New guy here . . . to site and car tuning =D

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
Cpcruz
Car: 2004 G35 Coupe 6mt

hey everyone, i got my 2004 g35 coupe a year ago and finally getting off my butt to learn and put some work into her (bella). hopefully im not the only one that named my G lolanyhow i'm completely new to tuning and will prob require lots and lots of help. Since i have no idea who to trust i figured this would be a great place to start and get plenty of good info. So anyone that wants to take me under there wing lol i'm ready to go.

I'm currently living in fort lauderdale florida in the downtown area, just started out in the funeral business =/ i def don't have money to throw away but living with mommy and daddy gives me a chance to get some new presents every few months for my G. Where do i start!?

thx alot and hope to hear from everyone soon

Caio Cruz

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

Welcome aboard..

Start here zerothread/207927 to educate yourself on what's out there.

The FAQ sticky at the top is FULL of info. Modding, How to's etc...

Everyone here will take you under their wing as we love spending other peoples hard earned $$$

For starters... go intake, spacer, exhaust.

Welcome to NICO!!

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

G_whizz wrote:Welcome aboard..

Start here zerothread/207927 to educate yourself on what's out there.

The FAQ sticky at the top is FULL of info. Modding, How to's etc...

Everyone here will take you under their wing as we love spending other peoples hard earned $$$

For starters... go intake, spacer, exhaust.

Welcome to NICO!!

WELCOME TO NICO.

There are a few members that reside in florida. I'm sure that they'd love to all get together and show off cars sometime too.

CYO44Baseball32
Car: G37S 6MT

I'd love to help any questions let me know. I'd start with intake, exhaust, springs and because its G35 go with spacers

Cpcruz

ah its so nice to finally find a place to call home, car wise loli am so sick and tired of the coconut creek infinite service guys trying to sell me parts for cash when all i wanted was an oil change and of course the all knowing friend that wants to do all the installation but doesn't bother to give me any information on what where and how on parts.

anyhow i am about to head outside to take some pics of her so all can see and extremely excited well actually overwhelmed with everything i can do.

exhaust is def. overdue considering the pipe going to my muffler is bent in and one of the tips comes out further then the other aka unseen pot hole grounded out my car. so from what i read stillen is the way to go and i loved the sound clip of it.

for intake i see everyone going with JWT Popcharger w/ z-tube after reading about it sounds like the best choice (first day reading about all this so go easy on me lol) but what does it really do to the sound of the car? big difference?

and spacers . . . ya no idea what that is or what it does lol but i will be researching shortly

and lastly SORRY! about such long posts alot to get out on my first day . . .

thx again !

tollboothwilley

spacers just increase the air held inside the plenum = better flow into engine

jwt = very good. you'll notice the diff in sound mostly from the Z-tube actually (which you should get with the JWT). JWT will whistle at lower rpm's for a unique sound.

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

Intake will make more sound than power, but it's GREAT sound.

I'm personally saving up for an Injen or AEM intake. I'm not a big fan of the JWT pop-chargers, because they don't do much for aesthetic appeal.

They advertise 5.5hp to the wheels with the Pop Charger. You can probably add another 10-15 with a spacer.

I won't comment on exhaust because nobody likes my opinion

If you figure out what you want your car to evolve into, we can give you better direction.

Street power, drag racing, drifting...etc. Most of the differences will be in suspension and aero mods, not power bolt-ons.

Cpcruz

Pics !

k so JWT it is. should be in the next couple of weeks love the price tag on it as well i got the website everythingG35 from here and they have it listed at 195 . . . sound about right? for someone with no mechanic experience this sounds like a good first installation challenge as well. correct me if im wrong of course

Cpcruz

Sentientbydesign wrote:If you figure out what you want your car to evolve into, we can give you better direction.

Street power, drag racing, drifting...etc. Most of the differences will be in suspension and aero mods, not power bolt-ons.
definitely looking for street power. but i want to maintain that stock look and nothing to loud. i got the G35 because i loved the stock sound to it but i don't mind adding a view "whistles" as mentioned above i actually find that pretty appealing.

on the other hand i do want to start cheap and simple, considering i want to do most the work i want to start small and work my way up for experience purposes.

Sentientbydesign
96 I30 - Sold

Cpcruz wrote:
definitely looking for street power. but i want to maintain that stock look and nothing to loud. i got the G35 because i loved the stock sound to it but i don't mind adding a view "whistles" as mentioned above i actually find that pretty appealing.

on the other hand i do want to start cheap and simple, considering i want to do most the work i want to start small and work my way up for experience purposes.
Pop-charger and plenum spacer is the way to start then. The spacer will vary in cost SIGNIFICANTLY. I went with the BLOX 5/8 spacer, some will argue that it makes you run lean due to the higher plenum volume and lower pressure, but at half the price...

If you take the blox route, you can probably do the whole project for around $300.

Cpcruz

what size should i be looking for and how big are the differences between 5/8 1/2 and 5/16 also read about MREV2 good idea?

intake should be coming in in the next few weeks is there any need to rush to get spacers right after? or is there no big deal in waiting to get them a couple of months afterwards?

i've also been thinking about getting a short shift . . . ? any suggestions

Sentientbydesign
96 I30 - Sold

Cpcruz wrote:what size should i be looking for and how big are the differences between 5/8 1/2 and 5/16 also read about MREV2 good idea?

intake should be coming in in the next few weeks is there any need to rush to get spacers right after? or is there no big deal in waiting to get them a couple of months afterwards?

i've also been thinking about getting a short shift . . . ? any suggestions
Wait on the spacer. The different sizes are referring to the thickness of the spacer. Since you have a 6MT, just wait and buy the MREV2 and spacer at the same time.

I can't say much about the short shifter.

Cpcruz

I guess i should prob add i want to move up to a turbo in the future so i'm sure there are sorts of pre req's i should be working on before i step up that high i guess its one of those child hood dreams i still have i just always wanted to hear my car go psht when i shift . . .

anyhow thats not for another couple of years . . .

tollboothwilley

You have an 04, so the MREV2 wouldnt do much for, not worth the extra cost.

Now, your plans are to go FI, turbo, so I'd go with the Kinetix plenum. It'll give better flow, open up the engine space a bit and work best with turbos.

You'll still want a good exhaust system, so get that.

As far as intake goes besides that, its probably a waste. I'd pick up a Z tube and the Kinetix. Then save up for the turbo.

Kinetix plenum is expensive, and the exhaust isn't cheap on these cars either.

Cpcruz

so from what i found is this what your talking about?http://kinetixracing.com/index...dID=9

not bad on price. i'd still want to get the JWT popcharger just for the look and i don't mind the extra 2 months spent saving up for it

exhaust wise ya im looking at the stillen cat back going for 1200 then again our dearest president is helping me out this year with tax returns so maybe the exhaust is a little more reachable then i thought

turbo wise could someone possibly give me a quick overview on the good and bad of itwarranty and harmful effects to the car and suchand brand and pricing? never to early to start planning for a turbo

tollboothwilley

this is the one i was referring to...replaces both upper and lower plenumshttp://www.grubbsperformance.c...=3006

the other one, however, might not be a bad option. I'd call and see what the diff. is really gonna be.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”