new datsun 521 fan

1965-1971 Datsun 521 forums. All 520 and 521 topics and discussion can be found here.
bluepit101
Car: 1968 pl521 datsun toy truck

Hello everuone. :ohno: Im a new datsun (1970) pl 521 fan. my neighbor gave his old truck its a 521. it needed body parts,motor,tranny and wheels. we went and picked up some wheels from the local tire shop. we put them on our new toy, my son and i pressure washed her and that was our new love. I hit the local wrecking yard but had no luck with the body parts. one day i was repairing a roof i happent to peak at the neighbors yard and noticed a 521. i knocked on that houses door and i scored on 5 complete doors a hood a bed and one fender. My wife thought i was crazy becouse i hit the ATM for $100.00 dls. to pay for these old parts, but my son and i thought different. we put the truck together and she looked " NICE" we had to do the next stem motor and tranny. Pick n Pull had a 50% special a few months ago. i did some research and put in a l16 with a 5 speed. i was lost for a week or so with the drive shaft and tranny mount but after asking around i was given a few tips and got it on the road. but We want to put'' FRONT DISK BRAKES" the drum ones just dont feel right. we tryed adjusting them but had very little impovement if any. If anyony one can point me on the right direction on how to do this please do so. Im also on a buyet. I cant afford that nice brake convertion thats listed on e bay. But i do have a good connection at my local wrecking yard. there a few newer 620 on the yard the can be donor cars but im not sure what in looking for. in a visual person so if you have any 411 with pics would be perfect. I hope im not asking for to much from my datsun loving brothers and sisters. thanks again. :poke: :gotme

LaughingBull
Car: 97 240sx
72 521
77 620
74 cb550
76 cb550

Grats on the 521 find. Datsun 620's were drum as well except a few 78-79, even then the front suspension won't swap over you'll have camber issues. You can get a custom upper control arm to fix this, but the cheaper option is probably just gonna be caliper mounts that attach to your spindle. Then you'll only have to get calipers, rotors, a different master cylinder, and redo the brake lines cause they are sae and your new calipers and mc are gonna be metric. Hope this helps somewhat. I'm redoing my whole suspension because I wanted to get rid of drums, and the kingpin setup, its definitely not a cheap fix by any means.

Return to “Datsun 520 / 521”