New car brake/tire smell

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
superjv1080
Car: M45 + FX35

Maybe it's just been a while since I bought a new car but I'm smelling brake and tire use when I get out of my car. I've had the car 2 weeks now and put on ~500 miles so far. I've got the M45 Sport. Is it just standard break-in? How long should it last? I'm not driving the car hard. I punched it from stop a few times after I got it but even with a 25 mile trip home from work (80% freeway) it's a bit strong.

Is it just due to new brake pads and sport tires?

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I wouldnt worry about it... same thing happened on our new grand prix...

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Common for early miles. Should go away soon after the initial tire wear (about 300 to 700 miles or so) removes the surface tire material that has vulcanized or hardened from not being driven. If not, take it back to the dealer and ask!

Also, do check if the wheel/rim get excessively hot ... that may be a sign of stuck calipers and dragging pads, but I would be very surprised if this is the case!

Z

larry.contrisciano
Car: Infiniti M35 sport 06' and Acura TL 04'

Hi,

I have an M35 sport, and I never had that problem w/ the smell during the first two weeks.

BUT, (I can't believe I am admitting this) one day I put on the car's emergency brake, as I was on a hill. When I got back in the car later, I forgot to take it off. I drove the car about 10 miles, of which 5 were highway. Only at highway speeds did I start the car feel to hesitate.

The dealer adjuster the brake cable and sent me on my way. I guess what I am saying is your emgerency brake on, perhaps just a little. Lastly, I never enen noticed the brake light was on, it was blocked by tyhe top rim of the steering wheel. My bad.

tkeskic
Car: 2006 M35x Premium with "Aero Package" + 2010 QX56 AWD 7 Seat/Premium + 2007 MB ML320cdi

The smell is the coating over the engine and many other parts, including brake discs etc for when they transport it, it protects it from the salt water and other elements as many of the parts sit for a while before installed ina car, then they take some time to move to the USA/Canada.

Domestic cars also have this same smell, but its far less noticable, and for much less time; My Infiniti took almost 30 days to get the smell burned off. It was mostly noticible when the car came to stand still, and/or was turned off;

And I'm sure the E Brake was off... (have'nt even used it yet)...

The smell is not too harmfull, but if any of your passangers in the car are pregnant, I would urge you to avoid them in your car until that smell is gone, its just a safty thing. Also if you hade the interior done with the protection packages, same rules apply; I have heard of (but not seen first hand) studies that seem to indicate there isa high risk of birth issues etc) - so to be safe, I have avoided have passanges that are pregnant...

tk

tkeskic
Car: 2006 M35x Premium with "Aero Package" + 2010 QX56 AWD 7 Seat/Premium + 2007 MB ML320cdi

elwesso wrote:I wouldnt worry about it... same thing happened on our new grand prix...
I had a Grand Prix once for 13 months; it was a nice car, by far the best GM car I've ever owned (and I've had many of them); My bad luck was a guy in an SUV decided red lights were optional and crashed into the side of me, cost more than $23k to fix the car, and I could never get it to stay together after that, ended up having to sell it for a $10k below book value to make it move.

I loved the car, not near as fancy as the M's - but it was pretty cool... I had the Special Edition (Not the SE, but GTP with Special Edition), and put on a new spolier on the back...

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Was it the older body style or the newer one... Weve had a 97, 01, and an 04.. The 05 blows the other ones out of the water, the 97 and 01 were garbage..... IMO

superjv1080
Car: M45 + FX35

I can say that the E brake was off. I just didn't smell the brake/tires on my FX35 when I got it 2 years ago. I figured this was normal but wanted to ask in case there could be comething that needed to be checked out.

Thanks for the input and setting my mind at ease.

tkeskic

elwesso wrote:Was it the older body style or the newer one... Weve had a 97, 01, and an 04.. The 05 blows the other ones out of the water, the 97 and 01 were garbage..... IMO
I had a 2002...I know the 05 are very nice, I was thinking of getting one, but I had a pretty bad experance behind the wheel with my friend the SUV, so I decided it was best to avoid that model.. (its been more than 3 years, and I'm still seeing doctors for this accident)tk
Modified by tkeskic at 3:17 PM 12/31/2005

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I understand..... I can say though, the 05 is LEAPS AND BOUNDS over the other one... You can just tell its better built, engine is more powerful (just slightly), the car handles better, and the brakes on this car are just PHENOMINAL. On the new GXP, the one with the 5.3 V8, theyre actually putting on good tires (bridgestone RE050A) instead of the crappy BFG's that are on here right now... Ive really beat the crap out of the 05 and its really a blast to drive... Still doesnt handle as well as my Q, but the supercharger makes it great... Gobs of torque in about any gear! The tap shift works better than the auto/manual shifter in the G35... I still wish we would have gotten the Bonneville with the northstar in it, but we just got way too good of a deal on this one!

GM needs to get out of the 80s and put a 5speed auto in this thing..... Then itd really be a screamer.. Overall the Comp G package actually does something and this car is really great! If it were RWD, id probably prefer one over a G35...... ESPECIALLY if it had a 5 speed auto.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”