New Convertible owner....now for the questions!

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
dumbusername
Car: 1994 240sx Convertible

YIPPEEE!!!!

It's official, I am now the proud owner of a 1994 280sx Convertible - white, black leather interior. Pictures to follow when I get done detailing it. Since I wasn't able to register it today I spent the day "playing" with things. Of course I found things that don't make sense and have been searching the forums for answers. Found some, but not others. For example, the chimes indicating the door is open and/or the light are on goes off when the passenger door is open, not the drivers side door! Also, is there supposed to be a cockpit light that goes on when you open the door? Also, the emergency brake doesn't work at ALL. I'm guessing it might be snapped. Is this a pain to replace?

BOOT........need I say more??? Group buy?

Thanks for all your help. This forum is the best I've seen!!!

Now, havingsaid all that......the car is a beauty! And I can't wait to hit the road!!!

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

PICS PICS PICS!

Welcome to NICO!

Chimes sounds like a door switch issue.

Lights (under dash and on w/s header) should come on w/ open door. Could also be door switch (do they come on with pass door open?)

Check all fuses and bulbs (obviously)...

E brake is useless in an automatic IMO.

Boot - Good luck. Some people here have them, very few are for sale, people think they're made of gold. They're nice to have, bt not worth what some folks are asking for them. Keep an eye on ebay.

p.s. I have a factory leather vert as well (black on black).

dumbusername
Car: 1994 240sx Convertible

This is too funny! I ran out to the garage to check the passenger side door. You're right! The car lights up like a Christmas tree when I open the passenger side door. At least now I know that all the bulbs and fuses work. That's the good news. The bad news is that I have no idea how to "unswitch" the problem.

I'm more than open to suggestions. The more detailed the suggestions, the better!

I've been reading that a lot of people have problems with the e-brake. I've also been reading about problems with transmissions and how the car being so heavy may contribute to tranny problems. Having said all that, is there a danger in using the transmission as a brake? Does it put too much pressure on the tranny? I couldn't afford to fix the tranny, so should I get the brake fixed ASAP?

One last question: I'm trying to find an owners manual or repair manual. Chilton doesn't have one for the '94. Where do people find them?

OK, one more "last" question. Is there anyone in the LA area that has a convertible? I'd love to meet to learn more about the car.

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

Ebay for convertible service manual...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...=WDVW

As for your door switch.. Check the side of the door. You should see a little plug sort of thing that gets compressed when the door closes on it. That switch tells the lights and chime that door is open. Check on the passenger side door first, you should see it open up with the door. My guess is that the driver side door switch is jammed or blocked or stuck or something like that and is just not popping open with the door. If that is not it, if you can get at the wiring inside, I would venture a guess that you have a wire disconnected.

If you can't find it, I will post a picture later of what to look for.

I wouldn't sweat the e-brake too much. I don't think you will hurt the tranny by leaving it locked in park. Even if it is the ebrake, those are usually pretty easy fixes. Take it to a mechanic and have him check the cable. Might be severed, or stretched too far, or just not hooked up to the handle. You should talk to the previous owner of the car to see how long it's been since the ebrake was working if you can. Common thought is that if you want to use the ebrake, use it all the time.. if you don't want to use it, don't ever use it. If you go for a very long time without, then all of a sudden use it, it can lock in, and not work very well. My dad found this out the hard way and put his van in the ditch years ago becuase it didn't disengage.

I am sure you will fine some 'vert owners in LA. Not sure of any on this board though. Go back and check the roll call thread to see if people on there posted their location.

Get some pics up when you can. Must be nice to get a leather one. Mind sharing what you paid, how many miles, etc...

About the boot... talk to Dan (Danrc30). He has one for sale right now. He's a great guy.. no worries buying from him. Check his post for details... http://www.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=96854

last time I talked to him, he also had a 'vert top and window brand new if you need those.

Good luck! Congrats on the new car! Welcome to the best 'vert forum on the net!

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”