New Geek Toy: Filco Majestouch MiniLa Air

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I'm a bit of a keyboard geek. I type a lot, and am fairly adept at it, so a good keyboard for me is like a good set of tires on a sportscar: without them, it's still fast, but with them it's able to make full use of its abilities.

With keyboards, I look for a few things:
Good ergonomics (no, not that split or curved crap, I mean the angle and curvature of the keys and their relative layouts).
Good keyswitches (a market that's exploding these days, which is great because variety is always nice--but most of the newcomers are not very good)
Decent features without being overladen (my DD at work and at home has a USB hub and media controls and that's it--I don't care for 27 macro keys or backlighting or jet fighter styling)
Solid build-quality. All my mechanicals could probably serve as decent cudgels if it somehow came down to such a bizarre circumstance.
Good general functionality: basically, make it easy for me to type efficiently without thinking about it.

My Daily Driver keyboard at home and at work is a Das Keyboard 4 Ultimate. At home I've got MX browns. At work, MX blues (google if you're wondering what the Hell I'm talking about).

I have a Surface Pro 4 that I carry with me pretty much everywhere, but which does general-purpose duty around the house as well. I've been wanting something a little more satisfying and a little speedier than the (admittedly superb by laptop standards) Microsoft Type Cover that goes with the SP4. After some research, I found what I hoped would be the perfect companion:
The Filco Majestouch MiniLa Air

Filco's well-known for building solid, basic-but-robust mechanical keyboards. The Majestouch line has a pretty solid reputation. The MiniLa is a Minimal Layout setup (more in a bit) and the Air is bluetooth. Mine has MX Blue switches, because they're my favorite for general-purpose typing (I prefer browns for gaming, but blues will certainly suffice in a pinch and excel at everything else).
The box doesn't give much hint as to the MiniLa's unique layout, but it does show that it's a tenkeyless design. What's neat, as you'll see in the next pictures, is that the MiniLa packs a full key FUNCTION count into a 5-row tenkeyless with a special FN (function) key layout that lets you keep your fingers on the home row for everything. The theory is that this will allow you to type much more efficiently with less reach and less moving your hands away from home keys.

As it turns out, the MiniLa is the PERFECT companion for the Surface Pro. It's within a couple millimeters of the Surface Pro's width (which is not surprising--MS surely chose the size of the Surface Pro to allow for a "full width" keyboard on the type cover), as you can see here:

In that picture, you can also see the twin sets of labels on each key. You can also see the odd-sized spacebar, flanked by Fn buttons. Those Function buttons are what let's the MiniLa work its compact magic. The 5th row doubles as F-keys, and the JKL block double as scroll-block keys when those Fn keys are held down. So to hit F5, I simply use one thumb plus the 5 key. For backspace, I can reach to the normal location or hold a Fn and use my right pinky on the ; key. For delete, Fn+M is a clean, quick combo. There's even a duplicated set of arrow keys on ESDF to minimize the need for finger movement while navigating a cursor (WASD seems more sensible at first, but remember the goal is to let you keep your hands on the home keys at all times).

I was a bit unsure about the tiny spacebar before I tried it, but as soon as I tried it I realized that I never use those outer edges of the spacebar that have been split off anyway. I don't notice it at all. I DO notice the tiny right Shift key, and sometimes slightly overshoot and fat-finger the gap between it and the up arrow, which throws me off enough to interrupt my flow. I'm getting used to it, though, and I find myself using the left edge of right shift even on full keyboards now. I also wish they'd trade the duplicate ~ key next to the dedicated backspace to allow for a full-width backspace on the US layout. Fn+Esc makes more sense to me than reaching up with my right pinky, and there's no need to have that key of all keys represented twice.

Here are some shots next to my Das Keyboard and one with the Surface Pro 4 Type Cover:

The keyboard is very solidly-built, despite its generic plastic looks. It has a fair heft to it, and feels extremely solid. The MX blue keyswitches are as fantastic as ever, and the keycaps feel nice. The keycaps are unfortunately pad-printed, which means they'll wear in addition to having a noticeable feel to their raised ink. But as someone who's used to typing on unlabeled keyboards, the only labels I'm really worried about are the secondary ones for the shrunken layout of this particular keyboard, which shouldn't wear unless something goes very wrong.

One of the neatest features of the MiniLa, though, is its customization options.
On the back of the keyboard are six DIP switches.
These switches toggle specific keys between certain settings, to allow you to customize certain parts of the layout to suit your preference. Even cooler (and something I didn't realize until I took mine out of its packaging, because no other reviews mentioned it): Filco provides alternate keycaps for these alternate configurations, along with a high quality keycap puller.
I am actually quite happy with the "stock" layout, but I have played with swapping \| for backspace.

Overall, I think this keyboard's really excellent. It makes a great desktop companion for the Surface Pro, but I can see its appeal with any computer. I actually think a MiniLa equipped with MX browns could be a fantastic "competitive" gaming keyboard due to the way it puts all your standard functions within easy reach. The blues mean double-tapping keys is a little less responsive than I usually like with gaming, though.

One last note: it SEEMS like there's no NKRO, which is disappointing. I get ghost-cancelling when using down-arrow plus WASD combinations (common in--say--Bind of Isaac Rebirth), which I honestly would hope not to see at this pricepoint (I paid $170 on Amazon).

Phatman
Car: 03 Pilot

Dipswitches?!?! Mother of! I haven't seen those in YEARS! Last time I remember setting them was on an old Dot Matrix printer I had.

That is a pretty slick portable keyboard, though. And I love the panic button on your full sized. :D

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

That's pretty sweet. I'm not a typist (still relatively fast), and I prefer to have more real estate on my desk. I could totally do without the numkeys.

Chris, is there a "downscale" model of this type of unit (y'know, for us plebes)?

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Man, I completely missed the replies to this.

Tenkeyless keyboards are actually getting quite popular, so there are tons of options. Not all of them are compound layouts like the MiniLa; a lot are just a standard US layout without the tenkey. Some can definitely be pricey, but there are more affordable models.

One unfortunate downside of a lot of modern quality keyboards (particularly mechanicals) is that they tend to be a little too "gamer focused" and look obnoxious or loud and have unnecessary features like customizable RGB backlighting (something I've never really understood the appeal of).

BUT, there are still subtler/more professional ones.

Das Keyboard makes the 4C (not to be confused with the little Alfa..heh) which is basically the tenkeyless version of the Das Keyboard 4 in the comparison pictures above. http://www.daskeyboard.com/daskeyboard-4C-professional/ for about $99
Corsair makes the K65 that goes for about $80 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DOWCQ0I
Coolermaster makes the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid for about $75. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0068INSUM
There's also the wired version of the MiniLa, which is about $30 cheaper than the bluetooth model at $130. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BEVVFD0

Out of those, I'd suggest the 4C or MiniLa wired.

Then there's no-name stuff that I'm not sure about quality-wise, but that's much cheaper, like these things:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DPCJADC?psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016MAK38U/

Keep in mind that most of these are going to be mechanicals, so keep an eye on the type of keyswitch type, usually denoted by color (blue, brown, red, black, sometimes green or clear) and brand (Cherry MX, Topre, Romer-G, Omron). They're going to have varied typing feel and sound levels (blues and greens are really clicky while reds, blacks, browns and clears are quiet). Many of these keyboards are available with a variety of switches, so look for the one you want. If you're not sure, browns are a good middle-ground to start with. Tactile but quiet with a medium weight.

Interesting fact: Cherry, the company that makes MX switches (some of the most widely-used) is owned by the same ZF that makes automotive transmissions and other components.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

So, a followup: the keyswitch for the H key on this thing is sticking badly. I have lots of Cherry-switched keyboards, and this is the only one with any issues. The bad keyswitch isn't Filco's fault, but I'm having trouble tracking down someone to fulfill my warranty on it, since Filco (to my knowledge) has no local offices or direct US reps. Their website is in Japanese.

Return to “Computers / Electronics”