New Guy - Radio Swap Question

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
Stumpkin
Car: 2008 Versa S

"Alert" I just picked up a new Versa S today "Alert"a birthday present for my college kids 21st. B-day.

No I'm not just buying her a car. She is out side of the 1-800-Daddy range and her old one is costing more in time & $ than the payment on a new one. Pain to pleasure ratio. She will have the option of buying it from us when she is done with school. A win-Win if I made a good choice. The safety & size sold us. 6 bags full & ABS. NOW FOR THE QUESTION??

Do you know if I can simply swap a Versa S System (single CD non-burned no Aux, four Speakers) With a Versa SL Syestem (6 CDs, Plays burned CDs with AUX six speakers)?

NEXT QUESTION?

When you folks replace with a non-stock where in the heck do list to sell the removed SL unit??? I'd sure buy one for a fair price if it is a simple plug-n-play swap!!

ThanksNew Guy[IMG][/IMG]a.k.a. wraped around daughters little finger

feloniousmonk

Lucky kid. I biked and bused until I could afford to buy car on my own at 24. She better appreciate it.

Quote »NOW FOR THE QUESTION??

Do you know if I can simply swap a Versa S System (single CD non-burned no Aux, four Speakers) With a Versa SL Syestem (6 CDs, Plays burned CDs with AUX six speakers)?[/quote]Not sure if this can be done, I think it has, but I'll let those who know answer this. Personally, if you're willing to spend the $250 the SL units are going for on eBay, you're probably better off with an after market radio — which will most likely sound better and have more features for the same cost. Sony's BT-5000 model, for example, even has bluetooth built-in for hands-free calling.

Quote »NEXT QUESTION?

When you folks replace with a non-stock where in the heck do list to sell the removed SL unit??? I'd sure buy one for a fair price if it is a simple plug-n-play swap!! [/quote]I would think the market for stock S units is extremely small. eBay is probably the place. Don't be surprised if it doesn't sell. Best to keep it to return the car back to stock when you do sell it outside of the family. Just my opinion.

keanucosmo

feloniousmonk wrote:Not sure if this can be done, I think it has, but I'll let those who know answer this. Personally, if you're willing to spend the $250 the SL units are going for on eBay, you're probably better off with an after market radio — which will most likely sound better and have more features for the same cost. Sony's BT-5000 model, for example, even has bluetooth built-in for hands-free calling.
I agree.

Yes it can be done. Much better/cheaper options in the aftermarket. I bought a Clarion unit with Bluetooth, Aux In, SD slot, and without AM radio or CD for < $150. Why bother to burn a CD when you can just plug in a memory card or stream over Bluetooth.

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

The SL head unit can simply be plugged in place of the S. Direct swap.

The last two posters have given you reasons to go aftermarket, which are good reasons.

I'll give you a reason to stick with an S or SL stereo: security.

Your daughter is going to be on a college campus. I can't speak for your campus, but the half a dozen or so colleges around here have problems with car prowls. An aftermarket system would make the car a target, whereas a factory-fitting stereo (S or SL) is useless to a thief, and they will not break in (unless your daughter leaves other things in there.. purse, ipod, etc.)

And I can tell you from experience that buying a replacement side window is a LOT more expensive than $250.

feloniousmonk

Theft and vandalism would be an issue if you install one of those double DIN units that do not offer a removable face. Otherwise, all common sense rules apply: don't leave the faceplate in the car, don't leave anything in the car, period. It's something she should be doing anyway regardless of the audio system. I've seen cars get broken into just for a sweatshirt.

Stumpkin
Car: 2008 Versa S

I just took out the "S" Unit & Put in an "SL" Unit. Was a quick & simple plug-n-play. All seems to work well - a little time will tell with that last statment.

Versa Madness
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S HB 6 spd

Where did you have luck finding the SL unit? Anyone else with an SL head unit that they may be interested in selling??

feloniousmonk

Versa Madness wrote:Where did you have luck finding the SL unit? Anyone else with an SL head unit that they may be interested in selling??
As mentioned before... there are always a few on ebay.

Shad0wXCalibur
Car: Nissan Versa SL Sedan

I think the SL decks on ebay sell for a ridiculous price. For what they're selling, I paid just as much for a double din Pioneer that has much more function. I sold my SL deck for $200 on ebay and someone bought it maybe 3 hours later... In reality, it barely costed me anything to upgrade to something much better in my opinion.

Versa Madness
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S HB 6 spd

feloniousmonk wrote:
As mentioned before... there are always a few on ebay.
Yeah, I search eBay all the time, but I am not interested in paying $275+ for an SL head unit. I was thinking that perhaps someone here has done a stereo upgrade on their SL and may want to get rid of their stock unit that is collecting dust.

heathkit
Car: 07 Versa, 68 Vette, 29 Ford PU, 60 Desoto

I just submitted an article to the site on installing a Clarion DUZ385SAT radio into the VERSA. Smooth straighforward install - took an evening. The base radio is also made by Clarion and at first glance you would think that the replacement is stock - but it has XM Satellite, MP3 on CD and also on flash memory thumbdrives. Optional Bluetooth. I paid $200 @ crutchfield with XM tuner, XM antenna, antenna and connector adapters and shipping. You can find the radio alone for $150 on the Web. -heathkit

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”