new driveshaft tues, 8 am at T-3

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
greg_atlanta
Car: 2008 G35 Journey Sedan, silver/black (no sunroof), 1992 Q45 (in a past life)

FINALLY decided to replace my driveshaft (at 176K miles). Made an appointment with Anthony (???) at T-3 S. Cobb for Tuesday, 9/17 at 8 am.

Dennis.... question: Anthony said they couldn't order the part until the car was in the shop. Huh? Do local dealers usually have the driveshaft in stock? If not, can I find out before Tuesday?

I might just drop by Monday afternoon and offer to pay up front if they can order the part on Monday. Waste of time for me and T-3 to have my car on the lift all day waiting for a part.

Will you be around? Your pickiness is always appreciated!

Greg Boyer

greg_atlanta
Car: 2008 G35 Journey Sedan, silver/black (no sunroof), 1992 Q45 (in a past life)

Oh... standard '92 Q, no TCS

Are the center support brackets part of the job, or are they not necessary?

aaacomp
Car: Family, church, Computers, Cars

When I replaced the shaft on my 91T I had to buy the center support (about $30) it was an upgraded version from the one that came on the car. And yes it made a big difference in the car.....:thumbup

greg_atlanta

Well, guess I'll just find out tomorrow morning... hopefully the new center support bracket comes with the driveshaft.

greg_atlanta

Showed up at 8 am this morning, Tommy test drove it and Byron put it on the lift, decided it also needed a new transmission mount. I had already replaced transmission mount in Feb. 2001, but the driveshaft wobble had worn it out again. Might as well get it perfect!!

Byron also found that the passenger side end link of the front sway bar had broken. I replaced all the front sway bar bushings in Sept. 2001, but guess I drive it too hard!!

Parts were ordered by 9 am, but parts got there around noon. Then they figured out that the updated driveshaft (universal unit for all 90-96 Q) requires a new center housing (or something like that) which dealer parts guy didn't realize. So..... was on my way home at 1 pm with no work done.

But I'll try again tomorrow. At least Anthony (new service writer) will cut me a deal on the labor for the frustration/waiting.

Advice to other customers.... if you plan on waiting for your car and need parts not normally stocked, bring your own parts!!!

At least Dennis kept me entertained and took me for a spin with his freshly tightened sway bar bushings.

(Only fun thing I learned today and that Honda engines run backwards.)

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Sounds like quite the adventure.

At least it was at T3 where just hanging out can be fun.

Fred...:)

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Well, the old Honda fours turn counter-clockwise, but the sixes never did. The new fours are normal and rotate clockwise also.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

It seems like anything related to Infinti parts is frustrating these days! At least the center carrier brackets should be readily available....

I'm being told that it could be TWO MONTHS to get the fuel tubes I need for Q2. Tom at Infinti of Lisle is checking other dealers for anything in stock, but as far as being in a warehouse at a distribution center - nothing. From what I understand, it may be as complicated as going to the vendor who made those lines in Japan, having some more made, shipping them over on a container ship, waiting for customs, freighting them to a DC, shipping them to Infinti of Lisle, who will then ship them to me. This is the kind of s%&^ that makes me think about looking at other brands when I buy something else. TJ... come back!!

Heath

greg_atlanta

:D :confused: :D :confused:

Well, new driveshaft and trans mount are in. Only took Tommy at T-3 about 45 mins. Initial impression is that it does feel a lot better, but certainly not a new car all over again. Still getting some subtle vibrations, so I guess motor mounts are next?!?

But got the big one (almost $1000) out of the way, so that's progress.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

I'm glad your car is running better Greg!I wish i had a place like T3 here...

Enjoy!

Fred....:)

greg_atlanta

It feels better today!

Could a torque converter cause a shuddering feeling? I still get a wobbly feeling around 50 mph.

Return to “General Chat”