Never ending battle with Code 13

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
kyoku
Car: RS13 200SX

Well hello guys. I've been having this damn issue for some time now. Basically it all started with a dead CTS and s*** idle/low idle when cold, which was replaced with a new one. As it turns out this one isn't quite dead, but it's broken and stuck at showing 1.5 ohms lol :chuckle:
I even took off the old connector and as it turns out it wasn't really faulty, but it was broken and crap so I had to replace it anyways.

So then I found a potentiometer and set it to 2.5k Ohms resistance and hooked it up directly to the wires to simulate cold start resistance (the car was cold), but no change. I kept changing the resistance low to 2.5k with the car running, but no change in idle. I tested the connector wires and they are getting 4.8V of power, but the thing is I get no continuinity anywhere.

I've been staring at this FSM page for some time now, but I'm just lost. Maybe I'm not checking for continuinity properly? Can there be 4.8v to the signal wire if there is no continuity? Please help :frown: :wavey:

cadet18
Car: 89 s13 coupe ca18det

if youre getting power there its either shorted to power somewhere or it has continuity. you cant have voltage from the ecu without continuity

kyoku

Damn, now im even more lost and confused. Could it be that everything is okay, but my way of testing out (with that potentiometer) doesn't work due to reasons? What do you suggest, should I get an actual working CTS now, screw it in and try my luck? :confused:

cadet18
Car: 89 s13 coupe ca18det

i would put a multimeter on the cts at the parts store and confirm its good before you buy it if your having a bad time with this. best thing with anything electrical is a decent multimeter. i wouldnt use a harbor freight one. get at least a crafstman from sears to start out with. its a necessary tool for owning a project car. as far as the potentiometer, i wouldnt simulate a signal to get the car to run. get the wiring/sensor itself working correctly.

kyoku

Aight. I'll get my hands on a working CTS, solder on a new good connector and report with results!

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”