New 2007 350Z - Can a GPS & Sub be Added to a base model?

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
johnsal
Car: 2007 Nissan 350Z Coupe

I just bought a gray 2007 350Z. It has an automatic transmission, but no leather or other goodies the Touring model has.

Of course the first thing is a rear spoiler. The ones I have seen are either unpainted or black. Tips greatly appreciated.

Since there's no GPS and no subwoofer, I'd love to add them, as funds allow (no $9k mod budget for me - that's what I paid for the car!). Would this model of car have the wiring pre-installed, or does the Touring model have a different wiring harness? Are electrical schematics available?

I am an electrical engineer, so I am fairly comfortable trying to add these things myself - once I find them.

Besides eBay and Craigslist, where do you guys find used parts?

Also wondering if rims can be repaired. Terrible design when the first thing to hit a curb is your rim!

Are there any 350Z Clubs in the San Francisco Bay Area?

Thank you!

djwarner
Car: 1971 240Z Series I
2006 350Z

The OEM NAV unit only came with the BOSE radio system and has a different CANBUS/wire loom than yours.

I replaced the OEM radio with a 7" dvd/GPS unit from Eonon. Price was within your budget. While you can get connectors to plug into the Nissan system, there are none to connect the steering wheel inputs. I ended up splicing in bullet connectors into that wire bundle. This allows me to revert back to the OEM radio at any time. Also added a rearview camera. I did not add a 10" subwoofer behind the driver's seat, though it would not be that difficult to place a small amp in the same area. Run the wiring for the sub woofer/amp and rearview camera under the center console.

The shortcoming of this setup is that the display sits exposed to the sun through the door windows and hatch glass. Nothing so serious that window tinting wouldn't fix. Leaves the storage area above the radio intact. I dressed the lead for the iphone connector through this area and also store the remote and usb cable there.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 240SX, '05 350Z, '13 Juke

Thanks DJ!

He's correct on all counts, and even if you could go with the OEM navi you're far better off with an aftermarket unit. The OEM unit is DVD based, so the updates are infrequent and expensive.

And the there's the nightmare of having to deal with the Bose setup. :tisk:

The thing that I would miss most on the base model that's also the hardest to integrate would be cruise control. I'd miss Homelink more but it's easy to add after the fact.

Welcome to NICO! :badger

johnsal

So much to learn!

Since I am not able to work on engines, I am quite clueless about exactly what I have. It is a salvaged vehicle that had right front damage. The work seems to have been done well.

I have 2 aftermarket air intakes, with the cone-shaped filters showing. Is that what is meant by "twin turbo", which a friend told me it has.

What is Homebase?

Which exact afetrmarket GPS/CD system did you choose? The ones I am seeing are about $300 - $400.

BusyBadger

I have the factory navi unit.

Homelink is (on the 350Z) an auto dimming rear view mirror with a programmable garage door remote control with space for different codes. Some Homelink mirrors, I think the one on the Xterra maybe, also have a digital compass inset on them.

I've also tapped the power supply block on mine to power my radar detector...

...it was a pain to do, but is so nice and out of the way and no dangling cord.

djwarner
Car: 1971 240Z Series I
2006 350Z

Twin turbos refers to two turbochargers taking exhaust gases to spin centrifugal compressors at very high rpms. The compressors take incoming air, compress it, send it through an intercooler in the front of the engine bay, and from there, send it to the intake manifold. Needless to say this involves lots and lots of piping.

Or... someone may have replaced the factory air filter body with some piping and K&N filters. This supposedly improves the engine's ability to breathe, but any horsepower improvement will be minimal.

After carefully shopping for aftermarket DVD players, I selected Eonon for a couple reasons. First they come with Sygic GPS software and have the ability to update maps. Most such units use pirated Sygic maps and cannot be updated. Second, the unit will interface with the steering wheel controls without additional hardware. Third, there price was attractive.

johnsal

Still trying to figure out which model I have. Enthusiast? I have all the controls on the steering wheel, chrome pedals. No leather or GPS. Automatic Tiptronic.

I know the piping for the twin turbo was added. If the stock horsepower is 306, how much horsepower do I have now?

My Valentine V1 radar/laser detector just arrived! Now I have to figure that out. Long manual.

johnsal

Thanks diwarner!

BusyBadger - What type of detector are you using? The V1 detects front and back and I don't know that having it up that high would allow it to work out the back.

Do you leave the detector there all the time? Most people hide them when they park somewhere away from home. Is that to deter theft or can the police hassle you if they see it there?

BusyBadger

That's a Valentine One in the picture. It detects rear radar perfectly.

It's mounted high for a few reasons. First, it's high enough out of my sight-line that it doesn't interfere with my view of the road ahead but I can still catch it in my upper field of view with an eye flick if I need to. Second, it keeps others people from spotting it -both drivers that might be tailing me by spotting a detector mounted on the windshield or would-be thieves wanting looking for a quick smash & grab target. Third, any "uniformed safety officer" that might be standing beside my car would need to actually stick his head in my window to see it. I don't know a person yet that's ever been pulled over with a mounted detector (that was seen) that got off with a warning.

From the front window, less than three feet away
- only the suction cups show

From the driver side window - nothing to see here

It used to be much harder to spot from the front before I had to replace the windscreen because of a crack from a rock, I had a pretty dark tint strip on top of the OEM strip that I haven't replaced yet. Actually kind of happy I haven't redone it, that pic is from my second windscreen and I'm on my third - I'd have to have done it again.

Lastly, the high mount is Mike V's mounting recommendation for increased range and better pickup of laser scatter. But please, DO NOT RELY ON THE V1 TO SAVE YOU FROM LASER! A laser save is a rare thing, out of the hundreds of "laser hits" I've taken only two were actual LIDAR shots. The others were either sun reflections, or light from a high mounted center stop lamp. The Infiniti FX 35/45 & Lexus LS430 both use laser assisted cruise control, and while that's a true laser alert as far as the V1 is concerned it's not what we're concerned about. You're not going to outbrake laser (or radar for that matter) and odds are that if you're V1 is going off from an actual LIDAR gun more likely than not it's just informing you of an impending ticket. If laser is used in your area I'd recommend other *ahem* counter-measures, either passive like Veil or active, like a set of jammers (frequently called shifters to avoid negative connotations). Be aware that active laser counter measures are not legal in all states.

If you want to get the most from your V1 in the always escalating radar wars I recommend getting the V1 Connect and YaV1 (Yet Another V1 App) if you're on Android and run them on your phone along with Waze.

Like I tell everyone though, when you habitually drive over the limit you will get a ticket. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. Happy motoring!

:shifter:

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”