Needing a harness pic or something ...

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
lambohaha
Car: `85 720 2wd std cab

okay, here's my scenario in a nutshell. First of all I wanna apologize for not posting and being on here for a while. Life has been happening lol.
Anyways, I had been having an off and on issue with the old girl, 1985 720 Z24 5spd, on ocassions wanting to just shut off. While running it would throw up the battery idiot light, and I would hear the fuel pump relay go to clattering and it would die, right beside the road. Sometimes you could hold the key in the start position for a bit and it would restart and you could go about doing whatever. I knew that wasn't right lol and before I knew any better I started buying and replacing relays. That didn't help any. What I found out today was some connector replacing and rewiring had once upona time happened with this truck before I got it. Today, after putting the fuel pump relay on and discovering I was no better off than I was 1200 years ago, I decided to once again pop the hood. The key was accidently left in the on position (thank goodness) and I noticed the wires at the battery just didn't match what Nissan had put in there. I touched them, seriously I only just barely touched them , and the fuel pump came to life and it fired right up like nobody's business.
From this pic you can see that there are 2 different colored wires on either side of each connector. And plus the little black wire going to lord knows where, gotta investigate that one, but there's no fusible link at the battery, kinda scary. Anyhows, while it was running I disconnected each connector one by one in this pic and the middle connector is the only one that killed power and shut the engine down. There's been some jerry rigging at the pos terminal at the battery with ALL of these wires, as you can see.
Now, my question is, does anyone have the correct wiring harness from the pos battery terminal to the connectors or know where I can locate one or know the best, safest way to set this up better than what I have right now? Thanks in advance.

ibjman
Car: 1986 720 King Cab Z24

I too have a similar issue!
86 2wd 720 Z24.
It's a shame that (as far as I can see) no one replied to this question???
I too have the identical wires with the exception of the little black wire. Maybe someone added that for an aftermarket Accessory?

I think it doubtful that anyone has a late model (1986?) 720 that has the original wiring configuration at the positive battery post?

If you have a picture or 2 you could do a lot of folks a great favor by posting them up.

From my research< I'm guessing that there was some kind of unusual plastic spade connector tagged on to a stud off the positive batt. terminal?
From what I see:
The 2 spade connector with the 16G white/grn and 16G white/red have the identical (red) leads coming to the pos battery post. Are those fusible links?????
I believe the Large (10G) white wire uses a Black fuselink to connect and it's smaller white/Blk neighbor uses a green fuselink to the batt.
I also believe the single red wire connector is correct with another green fusible link.

Anyone have anything to add? Pictures???

Regards, Ibjman

silverbullet84
Car: 1984 Nissan 720

Mine's the same, too.

Return to “Datsun 720”