New 2004 G35X owner with a couple of issues

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
Tark
Car: 2004 G35x

Hi!I'm a new owner of a 2004 G35X. I've had the car since mid January and i'm having a couple of issues with it.

First off the car is running pretty well. These issues are not major issues but i'm afraid they can BECOME big and expensive problems later on. Keep in mind that this car also has a lot of millage. It's at 300,000 KM (185,000 miles)

1- when starting the car at cold it would rev up to abut 3K-4K then instead of dropping to the idle it sometimes just stalls. It's not a big deal because if i just rev it a bit it the engine will stay alive. so all i had to do (no longer cold out) was to start and press on the gas just a bit and it would stabilize. Also if i let is stall on the second start no problem at all... solid as a rock.

2- then a couple of weeks ago the Service Engine Soon light came on. A part from the starting issue the car is running well, no hesitation, no studerring, run well has good power. The light just came on... i searched the net about it so i figured since all is running well it might just be the gas cap. slicked it well, filled the car with new gas yet the light is still on.

3- I feel like the gas consumption is off... I'm running at around 16l/100km that about 15 MPG. I know it all depends on how i drive specially with that 6 but still i find it high. this is all city driving though. It might be the correct figures but i find it hard not to get better millage from a 2004.

4- the driver door wont close well. i mean i have to force it more then the other doors to close it. I'm sure this is just a adjustment but still maybe someone can give me some pointer on doing that.

the only thing i've done to the car was an oil change and a air filter change. the oil change was about 2 weeks before the Service Engine Soon light came on and the air filter replacement about 2 week after the light came on. Yes this mean i've been driving the car with that light on for about a month. It was pretty cold and couldn't work on the car. And i don't have the time to bring it in... i will if i have too but that light didn't worry me all that much because of the way the car is running. Should i try to restrict the driving if that light is on?

Thank you for any help. I tried searching but like all forums the search just suck.

Tark

Did i do something wrong? cause this is the only thread that doesn't have a reply...

Now my problem has grown. So yesterday the car was fine all day until i came back home. On my way home i notice the Service engine soon light turned off... which i though was great. But then the car started to go crazy on me. when idling (at a red light when cold or warm) the car would wnat to stall... if i give and maintain a little gas to get to 1K RPM no problem. But as soon as i let go of the gas the car would WANT to stall... the RPM drops to 100 or even dip lower the car shakes and often stalls.

After reading up on possible problems i cleaned the Throttle Body with a throttle cleaner... i did not want to reset the Idle so i did this with the throttle body still on the car. i thought this would solve the problem but unfortunatly it didn't. The car has the same problem, starts OK but then the RPM starts dopping to the stalling point.

I was thinking about disconnecting the batt for 24 hours and try again tomorrow but in the mean time ANY help would be great... I'm stuck at this point. i dont know what to do anymore so i will bring it in at the garage but I dont have one of confidence for this car. so please if you have any tips help me out. If i did something wrong and i'm not posting at the right place or if you need details post here i'll reply like right away.

Thank you

qship96
Car: 1996 Q45

Take the car to the Infiniti dealer and pay the 1 hour charge for a professional diagnosis- then post results here and we can try to advise you on whether the issue is an easy one for you to fix yourself or whether you should let a professional fix.....without knowing the trouble codes stored in the computer it is a crap shoot at best.

Tark

So that's what i did... 2 codes came up:

MAF sensor and O2 sensor. The mechanics told me he's trying to clean the MAF. i'm really hoping this will work cause i can't really afford to drop 1k in it right now.

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

An average 6 year old car would have 6 x12k or 72,000 miles. Buying a ragged out worn car with 160,000 miles? Probably means lots of components are plain worn out and ready to be replaced.

Hopefully you got the $4,000 discount for high miles and paid no more than $6,000 US.. 6 year old cars are 25% of the new MSRP dollar then deduct excess miles at 4-5 cents per mile.

While the G35 is very reliable you still have to spend $1500-$2,000 per year on M&R. [Tires, brakes, suspension, transmission reserve for replacement], liquids, etc.

We always warn New used buyers to have $1,500-$2,000 in reserve to fix things skipped by previous owners.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

It sounds like you might have something stuck on/in the hot wire of your MAF.

However it also sounds (from your <descriptive code description, numbers would be great if you have them) like you have a damaged throttle sensor that would require unit replacement. Depending on which O2 sensor code you have you will most likely need to replace the O2 sensor. If these things are now or have been neglected for an extended period of time the serious damage to the catalyst would be more than likely.

This car is going to get expensive...fast. sorry it seems like the last owner sold it before it went to hell.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”