights so now they all work except the reverse lights and plate light.

does anyone know where these wires go??? also how bout the 2 sensors that are shown there? anyone know where to get them?

thanks for looking and i will be updateing as work gets done.

phlebmaster
Car: 1973 240z L26 4spd rip roar and ready to go!

LOL!!

I have those same wires hanging out for no apparent reason.

You can sort of see the wires.By the way...nice truck!!

IMH

I'm not sure if you saw my post in the 'pertronix ignition' thread but, again, ease up a little.  Look at the size of the other posters pictures and then look at yours.  Try to keep you picture no larger than 800x600 or you'll stretch the page like you did here and in the other thread with that needless cut and paste job.  Like I said in my other post, it seems like you're just attempting to build up your post count and/or impress people and this is another three week old, non replied thread, until you revived it.  Again, ease up!  Ventilation ducting for an air cleaner?

I like flowers, butterflies, and marshmellow peeps....the pink ones. :P

phlebmaster

[user=35]IMH[/user] wrote: Quote »I'm not sure if you saw my post in the 'pertronix ignition' thread but, again, ease up a little.  Look at the size of the other posters pictures and then look at yours.  Try to keep you picture no larger than 800x600 or you'll stretch the page like you did here and in the other thread with that needless cut and paste job.  Like I said in my other post, it seems like you're just attempting to build up your post count and/or impress people and this is another three week old, non replied thread, until you revived it.  Again, ease up!  Ventilation ducting for an air cleaner?[/quote]Ok bro....not trying to impress anyone, sorry. I've been around...so I'm not new.

Not sure what the point is of building up a post count, you do not get a prize for making a ton of posts. I have noticed a ton of dead posts. Why not try to liven it up?

Why is it that no one ever responded to this guy who was asking for help? I appreciate your advice, and I am not out to get under anyone's skin.....just wanted to get around and reply to posts so I could get to know you guys. How else will we get to know eachother?

I wasn't sure how to make the pic smaller....found out now and will make them smaller from now on.

And why not a ventilation duct for a cold air intake?? It worked just fine....looked retarded. See you around.

ThanksAaron;)

odpl_moparvwfreak

i know. another dead post revived..... but its my post and i'll do with it as i please :P

i have done some more work on it but not recently. i am on the hunt for a radiator that works. i bought the proper on and was told by Performance Radiator that it was bad. thats fine because i got the fan shroud as well so thats one more thing i didn't have. i have also replaced the dash with one that is less cracked. and has an ashtray. dont smoke but i use it for spare change, spare bolts adn whatnot. i have laso installed a stereo in it so i ahve tunes! i also replaced the heater fan and got it working properly. now everything works inside except the dome light. it worked for me ONCE before it quit. no clue why.

things i have replaced are the oil pressure sensor, temp sensor, seats, front bumper, headlight buckets, kinda straightened the core support, repaired the plate light, changed the passenger rear tail light assembly, and pulled the rubber floor mat. the rust is bad on the floor boards but i think i can fix it eventually.

i will hopefully be getting this thing road worthy again soon. i miss driving it and my rabbit pickup is giving me issues. so i would love to get this thing going. i have recently traded my ram so i no longer have a decent hauler. my rabbit is missing half the bed adn tailgate so hauling with that is out of the question. so yeah. heres some pics to tide ya over so you can see whats been done.  oh and my kid did the rising sun gas door. hes also doing the air cleaner lid  to match.

odpl_moparvwfreak

yesterday i found out that i am in desperate need of a carrier bearing and isolator. i will also do the output shaft seal and u-joints while the driveline is out. but finding parts is another story all together. that carrier bearing is NOT cheap and i really need the truck soon.

the radiator i had taken into performance radiator seems to be holding up well. they told me it was bad. seems to be holding pressure jsut fine with a small patch on the top tank of JB Weld. keeps cool and holds pressure so i am not to mad. wont go there for rads anymore though. i dont approve of people lying to me to get a sale. i ahve been driving this truck for the last week or so and the only major problem is the carrier bearing. oh and the craptastic drum brakes. btu thats another matter altogether. the first day i drove it, last saturday, i made about a 100 mile round trip and no major issues. never over heated, lost coolant, or lost oil. so i am happy. i have also adjusted the valves so it doesn't sound like a sewing machine any more.

mklotz70

When I replaced the rear output seal on the column shift trans in the NL....I checked every datsun/nissan trans I had here....8 or 9....and every single one had the same seal.  That included the Z24 5spd, a dogleg, couple of stock trans.  The parts store should list your rig anyway.

As for the carrier bearing....sometimes you gotta pay to play :(

phlebmaster

Keep us posted...oh and do as you wish with your thread. lol

Lookin good. :cool:

odpl_moparvwfreak

thanks guys. pretty much everywhere i looked the bearing with isolator is about $100. so thats what i have to save up for or sling more dub parts :D eithere way i would like to get htis back on the road. SOON. i'll figure it out soon enough. at least it runs now though and doesn't over heat.

odpl_moparvwfreak

today was spent D&R my cooling system, and starting to go through the brakes. god i HATE LES SCHWAB!!!!!!! those idiots, not my doing but 2 owners ago, screwed up doing the brakes.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=5790

if you read that you'll undeerstand why. now i need MORE parts to get my truck on the road. this sucks ***! i need it going NOW but i have to wait MORE! i guess i am just screwed for now. this sucks. so for now i dont have any brakes on the pass side rear. BUT to keep the wheel cylender from coming apart i ziptied it together. :D sorry bout venting on this but it was needed.

odpl_moparvwfreak

driveline is fixed, brakes are fixed and working good. i drove it a good 80 miles or so adn it ran like a top. the only problem i had was on a hill, starting out in 1st, it would bog. other than that i ran great!

phlebmaster

Nice! Get that last little thing and she is up and running! :cool: Check your carb for that bog thing.

odpl_moparvwfreak

already working on that. gotta adjust the exhaust valves. i made em a touch to tight. gonna check the timing again and adjust the carb.

odpl_moparvwfreak

well i adjusted the timing tp 10* and it pinged like mad. dropped it back to 8* and it stopped pinging. so hopefully that will be the end of that.still need to adjust the carb but i think i would rather put in a weber so i can be done with it and not worry about the carb anymore.

mklotz70

I hate to say it, but you'll still have off idle grief from the weber.  I've only ever talked to one guy that got rid of it totally and he had a ton of work into his cam and head.

I'm not saying don't do it....I've got webers on a couple of my datsuns.  I'm just saying don't expect miracles.  A stock carb in good condition will run awesome.

When you set the timing....make sure there's no vac signal going to the vac adv on the dizzy.  You also want to make sure the idle is not higher than it should be so that it doesn't kick in the mech adv.  You might even check the inside of the dizzy to make sure the adv plate moves okay and is not stuck.  I bring this up since you said that it was pinging with only 10deg of adv.   I'm assuming that the pinging was under load while driving it??  Which would have the vac and or mech adv kicked in and be giving the eng closer to 30deg total adv.  Kinda surprised that 2 deg made the difference.

Glad to hear you got the brakes working. 

Return to “Datsun 620”