New car maintenance 101

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
ilusha55

Hello everyone!

Versa is my first car (this may be the case for others too...), and i was wondering if someone could give some tips on how to maintain the car for first 1k-5k miles.

For example making the first oil change on 500mile or never empty the gas tank completely because the fuel pump can burn out...well everything that is not mentioned in the manual but is still good to know for careful driver. If you have tips like that, write them here, it may be a good resource for new drivers like me

Appreciate all the feedback!
Modified by ilusha55 at 2:04 PM 8/18/2006

Juelze
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue 360 AWD

ilusha55 wrote:Hello everyone!

Versa is my first car (this may be the case for others too...), and i was wondering if someone could give some tips on how to maintain the car for first 1k-5k miles.

For example making the first oil change on 500mile or never empty the gas tank completely because the fuel pump can burn out...well everything that is not mentioned in the manual but is still good to know for careful driver. If you have tips like that, write them here, it may be a good resource for new drivers like me

Appreciate all the feedback!

Modified by ilusha55 at 2:04 PM 8/18/2006
I could understand the 500 mile oil change. The dealer told me to come in at 3750 miles for my first oil change so I'll listen to them. However, I'm a bit skeptical as I know with motorcycles (higher revving engines) they usually want an oil change with relatively low miles as there are usually metal shavings in the crankcase from the break-in period. I thought the Versa engine was supposed to be "micro-finished" so it might not be quite the case with these engines. I have heard someone else on this bored comment that todays engines really don't need much of a breakin as they are so well designed.

Just my $0.02.

-Juelze

Kegard
Car: 1.8SL CVT

I have been using synthetic oil with all my cars for a while now, so when I bought my Element new last year, the first thing I wanted to do was drain out the factory oil and put synthetic in.

But after a lot of reading and research, many people told me that the factory puts in a special "break-in" oil that is meant to stay in the engine until the first scheduled oil change. It's supposed to help take out the shavings and such. I didn't verify this with Honda, but I waited until the first sheduled change to put in my synthetic just in case, and that's what I'll do with the Versa too.

Elmojo
Car: 2007 Versa SL

I had a similar question about break-in periods and oil changing, so I asked the Service Manager at my dealership, and he told me that "all Nissan engines are run for the equivalent of 500 miles before being installed in the car, and therefore no break-in period is necessary."

Can anyone confirm or refute this?

The same service guy told me that I can change to full synthetic right away (not waiting until 3,750mi), and advised me to always run synthetic (not switching back). I can confirm that at least the second part of that statement is good advice, since running synthetic, then switching back to conventional oil, may cause leaks due to seal shrinkage.

ilusha55

What about the front wipers, are they up to expectations or should i change them?

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

They seem to clear the window very well. Mine have a bit of chatter on them, but I think that's because the dealer put Rain-X on the windshield and failed to tell me.

ilusha55

I found a site that advises on how to maintain your car so it can stay as "new"..

http://www.familycar.com/CarCare/Waxing.htm

electech
Car: '02 Explorer Limited, '03 Escape Limited, '07 Versa SL HB CVT, Convenience group, splash guards, flo

I wouldn't believe anything that service guy said and would NEVER put synthetic in right away. I would wait for at least the first 3000 or 4000 miles or even on the second oil change. The rings will not seat properly with synthetic. The part about all Nissan engines being run for 500 miles I would watch out for too!!! I personally don't believe it. You should ask the guy that if no break in is needed, why does it call for and state how to drive for the first 1200 miles during "break in period" in the manual!!! Seems the service guy is just dreaming!!!

Return to “Versa General Chat”