new car new problems

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
zatch37
Car: 350z 2005 black

So i got a new 350z yesterday, and it is so great. But i was consered about the oil presure. When idileing its at about 20 psi and than say that im on the freeway, its at 90 psi. Now i kinda know about cars and i never had a car that went below 30psi of oil pressure. Is this normal for a Z? Or am i asking the wrong forums? If so, anyone know a good 350 one? Thanks everyone.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Welcome to Nico350Z

I believe we are one fo the best as far as maturity and accuracy of 350Z answers goes (this forum has never steered a guy wrong, ever).

As for your question, idle psi at or below the 20psi mark is perfectly normal in our cars.

Many cars spec idle oil pressure in the mid teens of psi even.

I will go look up the exact figure in the factory service manual one of these days.

My 350Z when fully warmed up with 30 weight oil , will show well under the 20 psi mark ( also keep in mind our gauges arent perfectly accurate or proprtional all the time)

With a <fully> warmed up 40 weight ( 10w-40 good summer fill) its just a tad below that 20 mark on (fully warm) idle with no load i.e. no AC no lights no fan etc).

Fred...

zatch37
Car: 350z 2005 black

Wow that was awesome. Thanks so much and i will be at this stie alot now because, well you know, lol. Anyway so thats normal, what about the psi when the rpms go up. I mean the psi goes to 90 psi for oil when 3k + but settles down after a while. i just want to know if the person that test drove the car before me went past the 4k rpm mark, which your not cuz of of seals breaking or whater...so am i just worring for no reson? or should i take it back?

PalmerWMD

Dont worry, ..:

If cold start, even with a 30 weight (like a 5w-30 or 10w-30), your oil pressure can approach an <indicated> 90-100 psi.

When fully warmed up and you really rev it, you can still go over 90 psi especially with thicker oils, but even with your factory fill.

with a 30 weight ( which in your car now) at a fully warmed up 3000 rpm in 6th gear cruising at hiway speed of just tad over an indicated 80 mph, your oil pressure will be approx right in between the 60 and the 90 mark.Thats about normal.

Fully warmed upo by the way, doesnt just mean the coolant gauge is up were it usally sits, the oil gets hotter than the coolant and so it takes longer to get there.

I'd say easily 10 ,minutes of driving, until your oil is fully warmed up and you will see your warm operation numbers.

After you watch your car for a bit you will develop a good feel whats normal when fully warmed up at what rpm.

Fred..

PS: Keep in mind that our gauges read very approximate, for real excat oil pressure readings, a shop can measure for you.

PalmerWMD

PS: Up to the 90 psi markl ( or higher ) is typical for an oil thats not warmed up yet.

These fluctuations are all due to the difference between cold and warm oil.

NISTECH

To add to this: I have seen what kinda oil pressures these engines run when cold. During one of my tech school classes they had an oil gauge hooked up to your engines predasessor the VQ30DE, when the engine was fired up cold it well exceeded 100psi for the first 3 or 4 mins of operation. That was with 5w-30 oil and the car was inside a enviromentally controled building. The temp of the oil at start up had to have been close to 70 degrees when the car was started. Not at the 30 or 40 something degrees, or lower, that oil is typically at on a cold start up in winter. Your readings as Fred said are typical of that engine.

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”