New Care, First Drive Feedback

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
cotandem
Car: Infiniti G37C

,We picked-up our G37C last Thursday. Traded in a 2001 Boxster. Drove 300+ miles from Denver back to Grand Junction, CO that afternoon with our new car. Comparing the two cars is like comparing a gocart to a luxury vehicle. While the Boxster is tops for acceleration and cornering, the G37C is the winner is all other comparisons. And at 50 years old, my wife and I value the smooth and comfortable ride of the G37C over the harshness of the Boxster. We love the Bose system with the speakers in the headrests. The air-conditioned seats make a big difference. The transmission was smooth climbing two mtn. passes on the way home. At 75 mph on the interstate, my wife and I could still talk in normal voices. We love the XM radio. The brakes were firm and communicative coming down the mtn. passes. Fit and finish appear to be very good.

We had a clear bra put on Friday morning.

Our only concern are three quarter size blemishes in the paint on the hood. They can only be seen in the right light, which includes our garage... They appear to be between the clear coat and the paint. I have tried a couple of my Zaino products to no avail. Working with the dealer to find a solution.

Other than that, the car is perfect!

Hope this helps others!

Modified by cotandem at 9:00 AM 8/31/2009

Modified by cotandem at 9:00 AM 8/31/2009
Modified by cotandem at 9:01 AM 8/31/2009

mjlenox
Car: 2009 Infiniti G37 Convertible, Premier Edition

Welcome to the group! I still love mine, though the honeymoon is beginning to end, I still miss it tremendously when I decide to leave it at home due to bad weather.

Enjoy!

Poyzinous
Car: 2004 G35x Premium 1976 Classic Red 36 inch #18 Radio Flyer Wagon...

Welcome to Nico, and Congrats on the Gconv!Its been a very satisfying car for many people. I don't know what it is, but the Convertible seems to be very highly praised. How were the mountain roads? Everyone says the car handles very well for a 4,100lb convertible!

cotandem

The only time I felt the 4100 pounds were around some corners at speed where I felt the front end plowing a little deeper than I was used to. I was however very pleased with it's mountain climbing abilities. I was going 65-70 mph uphill at 9500' elevation with RPM's in mid to high 2000's. Specifically that was to the Eisenhower tunnel and over Vail Pass. Only twice did the transmission kick into a lower gear and RPM's go above 3000. I was very impressed!

bschurr
Car: 2009 G37S 6MT Conv

cotandem wrote:The only time I felt the 4100 pounds were around some corners at speed where I felt the front end plowing a little deeper than I was used to. I was however very pleased with it's mountain climbing abilities. I was going 65-70 mph uphill at 9500' elevation with RPM's in mid to high 2000's. Specifically that was to the Eisenhower tunnel and over Vail Pass. Only twice did the transmission kick into a lower gear and RPM's go above 3000. I was very impressed!
Welcome & congrats on the new car.Looks like the Vert community is expanding nicely!

I am a an avid skier & get out to Aspen at least once each spring for some of Colorado's finest pow-pow. Enjoy the drive on Rt 70 now because in a few months, you won't be able too - even with chains

Enjoy your new toy & treat her well!-Barry

PS - Sounds like the paint blemish may be from stickers and might be corrected by a little Goo Gone and a light buff to remove the petroleum by-products. Keep us posted!

cotandem

Per the request of the Denver Infiniti dealer, I set up three appts. at local body shops this morning.

The Nissan dealership personnel determined that the damage was between the clearcoat and paint and would require completely sanding the hood with 1000 wet grit sand (I think), applying paint to the 3 affected areas and then re-applying clear coat. Then I would have to have clear bra re-installed.

At my second appt. the owner looked at the spots and asked if I would mind if he took a swipe at one of them with a buffer. Low and behold, that is all it took. He said he sees the common problem in new paint applications that chemicals are released after clear coat is applied. This might cause a slight "wet" look at the spots where this happens. He theorizes that someone along the way (factory, at port, or at dealership) tried to fix the spots and instead made them cloudy looking. Using a buffer with polish fixed the issue.

So I don't know if what he said is true, but I do know that the problem is gone. And in typical small town fashion, no charge for his work but instead gave me some business cards and asked me to think of him when I know of someone who needs auto body work done. Wow!

Hope this helps others.

Poyzinous
Car: 2004 G35x Premium 1976 Classic Red 36 inch #18 Radio Flyer Wagon...

He's probably right... but the important thing is Problem solved! Get back to driving!

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”