New FX35 owner with a question (poor acceleration in 1st gear)

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
IamNick

Hi everyone:

I am a happy new owner of a 2010 FX 35 (blue slate with graphite interior/premium and navi). The car is great so far with one exception--the acceleration of the car from a stop seems sluggish. It seems as if the car struggles in first gear until approximately 2500 rpm, the car then shifts into 2d and begins to accelerate properly. The initial acceleration of my Honda Odyssey minivan is much better off the line. I spoke to the service department of the dealership where I bought it. The service manager inquired internally and learned that the dealership was putting regular gas in all their vehicles and suggested I run through the first tank of regular gas and then put in premium and see if there was any difference. We did so and there does not seem to be much difference. i understand some of the earlier 2009s had transmissions that needed to be re-flashed--has anyone heard of any similar problems on the 2010s?? any other thoughts??

Thanks,

Nick
Modified by IamNick at 7:19 AM 11/27/2009

rontek
Car: Had -2008 Infiniti EX35 Now - 2009 Infiniti FX50S

I know when I first went with an AWD vehicle, first my EX and then the FX, I too felt the intial acceleration was not what I had experienced in previous non AWD vehicles. Even the G series loaner's I have been given at various times seem to have much better initial acceleration than the AWD vehicles. I know after the reflash on my 09 FX50s there was significant improvement, but the only way you can be sure it is not something specific to your car, is to test another similiarly equipped FX35 off the dealers lot and see if there is a significant difference.

CoupeVQ35CVT
Car: '98 Lexus GS400, '91 'Yota Land Cruiser
'09 Altima Coupe 3.5SE CVT, '06 Sentra 1.8 SE

One thing's for sure, the dealership's either stupid, or stingy and using 87 octane gas in an engine designed to run on premium fuel. That it self can be an issue, but since it's only one tank hopefully it is not that big a deal.

As for the sluggish acceleration, that is very weird, since it is not a CVT I dont know why or how it would not properly accelerate in first gear... hmm.

FRITZ35
Car: 2010 FX-35 Umbria

Nick - I had a new FX45 in 2003 and it was quick from a dead stop. Two days ago, I bought a 2010 FX35 and drove two of them before deciding on which one to purchase. Here is my experience:

1) FX35-Umbria with wheat interior and 300 miles (dealer-trade miles they said).2) FX35-Umbria with graphite interior with 3 miles and nice brand new car smell.

First I drove #1 - In driving #1, I noticed that it was quite sluggish from a dead stop. Since I had not yet driven #2, I just thought it was the difference between an FX35 and my previous FX45. I also noticed a hard ride, so checked the tire pressure and the tires were around 45 psi per tire.

Then I drove #2 - This one was very quick from a dead stop, similar to my former FX45. It also rode better and in checking, the tires were around 35 psi per tire (so this must have accounted for the noticeable difference in the ride). #2 also had a new car smell that was noticeably different from #1 (maybe the dealer trade driver liked cigarettes ???).

I guess you can figure out which one I bought! (#2).

From my many years experience in buying new cars, have come to the conclusion that no two cars are the same, even though built to the same specs. Back in 1959 I bought a new Ford 2-door Country Sedan station wagon and my mother bought an identical new wagon at about the same time. Her car always had much more pep and got considerably better gas mileage. One time we drove both cars (together) from NE Ohio to Buffalo, both starting with full tanks. I had to fill my tank about 1/2 way back, but my mother's car ran all the way home and into the next week. About 2-3 years later I had an old-time mechanic take a very close look and he determined that my car (from the factory) had the timing set back (retarded) from factory specs. After my mechanic reset the timing, it ran better, but I traded it in shortly thereafter, so forgot about it until now.

So maybe you might want your Infiniti dealer to take a very good look at all of the specs. It could be a simple solution to a frustrating problem. I know that after driving the two FX35s, I told my wife that "they are not the same car". Luckily I took the time to drive both, as otherwise would have never known the difference, had I bought #1.

As to fuel, our previous M35X called for premium fuel. After the fuel prices increased so much, we went to mid-grade fuel for over 2 years, and I could not tell the difference. I haven't decided which fuel to use in the FX35 as yet, but will probably go for the mid-grade to save about 20 cents a gallon. I do not think fuel is the problem with your car - instead would look towards resetting the transmission and rechecking the ignition. Don't give up based on the dealer's word - your car should jump off the line from a dead start. Performance is "Infiniti's middle name" and the reason that most of us keep buying them. Good luck.

IamNick

Hi guys:

Sorry for taking so long to get back on--been a crazy couple of weeks. Thanks to all for responding.

In any event here is the update. Went through the first tank of regular and have used premium ever since. Don't notice any real difference. I think the acceleration problem may come from the fact that my last car--a 2004 Honda Accord (4 cyl.)--had a very sensitive accelerator. If I really press on the gas on the infiniti it does accelerate pretty well--not the feeling of being pushed back in the seat I expected, but not bad. So the issue may have been me and not the car. It still feels sometimes that the transmission gets caught between gears and just spins--this is in motion and not from a stop. Also, I don't know if it is related or not, but the mileage has been much less than expected. I've been getting about 15 MPG in combined city/highway driving (more highway than City). I am not a lead foot or anything and do not do rabbit starts but think I should be getting better than this.

Lastly, the car has a rattle from the back that is driving me bananas!! I could not figure out where it was coming from--I removed everything from the trunk including the cargo organizer, the cover, tightened the spare, etc.) One day i was driving with one of the rear seats folded back a bit more than the other and the noise seemed to disappear. Hate to think that i have to drive around with the rear seats askew.

All in all, although I started out a really happy owner, this has turned out to be a choice I am regretting. Anyone have an X6 they want to trade??

Nick

FRITZ35
Car: 2010 FX-35 Umbria

Nick,

Your FX-35 should push you back in the seat and should certainly accelerate better than your Honda. If I were you, I would take it back to the dealer and have the transmission reflashed. Also read my previous post on my experience with two FX-35's (identical cars - both new 2010). One was sluggish and the other one hot. I went for the hot one and have no complaints.

This morning, I was driving on a highway from a red light and noticed that the transmission shifted as smooth as silk - I could barely make out each shift - love it. My mileage (country and small town) is averaging around 20 mpg, although no jack rabbit starts as yet. On the drive on the turnpike to home from the dealer, it was around 23 mpg, but expect this to improve as the engine loosens up a bit. The Infiniti V-6 is one of the most powerful and dependable engines, so don't settle for less than the correct settings to maximize your power and minimize gas consumption. As it breaks in, it will improve. I plan to use medium grade fuel in the future unless a noticeable difference

FRITZ
Modified by FRITZ35 at 6:21 PM 12/22/2009

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”