New Convertible, Dinged Already

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
flatheadfisher
Car: 2010 G37 Convertible

I have lurked around this fourm since before I bought my new 2010 G37 a couple of months ago. I learned that there was a potential problem with the convertible top. However, I knew I wouldn't put anything in the trunk and I was determined to be diligent about raising and lowering the top without hesitation. Well, I had the car washed this morning and I noticed a deep gouge in the paint on the roof panel on the driver's side. I was angry with the car wash because I thought they did it somehow. I checked the rest of the car out and everything else was OK.

Well, I had to move a large cardboard box from the post office to my house. The only way to get it in was to drop the top and put it in the back seat. So, I dropped the top, careful as always to keep my finger on the button until the dash board indicated it was finished. I drove home and when I put the top up, I had a deeper gouge + dent on the passenger's side. The scars are bilaterally symmetrical.

I went immediate to the Infinity store. The service manager told me to bring it in on Monday and they would try to diagnose the problem. He kept saying this would happen if there was something in the trunk or if the timing. I told him I have not used the trunk - the car only has 1300 miles on it. I also told him that I have followed the directions completely and that I was aware of the potential problems if the directions were not followed. He said he would talk to Infiniti on Monday and they would probably repaint the top.

Well, I don't feel good about having the top panel repainted - the car is brand new! Worse yet, I don't want to worry everytime I put the top down that this will happen again. This is my first Infiniti and my first "luxury" car. I almost bought the BMW but I liked the Infiniti better. I hope they make it right and that it doesn't happen again!

I will post pics here soon to document my dilema.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Maybe something will be done about it. Obviously there is more to the issue it than simply avoiding "putting packages in back".

Good luck, keep us informed, and welcome to NICO!!!

bschurr
Car: 2009 G37S 6MT Conv

Wow - that totally sux! So sorry to hear about your problem.

Obviously there is something causing these roof issues and it is likely mechanical. I am sure that your dealer will correct it and keep you as a happy customer. The bigger issue is gaining your confidence that it will not reoccur.

Good luck.
-B

PS - welcome & please provide some details about your new ride...

flatheadfisher

I will post some pics of the new ride once I get them loaded.

I took the car to the dealership on Monday. They were very friendly and extremely efficient. They gave me a M35 to drive. It is brand new and a really nice car. Grey with a black leather interior. I have never owned a four door car but this one is sweet!

They are working on my car. I hope they will be finished with it today. I will let you know what happens.

Rosensj
Car: 2011 G37 convertible
Full Transparant Nose/Hood/Mirror Bra
Premium
Navigation
Sport Tire and Wheel Package
Black Obs Ext
Graphite/Maple Int

Anything on what gives yet?

flatheadfisher

I finally got my car back from the dealer last Friday. I don't know what took so long. But, at least they had me in a sweet M. They repainted the top and it looks good. There is overspray all over the windshield and the rest of the car. I am not too happy about that but I can get it off. They said they couldn't find anything wrong with the mechanism and that there must have been something in the trunk or something that got it out of time. I reiterated that I haven't used the trunk and that I always followed the directions for raising and lowering the top. But, it is fixed. I hope I won't have another problem.

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”