New Convertable tops? And repairing door panels?

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
ewittiner

Hi All,

I just got a 1993 240sx convertable this weekend. It has top on it that is okay (been streched out so when you drive it bubbles up and the rear window is all hazed up). I am after a little information on putting on a new top; cost and amount of effort? What about swapping a top off of a wrecked convertable 240sx? or is it just easier to put on a new top? Where should you buy one from, aftermarket or the dealer? Are there quality differences?

Next issue is the door panels centers (carped portion) is falling off. Is there an easy fix or replacement for this problem.

Thanks.

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

ahh two very common issues.

You can get a new convertible top for around $300. Check the 'vert forum back a couple months and you will find a couple threads about it. You can do the work yourself, though I hear it's a pain.

Here's a link for one on sale.. ebay..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...=WDVW

The door panels are probably the most frusterating thing about the 'verts. They were very poorly made. The fabric center (armrest and surround for power doors/windows, etc...) was stapled to the rest of the door around the ring. They should attach behind the door release handle for a small amount of fastening.

What I have seen people do is put in new fasteners around the outside of the panel. It looks pretty tacky though.

I really don't know of a good way to fix it.

Actually... if you really wanted to fix it... checkout AZHitmans thread about removing the 'vert door pillar. He did an awesome custom job of swapping out the 'vert doors for actual couple doors. He cut out some 80lbs of crap from the doors and made them fit perfectly.

If you think of a good way to deal with those center panels... let us all know!

Good luck! Congrats on the new car!

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”