New bare bones setup needed, opinions wanted...

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
Booztd 3
Car: 1990 Nissan 300ZX TT

Guys

I'd like to put together a new bare bones system. I already have purchased a 500gb HD, however I could possibly go SATA drive (bought an IDE) its the same price at BB.

Anyways, I'd like to hear your guys suggestions. I'm not out for anything extreme or cutting-edge. I made this last system last since 2002 (AMD Athlon 1600) I'll be ordering a new mobo/cpu/mem combo, and possibly a new video card. I do mainly surfing but I do some video editing as well. I already have a newer case with a 400W power supply.....

Lets hear your input

Thanks

Uberck
Car: 240sx

video editing go w/ or nvidia quadro fx card and cpu stick w/ intel xeon, excellent for multi threaded video programs

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Most new motherboards do not have enough IDE connectors, but have lots of SATA connectors - the IDE connector (usually only one nowadays) is useful for a CD or DVD drive.

So, you may want to switch to SATA, if you are building with new components.

Z

teddy
Car: Saab Turbo and MR2

A lot of new CD/DVD drives are also sata now, so IDE isn't even necessary.

To start, I would recommend not buying parts at best buy since you can get them much cheaper at much better places. I'd also probably stick with a Core 2 cpu for now. They're plenty fast, affordable, and they'll be around a while.

I don't know what I'd recommend for a mobo though. It doesn't sound like you need anything crazy, so aside from the cheap trash motherboards, anything is likely to work well for you.

j35us
Car: 1991 240sx SE Hatchback (Stock)

First off, bb is a ripoff, newegg or price watch is the best way to go when ordering components. As for other parts, a nice gForce 7 or higher would be best if you're doing a lot of video editing and, as much as it pains me to say it, a mac os would probably work best for you. The size of the files you make will probably require SATA3 speeds and a nice sound card (creative) with a decent dvd burner to top it off.

Return to “Computers / Electronics”