new guy, i have a question for you guys

1972-1979 Datsun 620 forums. All 620-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
herculesinwyoming

hello new guy here my name is mike, i am hopeing to get some advice from you all.

My son has been offered a free 1979 datsun 620 truck, it has been parked for about 5 years because of a bad clutch, so i am told any way.

so far all i have done is a drive by to get a peek.it is a long bed 2wd and looks pretty rust free. the worst part on it looks to be the front valance panel under the bumper is kind of dented up.

i dont know what tranny it has or how many miles are on it.

So question is what is the truck worth, what problem areas should i look for, and how feaseable would it be to put an newer engine and tranny in it. The truck is in wyoming,

Thanks for any ideas, and advice, i sure would love to save a cool looking old mini truck

phlebmaster
Car: 1973 240z L26 4spd rip roar and ready to go!

herculesinwyoming wrote:hello new guy here my name is mike, i am hopeing to get some advice from you all.

My son has been offered a free 1979 datsun 620 truck, it has been parked for about 5 years because of a bad clutch, so i am told any way.

so far all i have done is a drive by to get a peek.it is a long bed 2wd and looks pretty rust free. the worst part on it looks to be the front valance panel under the bumper is kind of dented up.

i dont know what tranny it has or how many miles are on it.

So question is what is the truck worth, what problem areas should i look for, and how feaseable would it be to put an newer engine and tranny in it. The truck is in wyoming,

Thanks for any ideas, and advice, i sure would love to save a cool looking old mini truck
Welcome to the forum!!

If it is a 79...then you have a L20b motor, most likely a 5spd tranny. The clutch is no problem to change the clutch. I did mine in about 4 hours.

How much work does the truck need?? Take some pics of her when you have time and post them up.

Sounds like it would be a good truck.

herculesinwyoming

thanks for thewelcome and the reply, i will photo it tomorow, it looks real decent, but it has been parked for a very long time, so i know it will need alot of attention before i even try to start it.

what do the trucks have for rear ends, are they open diff or do some have a posi track type option, we do live in an area that gets lots of snow.

are there any hidden areas i need to check for rust?

if i dont haul it home it will endup in the crusher and i dont want that to happen.

phlebmaster

herculesinwyoming wrote:thanks for thewelcome and the reply, i will photo it tomorow, it looks real decent, but it has been parked for a very long time, so i know it will need alot of attention before i even try to start it.

what do the trucks have for rear ends, are they open diff or do some have a posi track type option, we do live in an area that gets lots of snow.

are there any hidden areas i need to check for rust?

if i dont haul it home it will endup in the crusher and i dont want that to happen.
Look into this website: http://www.olddatsuns.com It has alot of info on the 620.

Look at the floor and the rockers for rust. The engines and trannys are a peice of cake to work on and rebuild if needed.

Please don't let this one go to the crusher.

herculesinwyoming

thanks again, i am pretty experienced with engines, so im glad to hear they rebuild easy. i wont let it get crushed,

phlebmaster

herculesinwyoming wrote:thanks again, i am pretty experienced with engines, so im glad to hear they rebuild easy. i wont let it get crushed,
You are my hero....

Check out my project thread.... zerothread/376286

I have a 73 that I have been slowly modifying. I love my truck and it is a good choice for any young person who thinks they need a ride to tinker with...or just drive.

Return to “Datsun 620”