neeelp with my CA18DET

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
Ily Beeg
Car: s13 240sx with ca18det

I have a 240 with a CA swap but recently I haven't been too happy with its out put. I understand it's a CA and I don't expect it to be the quickest thing out there, but compared to my n/a mr2 the throttle response is crap!
I want to know what I can do to improve my throttle response. I understand it can be a lot of things but to make your life easier ill give you an idea of what my car does wrong.

Cold morning starts are really rough! By rough I mean it'll turn over and idle super low and die. Third time is always the charm, after that it'll turn on right away.

If I'm cruising at 2-3k rpm and want to make a quick jump to pass someone it lags until the turbo gets going and helps it out.
But if I'm going from a dead stop it takes a while to get up to 4k, when cold it struggles.
It's almost at a point where I doubt I can burn out. Smells like it's running supper rich but it probably smells really bad since I don't have an exhaust just the cat.
also I realized when getting on it the engine hiccups a bit (example. 1-3k rpms lag, 3-4 turbo kicks in y0, 4-5 hear a hiccup and tone in motor changes, 6k I start hearing a whistle/screaming sound but only in 5th gear) I try not to get on it as much anymore until I get it all figured out.

Anyone have any ideas on what it could be? I'll gladly accept every word of advice.
Also if anyone know where I can get some good quality parts for my ca (gaskets, plugs, wires, ect.) I'd apprecaite it

Izento
Car: RPS13

Hey Ily, welcome to the Nico forums! Glad you found them from my NWN post! There is only one place that I can think of that supplies gaskets close to you, which is Nissanparts.cc They only have gasket kits, not individual ones for the CA. Spark plugs can be had at any automotive store under that 1988 Pulsar NX SE. Take a moment to read the FAQ and crossover parts read-this-before-posting-faq-links-and- ... 36061.html . Those guides are really helpful when you need to get a oem part # or just looking for general information about the motor.

As for your symptoms and solutions, I'll let the big guys help you out there.

Ily Beeg

Izento wrote:Hey Ily, welcome to the Nico forums! Glad you found them from my NWN post! There is only one place that I can think of that supplies gaskets close to you, which is Nissanparts.cc They only have gasket kits, not individual ones for the CA. Spark plugs can be had at any automotive store under that 1988 Pulsar NX SE. Take a moment to read the FAQ and crossover parts read-this-before-posting-faq-links-and- ... 36061.html . Those guides are really helpful when you need to get a oem part # or just looking for general information about the motor.

As for your symptoms and solutions, I'll let the big guys help you out there.
Thanks man! This forum definitely has more information on CA's! Thanks for the link and showing me this site:P

boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

Sounds like a CA swap that has been put into the car to just "run". Show us some pictures of your set-up and we'll let you know what is what. And when I say pictures, we need close-ups ;). My hypothesis is that you have a faulty cold start solenoid/valve, an 02 sensor that is not functioning or is not hooked-up correctly, an engine that has incorrect timing and an exhaust leak between the turbo and the manifold. Sounds like a hot mess to me, but pictures will help reveal some things in detail.

Ily Beeg

boost_boy wrote:Sounds like a CA swap that has been put into the car to just "run". Show us some pictures of your set-up and we'll let you know what is what. And when I say pictures, we need close-ups ;). My hypothesis is that you have a faulty cold start solenoid/valve, an 02 sensor that is not functioning or is not hooked-up correctly, an engine that has incorrect timing and an exhaust leak between the turbo and the manifold. Sounds like a hot mess to me, but pictures will help reveal some things in detail.
Oh good god! Sounds like hell, im half tempted to sell the swap buy a ka and have a good running motor... But ill get those pics in later today, im at work right now so ill get them when I can. Any particular area you want pictured?
Theres a Vietnamese mechanic who has a really good reputation amongst the guys around here, he has a red 240 coupe with an sr20 swap, im going to have him look at it on Saturday but ill get those pics up asap!

p.s My engine bay is very ugly and im very self conscious about it :frown:

sjbsuperman1425
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx
CA18DET

If you end up selling let me know. Im interested in a long block with the manifolds haha. But it sounds like common problems and easy fixes. I think boostboy (Dee) hit the nail on the head

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

I always start with the codes from the ECU, but Boost_boy is right, it sounds like you have more than one problem here.

krazy skwerel
Car: 1989 240sx Coupe down for the count, 2005 Honda Accord, 1974 Mustang II

This sounds almost Identical to what my CA is doing. Have you done a compression check? My issue is bad rings on the #3 cylinder.

dub_nx
Car: Pulsar nx se 1987 (CA18DET)

Hey boost_boy ! some friend tell me that your the man for helping me in my project i need info about transmission.
i have a nissan pulsar nx 1987 with a ca18det from a s13 , i made all the swap clutch pedal ,oil booster, motor bracket ,etc .I have a transmission that i found in scrap yard from a pulsar nx 89 manuel 1,8l , i am looking for a solution to install a lsd ,Quaife did one for a maxima and they send me the drawing of it.I need to remove all gear to see all mesure but in the moment i can tell you that the final gear can be swap, but the cv joint are bigger and bearing are not same parts number.What is the solution for me? fit a transmission from a maxima or i can do something with the 1,8l trans? thanks for help!

boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

dub_nx wrote:Hey boost_boy ! some friend tell me that your the man for helping me in my project i need info about transmission.
i have a nissan pulsar nx 1987 with a ca18det from a s13 , i made all the swap clutch pedal ,oil booster, motor bracket ,etc .I have a transmission that i found in scrap yard from a pulsar nx 89 manuel 1,8l , i am looking for a solution to install a lsd ,Quaife did one for a maxima and they send me the drawing of it.I need to remove all gear to see all mesure but in the moment i can tell you that the final gear can be swap, but the cv joint are bigger and bearing are not same parts number.What is the solution for me? fit a transmission from a maxima or i can do something with the 1,8l trans? thanks for help!
Check your PMs!

dub_nx
Car: Pulsar nx se 1987 (CA18DET)

boost_boy can you send me your email adresse because i am new here and i can't send you pm message ...

boost_boy

Again, check your pm!

float_6969

Dee, he can't PM because he only has 2 posts (he has to have at least 10)

blownhemi
Car: S13 200SX CA18DET HX35

Ily Beeg wrote:I have a 240 with a CA swap but recently I haven't been too happy with its out put. I understand it's a CA and I don't expect it to be the quickest thing out there, but compared to my n/a mr2 the throttle response is crap!
I want to know what I can do to improve my throttle response.
If you have the 8-port head, make sure your secondary butterflies are working correctly, beyond that, I'm leaning towards "nothing". I've stopped comparing my throttle response to 2.0L stock N/A engines. I've even stopped comparing my throttle response to that of my D15 Civic station wagon for sanity's sake.
Ily Beeg wrote: If I'm cruising at 2-3k rpm and want to make a quick jump to pass someone it lags until the turbo gets going and helps it out.
But if I'm going from a dead stop it takes a while to get up to 4k, when cold it struggles.
Same thing here, but I have a turbo way oversized for the engine, so I'm considering this to be normal. What kind of turbo do you have?
Ily Beeg wrote: also I realized when getting on it the engine hiccups a bit (example. 1-3k rpms lag, 3-4 turbo kicks in y0, 4-5 hear a hiccup and tone in motor changes, 6k I start hearing a whistle/screaming sound but only in 5th gear) I try not to get on it as much anymore until I get it all figured out.
What ECU are you running? Do you have an 8 port or 4 port head? I'm 4 port, stock ECU, and I have the same "hiccup" at ~4200. It has just a small dip in AFR (rich) that is so short, that it can only be seen in the logs. Then it suddenly starts to pull, and the whole tone changes. Almost VTEC-ish. We have tried fiddling with the affected fuel cells quite a lot, and all we could achieve was to dial it down it a bit. The only thing I can imagine is that that's where the ECU switches to batch injection, and with larger injectors (mine's 1000s) it just doesn't quite behave the same way as it was intended.

boost_boy

float_6969 wrote:Dee, he can't PM because he only has 2 posts (he has to have at least 10)
I'm aware of the fact that he can't PM, but he can view incoming (read-only) PMs, no?

float_6969

I'm not sure, but I don't think he has any access.

Ily Beeg

(jump to second paragraph to read my new problem)
Ok so i know i posted a while back asking for help bettering my cars performance and never got back to anyone. Thats mainly cause i've been stuck working and with holidays and prom and a bunch of stuff like that i haven't been able to do anything. So my car had problems starting up cold, i found that when the weather started warming up it got easier to start, needless to say it pretty much fixed its self. My car would seem a bit laggy but i figured id switch it down to regular instead of premium (i had 10 bucks and had to drive a good 30miles i needed as much bang for my buck:p) but driving it like that made everything feel alot tighter and responsive, idk if that's normal or if its just in my head. Doesn't hiccup anymore no change of tone either, one good steady tone all the way to redline. It does backfire like crazy though, could be because it smells like i'm running rich and my exhaust consist of a 3" down pipe to the cat :biggrin: Aside from that shes been running and drifting like a champ, yes its my DD and i drift it lightly in the rain, i figure not too much harm has been done, probably had 1 hard session but that's about it.

This morning i woke up to a note saying my exhaust was too loud and to not let my car idle for too long (warm up), I figured id turn it on down the block and drive outside of my neighborhood and let it warm up. So i rolled my car back turned her on and drove for a good block. I stepped on the clutch to put it in neutral and when i went to go back to first i realized the clutch was stuck all the way down. My first instinct was to lift it back up and step on it again, but once again it got stuck. I repeated this about 3 times until finally the pedal was returning but not engaging.
To give you an idea of whats happening right now:
-clutch pedal has no resistance but will return.
-will go into all 5 gears including reverse without pushing clutch in.
-I can give it gas in any given gear and it wont grab.
-Prior to this i have never had any problems with any slips or anything with my clutch or tranny.
-Since I bought it I probably added like a cap full of clutch fluid (hasn't used much in the last 8k miles)
-The guy i bought it from said it could use a new clutch but wasn't affecting its driving.

Im going to bleed the whole system and see what i find down there, but id like to know what you guys think as well. To those that post and dont get a response in this thread or my past thread, sorry ive just been really busy but know that i take every word of advice you guys are giving me. So thank you ahead of time for the responses and wish me luck :bs:

Ily Beeg

Thanks to all of you guys! Ill follow up on my cars perofrmance, getting a straight pipe made and doing alot of other stuff like tune and stuff like that but right now my car has a bigger problem. Heres the thread for those of you that know about clutches.
Last edited by Rogue One on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted duplicate thread

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Just a friendly note. Cross-posting (i.e. posting the same message in more than one forum board) is frowned upon. It's confusing, counterproductive, and some even consider it rude. Please choose the forum topic that is closest to your post, and place it there only. If you should create a post in one forum, and later realize it would be more appropriate in another forum, please delete the original before posting it again.

If you have a new, unrelated problem, you're welcome to create a new thread. Please try to keep it as simple and concise as possible. You want to design your question effectively. Try to describe the problem or question as thoroughly as possible. Include all necessary details, but no unnecessary ones, such as link-backs to your previous posts.

float_6969

The clutch issue is either a bad clutch master, a bad clutch slave, or a bad clutch line.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”