Neutral Position Switch Wiring (auto to manual)

A place to discuss the systems and methods of tuning Nissan engines.
jbballa9876
Car: 1995 Infiniti q45 with 5 speed manual
2000 Nissan Frontier V6 4x4

sold: 93 S13 Couple with rb25

Guys,

I have a few issues to work out after switching from auto to manual VH45.

The one issue I'm having is that I want a functional neutral position switch. This allows the VTC to activate among possible other obvious and not so obvious reasons why you should have it.

The problem I have is that I took the two wires from the original auto inhibitor switch and hooked them up to the new neutral position switch. The car starts when it is not pressed in but doesn't start when it is (opposite of what its supposed to do)

The FSM shows that one side of the neutral switch is always grounded. But when I tried to do this I just ended up blowing out the ignition switch.

Any suggestions?

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

I don't know if this insight helps with your swap and what-not, but some position switches are open until selected, then closed and others are closed until selected, then open. So, you are getting the opposite. A standard position switch is just like a light switch, either providing continuity or not. I would guess the difference is in the signal sent/ received between the two. I don't understand (nor have I looked into) how an Auto Inhibitor switch works. I don't think you'd want to add any grounding to either wire. I'd take a closer look at the FSM for both the manual and Auto and see how they work a bit better, then proceed with modification.

jbballa9876
Car: 1995 Infiniti q45 with 5 speed manual
2000 Nissan Frontier V6 4x4

sold: 93 S13 Couple with rb25

I've decided to wire in a momentary push button. I'll press that and turn the key which will have the same effect. This is so the ecu knows we're in drive and not park/neutral anymore.

Only issue now is how to properly set timing.. the ecu sets timing at idle in an auto ecu to 25 btdc so the car won't stall (in drive) but you rev and timing goes normal again

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Okay. That will get it started, but it seems like the work around will create more issues to chase. I guess you could flip your switch while in neutral to get the idle correct. I wonder if your transmission uses a standardized posistion switch. I mean, I have like four of them on my 240sx and they can be swapped around. Thing is like 3 of them are one type and 1 is maybe the other. So you can have open switches that provide continuity and an open switch that provides a break in the circuit. What I mean is, can you get a position switch of the opposite sort and put that on the neutral to get your computer happy again?

Return to “Engine Tuning”