Need some input

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum
S13_love

I was initially planning on waiting until the summer before making a purchase on an AR (I have a good idea with what variant I'd like to go with, but I'm looking at other options of course :biggrin: ) ...however, due to the recent incident, I'm starting to think it might be a bad idea to wait that long?

With the politicians exploiting this tragedy to its fullest extent in order to push for more gun control (since we all know that worked extraordinary well the last time an AWB was in effect :rolleyes: ) and retailers such as d!ck's Sporting Goods and CTD caving into pressure :tisk: , I'm starting to think I should purchase one sooner, rather that later.

While I don't want to get into that whole panic buying mode that's going on...however, I feel if I wait too long, I won't be able to get a chance to.

Statements such as these are making me feel rather uneasy:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the ... in-senate/
I’m going to introduce in the Senate and the same bill will be introduced in the House, a bill to ban assault weapons. It will ban the sale, the transfer, the importation and the possession. Not retroactively but prospectively. And it will ban the same for big clips, drums or strips of more than 10 bullets. So there will be a bill. We’ve been working on it now for a year
That part I bolded stood out to me in particular....

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/oba ... 33715.html
Mayor Michael Bloomberg, one of the nation's leading proponents of stricter gun control, held a press conference on Monday, flanked by victims of gun violence and their families, to urge Obama to act.

"There are steps that the president can take on his own, right now, to address gun violence," Bloomberg said on Monday.
"These high-powered semi-automatic rifles are not self-defense weapons," Winkler said.
:facepalm:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/1 ... 23928.html
"Right away we could pass ... we could pass the ban on the assault magazine," House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) told MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell on Tuesday. "Just to ban the magazine, the assault magazine, we could do it right now."
"Assault magazines?" Another Pelosi original. :rolleyes:

While I want to believe any such legislation would take a while to go into effect (having to go through opponents, a couple of lawsuits, supreme court, etc.), however, making an assumption like that would most likely be a foolish to do.

I guess in summary, what I'm looking to find out is if I should not have to worry about anything or if I should get a hold of one soon (what's the likelihood of a ban being signed into law on Dec. 31st? :squint: ).

Also, I should mention I'm not too sure what to make of this proposed bill at the moment...are they going for an outright ban on the semi-automatic rifles (which I'm assuming they are) or just certain features on them?

I just thought I would post this here to get some feedback and see what other people thought. :wavey:

Side note:
With respect to the whole gun debate that has been fired up (again)...this is what it looks like to me this time around :chuckle: :

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp069Y_P-9M[/youtube]

For the lulz:

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

If you think you would ever want to own one you better get one now.

I wonder if the president mourns for Maria Gamez since Eric Holder is the gun runner that facilitated her death.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-34222_162-5 ... ime-scene/
Another weapon from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agency's controversial Operation Fast and Furious was recently recovered at a Mexican crime scene, CBS News has learned. Congressional investigators say the crime scene was likely where a recent shootout took place between reported Sinaloa drug cartel members and the Mexican military, in which Sinaloa beauty queen Maria Susana Flores Gamez and four others were killed.

According to Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, the Justice Department did not notify Congress of the Fast and Furious firearm recovery in November, even though Grassley has requested an accounting of weapons that surface from the case. During Fast and Furious, ATF allowed more than 2,000 weapons, including giant .50-caliber guns, to fall into the hands of Mexican drug cartels and other criminals. Other so-called "gunwalking" operations by ATF let hundreds more guns hit the street. Most of them have never been recovered.
Another illegal-procured weapon that has led to a death. When will the killing stop Mr. President?

Two other Fast and Furious AK-47-type rifles were found at the murder scene of U.S. Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry in December 2010. In September 2011, ATF estimated that Fast and Furious weapons had been recovered at eight violent crimes in Mexico. As CBS News has reported, guns trafficked under ATF's watch in a separate investigation were also used in the murder of Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agent Jaime Zapata in Mexico in February 2011. The families of both Terry and Zapata are suing government officials for alleged negligence and related claims.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Yep, I too was planning on waiting for tax return, but have pushed up my timeline.

I do think it should be at least 2 months before they can get a law in affect, but I'm not trying to wait around too long.

themadscientist

There are no magazines available online anywhere I can find. I hear there are lines at gun shops and rationing of items in some areas. You might be too late. :facepalm:

S13_love

themadscientist wrote:If you think you would ever want to own one you better get one now.
:werd: (that was the general consensus with just about everybody else I've talked to)

That's, of course, if I could find any....the places I've looked at recently are out of stock, for the ones within the price range that I was looking to spend at least. Looks like I might have to cough up a little extra money than previously intended. :squint:

As for that whole Operation Fast and Furious, I could probably go on a 20 minute rant on that alone...maybe another day. :chuckle:
biggie wrote:Yep, I too was planning on waiting for tax return, but have pushed up my timeline.

I do think it should be at least 2 months before they can get a law in affect, but I'm not trying to wait around too long.

It's possible that we only a have a few weeks...

From 2 hours ago.:

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-set-january ... nance.html

:iconeek

Edit: A local store is my best bet at this point from what it looks like...

themadscientist

biggie

Talk to your local gun shops. They may be able to find some.

Mine just ordered a few SR556 and I've reserved one, should be here next week. Just hope nothing falls through.

s0m3th1ngAZ
Car: 96' Miata
2014 Focus ST

My friend and I are camping outside the Oregon Gun/Knife show on the morning of the 5th. It's the only thing I'd ever camp out in front of. Hopefully we'll be able to snag some stuff. He needs mags for his .308 SCAR. I need to buy a carry pistol and 10-22 and associated trimmings.

themadscientist

There appears to be some availability here. http://xtremegunsandammo.com/

S13_love

So I decided to wait a while before going out and purchasing one. Out of curiosity, I just wanted to see if the demand was going to ease up at all. :chuckle:

Luckily...I managed to pick one up earlier today! :mike

It's a used DPMS which I spent $1099 on...might be a little overpriced for a used one imo (considering I've seen new ones go for ~$1200 pre-Dec. 2012), but considering how great of a condition it's in (practically brand new!), I didn't hesitate to buy it.
biggie wrote:Talk to your local gun shops.
I just went to a local gun shop here in town, first thing in morning, lol...

I was talking to the guy helping me out and he said that the ones he just received (on Friday, if I remember right) were most likely going sold out by the end of today. :crazy:

I wasn't surprised considering the ones I've found that went on sale online (those going for <$1500) for the past month, have been sold within minutes, literally.

Oh, u mad Feinstein?

Yea, u mad.

biggie

At least you found one.

DPMS use to go for $900 or under 2-3 months ago, depending on where you looked.

Now you just have to find ammo.

I finally got to shoot mine Saturday, I almost counted the money with each trigger pull.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”