New Garage - Need ideas to maximize working space, storage, etc

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
2_Liter_Turbo
Car: _________________
'96 S14 Coupe: SR20VET
'90 R32 TH1 GTR: RB26DETT
'92 S13 Fastback: SR20DET
'11 V36 Sedan: VQ25HR
'06 GMT800 2500HD: LBZ Duramax

So my new house is about a month out from being complete. Getting a new "over-sized" garage to play with, but I can't make up my mind on how I want to approach making it the most awesome garage I've ever had. So if you have cool aspects of your garage/shop or just some good ideas you've come up with or seen, please share (with photos if possible)! 

I'll have to update the thread tonight with some pictures (at work atm), but the new garage has 10.5" ceilings, and is billed as a 5 car tandem garage. It's 1,041 sq ft with a two car garage door and a single car garage door up front. The two bay door has a floor depth of 37ft. The single bay is high 20s I think (I honestly forgot off the top of my head, but can update tonight). 

Some points of the garage that is already done or already planning on doing:
* I have 3x 220/30amp dedicated outlets.
* Because it's a post tension slab, I am going with a 4 post lift
* Lots of 110 outlets (a few are 20amp dedicated)
* Already paid for epoxy on the floor - textured for non-slip
* Painting the wall in a similar scheme as Nismo stuff, but with blue instead of red.
* Jackshaft garage door on single door, standard garage door on dual bay door. 
* Has a garage service door off to the side of the single width bay (And window).
* Fully insulated with dedicated A/C unit (I live in the desert... LOL)

Cars that will live in the garage at all times are just the R32 and S14. One spot will be an open spot for oil changes, etc. The wife will most likely park there in the summers. I have a lot of the large steel storage racks you can pick up at costco (not the giant orange ones they use, smaller than those). Planning on adding a welder, blast cabinet, large compressor (have a small one currently), and a few other larger toys, I mean tools... 

I'd like to optimize wheel/tire storage, hardware, parts storage, raw material, and work areas. That's about it, lol.

Oh, and I drew a simple replica in solidworks so I could move stuff around,  ha!

EdBwoy

That is exciting! Congrats on the build.

So much space so you probably don't have the issues I had with laying out my 2-car garage. However, we might have some commonality in wheel storage.

My principle was just like real estate, horizontal space is limited and at a premium. Vertical space is usually free and underutilized (think about all the dead space above your hood or trunk, or the top corner of the garage).
I usually prefer to reach up for stuff so most of my stuff is stored overhead.

I don't have any pictures handy, but I'll take some and post them later.

I was curious as to why your single car spot isn't as deep as the others, is part of the house behind it?
I'd love to see the plan if you don't mind sharing.

Again, I know you don't exactly have a space issue, but for making use of limited space, I think The 12 Gauge Garage is an oft-referenced example. It is very relevant depending on whether your space is a workshop as well.

2_Liter_Turbo

Thanks!

I have quite a bit of "stuff" to fit in this garage. My current 3 car garage is packed! I have stuff in the living room and sideyard as well, because of space limitations (and inefficient use of space).

I agree, I definitely want to utilize as much vertical and wall space as possible, with a goal of still keeping things "uncluttered" and "open" as possible.

As for the single spot not being as long, I'm not sure. It's just the plans that were available with this builder (not a custom home, it's in a development). Here are the general plans/layout.

I will be using the garage for "making things" as well as building/storing cars. I'm tired of working on my projects outside because the garage has too much stuff in the way!

2_Liter_Turbo

Here are some pics of the "blank canvas" as of right now. A/C unit, water heater, and garage doors aren't installed yet.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

SM, you need to come out here and visit the Ranch. I've learned a ton since building my 68x40, and I'm sure some of it will help you... plus, sometimes it's good to brainstorm in situ.

2_Liter_Turbo

I definitely need to make my way out there again!

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

You'll probably find you could use even MORE space to be honest.
I have a 36x36 shop and find that it can get cramped at times... although I keep a bunch of yard work stuff in there too (stuff you probably don't have/need in the desert).
Shelves are nice. I have half of each wall dedicated to shelves that go about 3 to 4 feet deep. I store wheels and tires under them, along with other stuff I don't generally use very often. Things I use often or need to see details of are on the waist level of the shelf, and more stuff I rarely use or is somewhat ugly and not very easy to make look good (think wiring and such) is on the very top shelf.
Whoever built my shop certainly didn't put in enough electrical, but it sounds like you've got that covered.
They also didn't put in enough lighting. It originally only had 6 florescent fixtures. I've been slowly converting it all over to LED, and actually using my rafters to mount chip on board stadium lighting (legit... came from the "undesirable/reject for slight twist in the board" lighting during the construction of the new Georgia Dome).
It might be a little late for you now, but I was even thinking of making an area with lighting in the floor so if/when I put a car over it, I don't have to mess with a stupid hand-held light.

2_Liter_Turbo

Yeah, definitely. If I could have more room, I totally would! LOL. I am going to build a shed in the side yard for storage (I can build 120 sq ft max without a permit), as well as the large parking area behind the 12ft RV gate for outside vehicle storage. I want to keep things clean and tidy though, no cinderblock projects in the front yard type of business! Ha ha

I hear you on the shelving and lighting. Haven't figured out either yet. Need to look around at examples to see what I like.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

+1 about checking out Greg's shop. I was impressed with his layout.

2_Liter_Turbo

Yeah, I've been there once so far, and it's definitely nice! But I have a LOT less room, LOL!

----------------

So I modeled my new garage. I'd say it's accurate to +/- an inch at worst, lol. I also cut away the large blank wall (minus a few outlets) so it's easier to see detail.

So the first image below is my empty garage with what I'm thinking of cosmetics. I know it's not a slick rendering or anything, but you can get the idea. Still up in the air for epoxy coloring, but I'm thinking gray for the lower part of the wall, followed by 2 12 inch stripes in black and blue accordingly. Then, the upper part of the wall is left white.

Here is the garage with what I currently own in terms of major "furniture". Only thing in this image that I don't have but was planning on getting was the 4 post lift under the red "car" and an extra large shelf (shown in black in the middle - I own three currently). I have an extra engine stand and a couple other smaller things not shown. And of course, all the stuff that goes on the shelves, LOL.

Any ideas for changes or where good places to put the cabinets would be (if I do built in)?

Rockbri
Car: Nissan Qashqai

Cleaning is a complicated and diverse subject because everyone has their own way of cleaning and it is an important process because we cannot live in a dirty environment. For example, I think that at least once in a few months it is best to turn to a cleaning company because they have special appliances and chemicals that remove any dirt and do their best to keep everything clean and disinfected. For example, I always use *REDACTED* when I need them because they have conquered me with their serious way of working qualitatively and I can recommend them with confidence.

Dbarry
Car: Nissan 240SX

2_Liter_Turbo wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:28 pm
Yeah, I've been there once so far, and it's definitely nice! But I have a LOT less room, LOL!

----------------

So I modeled my new garage. I'd say it's accurate to +/- an inch at worst, lol. I also cut away the large blank wall (minus a few outlets) so it's easier to see detail.

So the first image below is my empty garage with what I'm thinking of cosmetics. I know it's not a slick rendering or anything, but you can get the idea. Still up in the air for epoxy coloring, but I'm thinking gray for the lower part of the wall, followed by 2 12 inch stripes in black and blue accordingly. Then, the upper part of the wall is left white.

Here is the garage with what I currently own in terms of major "furniture". Only thing in this image that I don't have but was planning on getting was the 4 post lift under the red "car" and an extra large shelf (shown in black in the middle - I own three currently). I have an extra engine stand and a couple other smaller things not shown. And of course, all the stuff that goes on the shelves, LOL.

Any ideas for changes or where good places to put the cabinets would be (if I do built in)?
Pretty good design. Hanging cabinets might give more free space.

Return to “General Chat”