"New" 86 - cheap but has a starting problem

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
lrayvick
Car: Datsun 521

It is a 66 K mi "shortbed" manual 2.4 L with carb. Bought it not running but registered non-op for $350. White paint is starting to peel but the body is straight and the interior is like original including the owners manual. Engine compartment looks completely unmolested.

Here's my problem - comments and suggestions appreciated.

After installing a new battery I got it to start - lots of smoke at first which tells me it sat for a few years. It starts with diffeculty, will rev sometimes, will idle smootly sometimes and roughly at others. When I pump the carb I see no fuel squirting into the carb throat.

Diagnostics done a couple of years ago say the fuel filter was bad limiting the rpm to about 2000. At that time supposedly the fuel filter was replaced but the problem soon returned.

So the first things I will do is drain the fuel tank, and check the fuel pump and filter for flow. Is there a chance I have a bad carb. If so will I need to buy a new one or can they be cleaned? Does it have an o2 sensor and cat? Any typical fuel problems with these trucks?

Ray in El Cajon

flinterman2000
Car: 2000 Nissan Wingroad, 85 Datsun 720 Pick Up.

Is it KA24 or Z24. The carb is easy to clean, using a carb spray. but the motor must be running. If Barstec is available (this is in the form of a foam), idle up to 1500 RPM and spray the inside and outside of the carb. shut off the motor and empty the tin inside the carb, open the throttle to allow the remnants into the manifold and let soak for 15 mins. turn over the engine until it starts. If this dosent help you will have either to find a good mechanic or buy a new one. If no smog regulations where you are look for a webber.

lrayvick

Flinterman - thanks. I live about 100 miles south of you near San Diego. It is a Z24. I understand the KA24 was injected. I will try cleaning the carb if it still doesn't run after I check out the fuel supply.

flinterman2000
Car: 2000 Nissan Wingroad, 85 Datsun 720 Pick Up.

Well Irayvik, I live in the island of Trinidad in the Caribbean and is glad to help in any way I can. keep us posted.

REV it up!!!!!

lrayvick

Can't rev it up quite yet, and I do appreciate all the help I can get.

Anyway, today I drained the fuel tank of about 7 gallons of some stinky stuff. Removed and checked the fuel filters, pump, and lines then reassembled and tested. Got fuel to the carb.

Now the hard part. Pulled the carb which was kinda dirty in the float bowl. The float needle was stuck so that's why it wasn't getting much fuel and both main jets were open but the smaller one was almost plugged. I also noticed a broken external connection between a vacuum part and the throttle linkage. Will put up a pic if anyone is interested.

I suspect the broken connection has to do with the starting and choke system. Are these carbs even sold rebuilt any more? I doubt it. I did find a carb rebuild kit for $65 plus shipping on line. I might try and fix the broken connection but may try and smog it first - here in CA it's very diffectult to pass smog if there is any aftermarket motor stuff so I won't be going the Weber conversion route.

I also found it has about $270 in backfees - the fees you get charged anyway by the DMV for failing to register your vehicle each year. So the carb fix better work or this is a parts truck.

LRAYVICK
Modified by lrayvick at 8:15 AM 7/28/2009

lrayvick

I now have a RUNNER and even the air works. So my worries were for naught (still have to pass smog). Put the carb back on, fiddled with the idle and started it a few times. She finally got all the systems going and runs GREAT!

I don't think I will ever buy another truck.

Now all I have to do is change the fluids, fix the gas gauge, do some paint and probably replace the good looking but 18 year old tires.

dogred
Car: 1983 D720

I would definately run some SeaFoam for the first couple of tanks to help combat the reside from the old gas that may still be in the gas lines.

lrayvick

Passed smog today - HOORAY!!

I still had some issues to take care of - found a vac leak at the manifold vac fitting, found a partly connected coil secondary wire, and the fuel pump filter is plugging with tank rust powder every hundred miles or so even though I have drained the tank twice. May have to drop the tank to clean it well.

Return to “Datsun 720”