New Custom Tonneaus?

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
Lord Umoja
Car: 1993 240SX 'Vert

Ok so this project is a few months off but I'm going to be working with a local upholsterer or two and try to create a custom tonneau for my vert as the OEM ones are impossible to get.

Here is the question for everyone. If you were getting a tonneau made, how much would you be willing to pay and what kind of details would you be looking for in it? I'm planning on demanding that it fit the factory location, but I don't know how well they can do formed stuff like the factory cover so it may be all relatively soft. I'm trying to get ideas, and when I get one made I'll post pics and price if anyone is interested. If I know ahead what people want I can possibly get something made to be sold as a NICO exclusive. All opinions welcome.

nurvcom

once you got pics i mite want one :)

Lord Umoja

Well it's gonna be a few months. I was trying to get ideas of what people were looking for in a tonneau so I could have a list to give to the upholstery shops.

nurvcom

well for cover

well soft would be cool if it and be kinda stretched to make tight fit using stock points

and if hard type like oem smooth and hopefully not big and bulky

DRIFTER-M
Car: s14
s13 VERT!

If this is the cover that guards the convertible top when it is down...

I would be willing to pay a few hundred.

Obviously, the cheaper the better, being that this is a small sub-community with people who buy relatively cheap cars.

As another poster said, the less bulky the better.

I do really think the main thing is cost though, see what way is the most inexpensive, plan from there! Keep us updated!

Lord Umoja

Least expensive would be like you see on old British sports cars. Something like this without the passenger cover of course...

DRIFTER-M
Car: s14
s13 VERT!

So what is the estimated price point for something like that, so we can build off of it?

OEM design is probably best, if it is indeed affordable enough...

Lord Umoja

No idea on cost yet. I'd venture to say that the cost of the old school version may be in the $200 range for some thick leather/vinyl material. As for one like the OEM style, I have no clue if they can do the semi-rigid parts like the OEM one. I just bought an OEM boot so I'll have something to use as a reference when I go to the upholsterer in June or so....

Lord Umoja

Update on the project.

I recently bought an OEM tonneau. It is at the upholstery shop getting some damaged stitching fixed. I talked to the owner's wife last night about the project when I dropped off the tonneau. When I pick it up tonight I'll talk with the owner and see what can be made. It will be soft like the British one above. So far from what I can tell, it will be soft with pockets for the top frame (instead of the molded bulges on the OEM) and should have the factory style mounts. I'm trying to keep the price point under $250 but won't know until I talk to him. I may need a set of pre-orders before we can produce them so stay tuned.

Anything you want me to ask him please post up and I'll get answers tonight.

Lord Umoja

So talked to the upholsterer today. Good news and probably bad news.

Good News: He is confident he can make something close to the stock style tonneau. It will have padded sections like the factory one but more seams because he can't make smooth molded shapes, he has to stitch them out of roughly 2D plates.

Bad News: No idea on price but I doubt it will be under $250. Also at least a month off before he can begin to make the prototype. As said before it won't be fully molded like the real ones, almost a mix of a soft one and the OEM Molded one.

Any continuing interest or is this DOA? I'd like to get some serious interest before I really dive into this thing.

bgoodwill
Car: 92 240sx convertible

I have an OEM boot and storage bag I'll sell for $250 + shipping if there's somebody out there that wants the original look or doesn't want to wait around for this project to materialize. Please PM me if interested - I don't check the forums very often.

Lord Umoja

I'm guessing by the dead-ness of this thread that this project is a no-go. If anyone is interested post up, otherwise I'll consider this a dead end.

Bgoodwill, you have PM receipt disabled so there is no way to send you PM's or reply to any you send.

Fastazz240
Car: 1995 240 SX, 93 Vert, 95 Hardbody 4X4

im interested just kinda wandering about quality and price of course.

bgoodwill
Car: 92 240sx convertible

Thanks, Lord Umoja, I had no idea my PMs were blocked. I think that's fixed, now, so please try again.

The boot was seldom used and in near perfect condition. I can send pics to your email (but never seem to be able to post them on forums). I would have to have to your zipcode to get a shipping quote but think it's going to be in the $25-30 range to most US locations. Or free pick up in Salem, OR area.

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”