New guy here alot of questions.....

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
on boost
Car: Drag racing

If you read my sig you can see I'm a Honda guy for now. This winter it will all shange;) I need info on the ka motor, how reliable is this motor when boosted with internals done? I will be using a standalone. Can you guys post your setup's and WHP numbers. Thanks:)

My spelling is garbage dont mind it

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

go take a look at chris mays car, its 438 RWHP....I dont like the body kit, but hey...whatever man. the car is still bad-***. and good for getting rid of the civic. FWD R teh SUX for racing.-chet

on boost

Thanks I like the numbers specialy the torque. What pistons and rods do you guys see more been used on the KA motor?

gyfer

Hi On Boost,Welcome on board. Your number on B18c sound nice.

Wise choice on 97-98 240sx, aka. S14 and half. :DI just started my KA24E turbo project, have very little info on aftermarket piston and rod. Try FAQ area in 240sx.org, you might find info you need.

But I don't agree with Exar-Kun. FYI, Integra Type-R has over-steer characteristic. That is still using stock 16mm (if I am right) rear sway-bar.

But still a FWD, that is no fun at all. :)

Exar-Kun

how is oversteer good for racing?-chetFWD is teh sux for racing.

gyfer

If oversteer not good for racing, why you want RWD, and why you said FWD sux ? :)

Exar-Kun

uh..so you agree that oversteer is bad for racing, which if an interga oversteers, it sucks for racing, therfore you agree with me?

"But I don't agree with Exar-Kun. FYI, Integra Type-R has over-steer characteristic. That is still using stock 16mm (if I am right) rear sway-bar."

oversteer or understeer is not what you want, regardless. given the choice between the two in a racing situation, I'd much rather have a car understeer, as it results is a lot less mistakes and crashes, plus ist easier to compensate for, as understeer is genrally not "snap" understeer...but sometimes oversteer can be "snap"

the only racing I'd want a car to oversteer constantly would be drifitng, and thats more of a "style" competition than a race, anyway.-chet

EDIT: FWD sucks because of weight distribution, heavy front ends suck for racing. plus, cramped engine bays mean less room for better stuff(larger engines, turbos, etc)..

gyfer

Errr... did I say "oversteer bad for racing" ??And, I will NEVER-EVER-EVER agree understeer is good for racing.

"given the choice between the two in a racing situation, I'd much rather have a car understeer"&"FWD R teh SUX for racing"

You are contradicting yourself.

" the only racing I'd want a car to oversteer constantly would be drifitng, and thats more of a "style" competition than a race, anyway "

Do you mean WRC car, drifting in sand/snow/gravel is a "style" competition ??? :D

" I'd much rather have a car understeer, as it results is a lot less mistakes and crashes, plus ist easier to compensate for, as understeer is genrally not "snap" understeer...but sometimes oversteer can be "snap" "

This is absolutely driver's skill problems.I do agree oversteer can be dangerous ( I just spin out , and near out-of-control hours ago on my way home. As it start pouring, and I am being nauthy :pface ) but it can be well control.

You want a car that can give you slight-oversteer in a race, or any given situation.

Sorry, On Booost, all of this is way of out topic.

Exar-Kun

Im staing my personal preferances about oversteer understeer, and WRC is a completely different breed of racing man, its like constant drift....

I never said understeer is good, just preferential to the two, and almost all cars can be made to oversteer, even those with understeer charactersitics(300ZX twin turbos, acura NSX).mario andrettin, in a car test said about a year ago, by car and driver(sport car comparision book, had the viper, vette, lotus, ferrri, etc), that understeer is highly preferntial, because you can almost always adjust to it mcuh easier tha a constanly oversteering car, and it will produce better overall lap times(drifitng is not an effective way to get down the track..) with a normal driver...

but again, thats his preference, and mine. if you like oversteer, thats all you..I enjoy it too, and my car has a bit of snap oversteer, but I'll be corner weighing it, and adjusting the suspension to make it nearly neutral, with some power undiced oversteer, but understeer on the street...kinda like a RX7.-chet

shack

onboost you are in the same boat I am(ditch the fwd honda and get a rwd drive).

BinaryVertigo

keep the type r for daily and build an S13 monster for recreational purposes-demitri

on boost

Thanks for the advice but I'm not keeping my type R, I'm going to buy a beeter for the winter. How much whp can the KA s14 trany hold? Right now im thinking between building the KA or geting the SR20DET and upgrading the turbo,intercooler and all the small stuff. I heard that the SR motor and trany can suport around 380WHP safely, so I don't know wich way to go, any advice is greatly apreciated thanks:help

Exar-Kun

chris mays got a stock tranny and its holding over 400hp.

the trannys are the same, essentially, even the gears(except 5th) are identical.

-chet

gyfer

If you upgraded KA piston and rod, the block can handle 400whp as well.

new nissan nut
Car: cars boats and women

your dealing with the same question I have to build or not to build that is the question ? I have been finding that he cost of building the ka is more then the cost of the sr20 the turbo kit alone for the ka is more than a sr20 font clip but this seems to be a great debate because these are not the only good transplants you also have the vg30, rbseries, it seems your only limited by your imagination and budget. which is why nissan will rule all hondas but your on the right track now by the sounds of it please let me if you come up with any good answers:ylsuper

Exar-Kun

heres a price breakdown:

sr20DET front clip~$2500installation: about 2 grand(depending on the shop, etc)HP after install: 205(S13 engine, others cost more.)

KA24DE turbo kit: 2100-3600 dollars(mfg specific, etc)Installation: 750 dollars.HP after install~240

now, the rate of exchange(HP gain for each dollar spent) remains in the KA24DET favor until you start getting into the 320hp range, where there are many more "prefab" products for the sr20DET.

thats just what I've seen..-chet

new nissan nut

about the diffrence but what was the price ofthe kit that hit 240 hp because so far every kit that put any power to the ka motor ive seen is 3000 and up and they also require fuel upgrades which cost more also plus you still hvae the weight issue which isn't that big but sometimes its enough but im new this so far so i could be way off base :confused:

Exar-Kun

"Stage 1: $3995

A complete kit, this stage will give around 240HP at the wheels and includes all necessary hardware and parts to turbocharge your 240SX: "

from http://www.nsport.com

and before you go "thats way more than you said!" you cang et the nsport setups cheaper, if you look around...like 2500 or so.

and thats not including any intake/exhaust work done to the car already.

-chetI dont know what "weight issue" your talking about...16lbs for a turbo setup isnt going to hurt the car...

new nissan nut

okay but buck for buck it sounds to me if i put 3900 into a buying and building an sr motor i will be right in the 240 to 300 mark am i wrong and the wieght issue is that the ka is iron sr is alum.

TruboostPerformance

I would say stick with the KA, instead of spending 2500 for a SR, and only that only putting out stock 185whp, versus, a KA with a decent kit for much less can put out the same, I have a home made kit and put out 180whp with 5psi(ruffly$1300.00), mind you the SR runs 7psi and makes 185whp, so buy an SR plus installation and you are looking at $4000 easy, or just beef the KA and they always say more displacment is better and save cash if done right with shopping around for best prices...also SLY at NISMO said the stock KA could hold up to 300hp as long as she is tuned right..

new nissan nut

I thought the sr put out 205 rwhp is this wrong ?

doctorj240
Car: Black s14 w/ redtop

Exar-Kun wrote:"

and before you go "thats way more than you said!" you cang et the nsport setups cheaper, if you look around...like 2500 or so.

hey chet. where'd you find nsports for 2500. i'll buy that right now. the lowest price i've seen so far is through ben at accelerated concepts for 3500.

Exar-Kun

now you got me searching all around, last I saw cheapest price was on the old group buy page for 2600 I think, but now I gotta find the link. :(" thought the sr put out 205 rwhp is this wrong ?"in a word? YES.

thats fwhp. FLY-WHEEL HP. now rear wheel, or "wheel horsepower" thats roughly 180-190 RWHP....

and you'll spend, like i said about 5k or more installing the sr20DET with full front clip, wiring, etc(IE correctly), versus spending 5k on a 240hp kit for the KA24DE...

-chetI'll keep lookin, I got like 50+ links gotta sort through :p

doctorj240
Car: Black s14 w/ redtop

right before the group buy page went down it was 3495. that was at this link and the price is still the same: http://home.earthlink.net/~j24....html

I've tried emailing gtpro but they haven't emailed me back yet so i might have to call.

MarkEmark
Car: fully-built '95 240sx KA-T

Dofbft---what is your set up for 180whp at 5 psi for the 240sx, and HOW did you get all of that for $1300?!? Is it intercooled? What type of turbo/injectors, etc are you using? Where did you get the parts? What year is the car?Thanks...

new nissan nut

ok you say 5k on the sr 20 swap and yet Im looking at the may 2002 volume 14 no.5 issue of sport compact car where they took a 89 240sx and turned it into a 180sx for a little over 3k now that included greddy downpipe and toda flywheel and jim wolf clutch with injectors being more powerful 370cc the can handle turning up the stock turbo which comes with the motor so you so now instead of 202hp at 6k you should be closer to higher 200s and low 300 hp mark you and good intercooler and ecu program and exhaust and now your screamin by the guy who spent 4k on the ka but I have been known to be wrong anyway you look at it its one hell of a argument :ylsuper

Exar-Kun

"ok you say 5k on the sr 20 swap and yet Im looking at the may 2002 volume 14 no.5 issue of sport compact car where they took a 89 240sx and turned it into a 180sx for a little over 3k "

good ****ing luck finding that deal anywhere on this planet now.

every good sr20DET with fron clip(all the stuff) runs at least 1800(correct me if Im wrong) alone, not including install.

I mean, sure if you shop around you MIGHT be able to find aprts for the car for that, but unless you plan on installing it yourself, your gonna get reamed in costs fomr engine swapping..

plus the t25 turbo installed on eht s13 sr20DEt isnt good for high hp applications anyway, as it is designed for low rotating mass/fast spool up, not high flow...

and meh, I guess I was wrong about the costs..I could swore I had some site about it...oh well :(-chet

new nissan nut

and why wouldnt you want to do it yourself isnt that the fun part of it hell thats why i like nissans cause you can wrech on them and they still seem to run but hey thats just my theroy everyones intitled to theirs

Exar-Kun

good luck man, good luck. if you got an extra car, go right ahead, but I ahve seen 7 or more botched sr20DET swaps, and its nasty when it happens man...

if you dont know EXACTLY what your doing, I'd leave it to someone who does man...its a *****.

-chet

new nissan nut

okay here is the deal my wife drives it to and from work as a second grade teacher in good old domestic town usa and i have about three months during the summer to destroy it and then bring it back to life :D but its all good right and I still dont know if i want the sr or to build the ka that why I am debateing this here maybe someone out here has that one little fact that will make up my mind the main goal out of all this is the only thing around here are eclipse and honduh!! and they are all stock with 6ft alum. wings and if Im not dealing with those yayos Im dealing with the good ol boys and the stock 5.0 that mommy and daddy bought them sooo I want to eat them alive with my 240 and rock on :ylsuper

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”