New Cats

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
PATHFINDER99NI
Car: 1999 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4

Guys, the Pathfinder failed its emissions test by having too high readings of NOx. Im guessing its the cats because the drivers floorboard gets really hot. Hot enough that on hot days, my heels get real hot in my shoes. And thats with the full carpets in and the OEM rubber floor mat. I do remember getting a cat code a few months ago and the truck does have 256k on it. So I was looking around and found these two for $175. There is no real part number, and the printed numbers say they are for referrence only. I did manage to zoom in close enough and saw a number NONT55033 stamped into the cat.

Anyway, do these look like they will fit a 1999 Pathfinder LE 4x4? The guy had them listed as Pathfinder/QX4 cats and doesnt know anymore then that.

What do you guys think?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lDVm-1 ... sp=sharing

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

They look right for a '99, and unless you're in Cali a cat is pretty much a cat. If they're cheap and weak and cause P0420/P0430, use O2 spacers. If you're in Cali you're SOL, they need to be CARB-compliant and my understanding is that they'll flunk you for no CARB numbers on the casing.

Mike W.
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4 with a drinking problem. Gas and oil.
2002 BMW 525it
1998 BMW 328is

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:43 pm
They look right for a '99, and unless you're in Cali a cat is pretty much a cat. If they're cheap and weak and cause P0420/P0430, use O2 spacers. If you're in Cali you're SOL, they need to be CARB-compliant and my understanding is that they'll flunk you for no CARB numbers on the casing.
As frustrating (and expensive) as the Calif requirements are, typically if they don't meet CARB standards they'll only last a year or two. CARB approved cats should get you double that or more.

PATHFINDER99NI

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

s***, I cant believe they are so damn cheap. God damn shame.

This is enough to total the truck if I get the quality, OEM units.

Alright, thanks again for the info.

MisterH
Car: 1999 Infiniti QX4

PATHFINDER99NI wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:06 pm
Thanks for the quick reply guys.

s***, I cant believe they are so damn cheap. God damn shame.

This is enough to total the truck if I get the quality, OEM units.

Alright, thanks again for the info.
CA legal cats would run about $500 for the pair, and that would be for Walkers. You can find a few lower priced options.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/news/carb-releas ... ach-carbon
Y'all really need to read that, and either get out while you can or change your voting habits. Your beautiful state is about to become an electric flush toilet, where only the very rich don't have an electric geofence around their mobility.

PATHFINDER99NI

VStar650CL wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:28 pm
https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/news/carb-releas ... ach-carbon
Y'all really need to read that, and either get out while you can or change your voting habits. Your beautiful state is about to become an electric flush toilet, where only the very rich don't have an electric geofence around their mobility.
Im really hoping the coming economic collapse really nips this kid of legislation, in the bud.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

https://www.newsmax.com/us/california-g ... d/1084522/

Hope ain't gonna cut it. Clearly, Sacramento has become an insane asylum.

PATHFINDER99NI

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:05 am
https://www.newsmax.com/us/california-g ... d/1084522/

Hope ain't gonna cut it. Clearly, Sacramento has become an insane asylum.
Unfortunately voting isn't going to do it either. There is too much money involved in the corruption in DC (and all of our local governments) for anyone to stop. We need a complete non-violent revolution from the current political system. Our republic died along time ago and all we have are politicians promising us things to get voted in. If there is a honest statesman they either get mocked and ridiculed (Dr. Ron Paul) or they get absorbed into the system (AOC, et al). The best thing to do now is become self sufficient, move away from the falling giant, and hope for the best. We keep the Constitution in our hearts and teach it to future generations, but we have to move on.

I noticed in my emission test paperwork that they noted that the knock sensor is bad. I hate to have to do it, but I will. I know OEM is always recommended, but if that is not available for a few days, will an Oreillys unit be a good replacement? Im also thinking about rebuilding the fuel injectors while Im in there.

Thanks again for all the help.

Nick

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PATHFINDER99NI wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:07 am
I noticed in my emission test paperwork that they noted that the knock sensor is bad. I hate to have to do it, but I will. I know OEM is always recommended, but if that is not available for a few days, will an Oreillys unit be a good replacement? Im also thinking about rebuilding the fuel injectors while Im in there.
Aftermarket knocks are generally fine, but I'd do the knock relocation thing and get it out of the valley entirely. Injectors is a judgment call. They don't fail much on a well-maintained vehicle getting good fuel, but you do have high mileage.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”