New guy is going racing any sugesstions ?

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
J30tChumpCar
Car: 1995 J30t Totaled @ Charlotte motor speedway
1994 J30 gutted caged road racer Now with VH45DE!
1966 Chevy Corvair V8 mid-ship conversion

Hello, I have a 95 J30t. I am not sure about the t, it seems to be a $2000 option, what is that about?

Long story short is we are going to make this a team car for low cost endurance racing.

I dont know how well this sits with you all but I am going to need some advice on what I can do to make this great car more reliable, stop and handle better.

The rules are pretty strict, no buying a bunch of expensive stuff so I must make due without the use of coilovers and such, but modifying whatever I have or can shop for cheaply is allowed and encouraged.

The interior is out (and stored for later sale) The 6 point cage is in, I have a couple of months to work things up to speed.

Now what?

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

The 1995 "t" models simply had stiffer suspensions. The 1993 and 1994 "t" models came equipped with 4 wheel HICAS steering which caused the car to corner as if it was on rails and significantly reduced body lean.

There aren't really any aftermarket direct bolt on suspension modifications. Some folks on this board have experiemented with suspension parts from other Nissan vehicles along with custom fabrication.

For stopping there are Brembos for his car.

The only speed modifications available for his car that are directly bolt on are from Jim Wolf Technologies, this includes a modified ECU and pop charger, both are only good for modest horsepower gains.

If you want real speed, some members ahve twin turboed the car and installed a 5 speed, however this requires time, custom fabrication and much $$$

yodawill2000
Car: 94 Infiniti J30

Your planning on taking this car on off road endurance rally type racing ??
Modified by yodawill2000 at 7:20 AM 1/24/2010

J30tChumpCar

Thanks for answering so quickly!

The first race will be a twin 7 hour non stop event , 2 days 14 hrs totalSecond race will be 12 hrs non stopThird race (at the end of the year) will be a full 24 hr

Too bad I did not wind up with a 94t

We are currently designing brake cooling ducts . I need to get racing brake fluid and need premium pads. You mention brembo,what else is available?

We were looking to lower the car as it now sits taller with less weight, how much can/should the springs be cut without causing other trouble?

Will earlier rear struts fit? I need one and can only find a 93 at the local pick and pull. or even better what other nissans share similar stuff?

A transmission cooler is in the plans, any ideas in that department?

I may have someone volunteering to reflash the PCM, what is a pop charger?

I am going to need some instruction on how to search effectively here so I dont drive everyone nuts, too many issues to tackle all at once.

Look up 24 hours of lemons and Chump car.

jdurrty
Car: j30

I dont know how much searching through this site you have done, but check this one out, it might help.

zer...alled

J30tChumpCar

Thanks I was already reading that topic .

Even though I own a general repair shop I am just a Nissan newbie and do not know what tt or b13 platforms are or what other cars at the junk yard I should be poking at..

Anyone feel kind enough to give me some basics to work up from?

J30tChumpCar

Here is where we are at currently. I have 2 months before its first race and about a month before its first practice track day.

Next task, replace rear struts, cut all the springs, then a new timing belt/hoses.

How much spring have some of you guys cut off? how much is too much?

Short U tube link to my car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...edded

Anything you see missing is stored and for sale cheap, just ask.

Modified by J30tChumpCar at 6:03 PM 2/5/2010
Modified by J30tChumpCar at 6:08 PM 2/5/2010

yodawill2000

Lookin' good !!Wouldn't a race seat (Drivers side) be a boatload lighter then the OEM seat ?

J30tChumpCar

We will be selling the OEM seats, the drivers seat will be removed next week in favor of a aluminum circle track seat. The plastic passenger seat will be temporarily installed for a driving instructor during our track practice time next month.

Anyone need working worn but un-torn gray leather seats or stuff?

J30tChumpCar

Well its a month and a half later and we have a viable track car, we flogged it for almost 3 hours without a glitch, ran a entire tank of gas out.

2+ mile long 14 point turn road course with a top speed around 100mph 2 times a lap.

One concern I had was it seemed slower after cutting the stock exhaust off and replacing it with 2.25 duals with flow masters. We are almost ready to reinstall the stock front mufflers minus the cats.. Any advice would help.

The seats are now removed and a aluminum racing seat and belts will be next as will be some hawk front brake pads.

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnz56LV0Rbg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-E6-tnfIBw

GerryO
Car: 1993 J30t
Pearl White
Black Interior

J30tChumpCar wrote:One concern I had was it seemed slower after cutting the stock exhaust off and replacing it with 2.25 duals with flow masters. We are almost ready to reinstall the stock front mufflers minus the cats.. Any advice would help.

The seats are now removed and a aluminum racing seat and belts will be next as will be some hawk front brake pads.

Thanks
Just a guess; how do the spark plugs look? Are there any signs that the engine is running leaner/hotter? Maybe time for some bigger injectors, a new fuel rail and higher capacity fuel pump? Done anything in the pan to improve oil pick-up?

Stay safe out there, protecting both yourself and your wallet.

J30tChumpCar

Except for the cold air intake and exhaust the car is stock.

The rules prohibit buying fancy stuff like fuel rails,injectors and such but they encourage innovation. Any cheap power ideas appreciated! I dont mind spending time but whatever we do HAS to be dead reliable as the shortest run this car will have is 7 hrs non stop.

The engine was running cool and smooth with no oiling problems, I will pull a spark plug and check but I really expect it to be normal.

As for safety we are required to wear a snell 2000 or better helmet, neck brace, 2 layer fire suit, shoes, gloves.
Modified by J30tChumpCar at 9:09 PM 3/24/2010

J30tChumpCar

I dug up this thread to continue the conversation on our racing of your favorite car

Copy of my last post + some
Over the last year and a half we have successfully campaigned/raced a J30 on nationally known road race courses and in answer to yoda in how things have been going I answer that things HAD been grand! 4 months ago, at the end of a race, we were in a dominant lead at Charlotte motor speedway (yes a J30 winning a race on a NASCAR track!) when lapped traffic pulled the ultimate oppsie and punted me into the concrete wall completely destroying the car, there was fire, ambulance and time in bed.

3 months ago we started to build another junkyard bound J, we recycled everything possible re-using the engine, trans, 300zx brake package and some body panels. Yesterday we ran a hooked on driving event logging 100 race miles to shake down the new car for its debut in 2 weeks @ Sebring
While there is plenty to do (namely rear ride height and body roll) our lap times were consistent with our last outing.
Click to enlarge. Who can see something "wrong" with the new body lines? Answer here and ask away if theres any new interest in our builds or endevors.

yodawill2000

Glad you came through the wreck Ok bud.
Way to represent !!!
Kudo's.

J30tChumpCar

A far cry from the first post, a almost fully developed J30 race car bottom on vid, the only things left are a 5 speed and possibly a 300zx rear sub frame(in a year or so)
Remember this is cheapo racing but are seeing real race speeds and conditions +125mph

Search my other vids to see the results of the crash and fire of the original J

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFAhwRSPOWI

J30tChumpCar

Re-posted here rather then continue to hijack the other thread.

Post race report, Sebring international raceway 9/25/11.

The roofless z32 was dominate all day, they were lightweight with huge brakes/tires. We were extremely happy running a very strong 2nd place against all the talent but 9 hours in (7pm) 5 laps after a uneventful fuel/driver stop we developed smoke inside the car and a strong gear lube odor so I pitted figuring a seal had blown only to find the rearend was literally boiling the synthetic fluid into a black watery steaming mess. :wtf2: As soon as I saw this I knew we were out of the race but being stubborn I ordered a fluid change right there on pit road as there was no noises or other symptoms and we forgot the spare diff.. Nothing to loose.

20 min later oddly the new fluid fixed things and full racing resumed ,now barely in the top 10, a violent rainstorm with wind and lightning, caused a full course red for 1.5 hours where all cars were parked and "impounded" (no work allowed) which was bad because on the last lap of rain my wiper quit. After lifting impound another 5 min of poking fuses turned up nothing so a hot wire was quickly cobbled and I was off to finish the race where a epic drag race (fun not for position) developed on the closing minutes between me, the winning z32 and a hot rod 5.0 mustang what a finish!

We finished 900 miles/14 hours of Sebring against SCCA,GT,NASA,Nascar,instructors,engineers, people slumming from million $ race teams(one brought a $500,000 race hauler!) and lots of regular folk from every walk of life in a J taking 6th position :mike

Here is what the winner had to say:
"Infinity, I was in the 300zx at the finish and man that was a blast with the 3 of us fighting through traffic!! You guys could pull me on the straights, and I could catch right back up to you under braking and cornering. I had no idea what time it was, or how many laps we had to go so I kept after it until I saw the checkers. "

That dogfight to ultimately find out the J was quicker even continued on the cool down lap, yup that fun!
He had no roof, I was aware of the time via the sweet clock we all have... ;)

Here is a quick link to someone elses photos as all we have is raw in car vid that will take a while to get posted.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aimanflames/

J30tChumpCar

Reposted.

aroche25 wrote:
Yes it was a very exciting race to watch, I was honestly surprised that the Z didn't get infraction or anything(How many can you find in running shape for $500 or less?). Ohh and that big rig semi-truck was a Nascar Truck Series driver(he was next to the team I was with) He had the "Wonderbird" Thunderbird. Still great job! even though the weather wasnt very permitting for the early evening.

I enjoyed passing that car, those guys really get it, not trying to overpower the competition with their talent or budget, just out to have fun.

What car were you in?

aroche25
Car: 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Looking for a Z32 Slicktop

I was with the silver and black #10 Miata out of a local shop here in Sarasota A.R.T.. We finished well but within the first 20 laps the front 2 shocks completely gave in, which kinda killed the start. But we brought it in and fixed it best we could after a few horrible hours. Still there was a Z31 near us and they put a completely new engine in the car after drilling out the diff. So I guess we weren't the worst off. But I think its fair to say if you finish the race your in the top 30 :chuckle: . It was amazing to see the 90+ other cars out there.

Do you travel with the Chump series?

J30tChumpCar

Yea a top 30 would make most guys happy, attrition was high due to the race track I suppose, having a z32 and a j in the top 10 is testament to how tough these cars really are.

I could only wish we had the funds to travel with the series, we seem to be limited to 4 races a year within 12 hours of south Florida. Charlotte NC was our farthest trip so far out of the 5 races we have done.

Note to all J owners,especially anyone thinking we are trashing a great car, of the 5 races the average car count has been 55 entries of all kinds including 5 and 3 series BMWs, miatas,mustangs ,cameros, Mercedes,porche, nissan and vw's of all sort.
So far we have represented by finishing inside the top 10 every time, even with one crash that took us out with 2 hours remaining.

Was that the blacksheep guys with the z31 motor swap?

J30tChumpCar

Found the official photographers site, type in car 19 to see us, 10 to see aroche25, 123 to see the z32 winner or browse 3800+ event pics

http://www.awolphoto.com/Club-Races/201 ... 28_5FHPrQ9

aroche25

J30tChumpCar wrote:Yea a top 30 would make most guys happy, attrition was high due to the race track I suppose, having a z32 and a j in the top 10 is testament to how tough these cars really are.

I could only wish we had the funds to travel with the series, we seem to be limited to 4 races a year within 12 hours of south Florida. Charlotte NC was our farthest trip so far out of the 5 races we have done.

Note to all J owners,especially anyone thinking we are trashing a great car, of the 5 races the average car count has been 55 entries of all kinds including 5 and 3 series BMWs, miatas,mustangs ,cameros, Mercedes,porche, nissan and vw's of all sort.
So far we have represented by finishing inside the top 10 every time, even with one crash that took us out with 2 hours remaining.

Was that the blacksheep guys with the z31 motor swap?

There was even BMW 540i, a true 500 dollar car!haha

aroche25

J30tChumpCar wrote:Found the official photographers site, type in car 19 to see us, 10 to see aroche25, 123 to see the z32 winner or browse 3800+ event pics

http://www.awolphoto.com/Club-Races/201 ... 28_5FHPrQ9

Some very good shots here, just waiting for the official results

J30tChumpCar

Anyone see anything on page 2 or 3 ? My tags from 2009 off my chevy were more appropriate on the j.

J30tChumpCar

First race of the season was at a brand new/still under construction $33million millionaires dream track gone public,http://www.nolamotor.com/ Our series booked the very first real race there, a 12 hour event, after 800 miles of flogging, the J pulled its first win with second place being a Z31 300zx and third being a BMW 325.

The track is fast,there is a notable feature on the back of the 1.8 mile course, a series of 5 esses where you get to steer and 4 wheel drift @ 100mph.. nothing like it, I really wish I could post a link to some video but our in car camera packed up while reviewing tape and I just haven't gotten it sorted yet, there has to be something on you tube by now, try looking for NOLA and Chump Car.

J30tChumpCar

Another race completed, a 24 hour event in Palm beach Fl, long story short the original transmission with 150,000miles + 8000 full race miles wore 3rd gear out @ 2am.. We did a 2.5 hour swap out and were back on track for a 16th place finish!
The engine was also showing its age so for its first time the oil pan was removed to replace rod bearings.

Next up
14 hours on the high banks of Daytona + Rolex road course, this will happen this Sunday the 27th. Live scoring and possibly a video feed.

Scoring, scroll down the little inner window till you find eastern region.
http://www.chumpcar.com/dev/cms/index.php?id=10
Video
http://www.crapcanlive.com/?p=1921

J30tChumpCar

I will get back later but out of 129 entries we placed 12th!
Dicing heavy traffic and a minor contact incident.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kak2xaCO9-s

yodawill2000

Well done !!! How did those rod bearings look when you pulled them ?

J30tChumpCar

Over the last 6 races it had a slowly worsening light rap upon free rev I had assumed was main bearing wear but after PBIR (Moroso) ,still running smooth as glass, the oil came out silver sparkle for the first time. A sample was analyzed to confirm the sparkle was lead/babbit from a failing bearing. I pulled the crankshaft main cap to find nothing unusual but #1 rod bearing was relaxed to the point it would not hold in the rod and wiped to copper, both the crankshaft and rod were perfect, the rest were worn out but nothing like #1 so new rod bearings were purchased (Rock auto clearance @ $5.00 for the set!)

Event photos (car #1)
http://www.awolphoto.smugmug.com/keywor ... &k=WndFKMp

Watching from the fence, I go by in a pack @ 30 sec but it happens so fast you have to pause.

http://youtu.be/pYaXnqrcpD0

J30tChumpCar

Another race under the belt, 14 hours @ Sebring , our 4th time there, our 4th time scoring 6th place (70 cars started)
Next month we will be at Atlanta Motor Speedway for the series Championship.

Sebring photos here, we are #19 http://www.awolphoto.smugmug.com/keywor ... &k=7PHmcv2

jester4666
Car: 1994 Infiniti J30t

only will let you buy them, not view them.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”