new guy here I really need help with my brake lamps.

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
Landojmz
Car: 1979 Datsun 510

Well my problem is that my brake light switch meseed up for the second time and I dont know exactly why, I have thoughts that the third brake light that I installed is causing the fuse to blow and eventually the switch, should I un install and re install right from the brake light switch or try something else. All this is on my 79 510 that I recently purchased the wiring harness is a mess..

Speedgato
Car: 1968 510 Wagon, 1973 240z, 1974 260z, 1975 280z, 1977 620

I suck at electrical but I would remove the 3rd light and see what happens. You may want to install a relay for your lights as the old Datsun wiring starts getting a lot of resistance and making things difficult.

Speedracer906
Car: 240z 620 510 RX-7

I recently replaced all my bulbs with LED. I've done relays in the past but LEDs are better.
On a side note. Instead of the typical fast blinking issue that is well known when replacing bulbs to LEDs, I experianced a no or slow blinking issue. All I had to do was replace the flasher with an electronic flasher. I've seen people refer to them as low load but I believe they just called them "electronic" when I went to Auto Zone.
The result is less load on the switch and as a result less on the fuses.
Also....buy red or amber color for the brake lights, white bulbs make the red lens look kind of orange.

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”