Need recommendation for aftermarket exhaust manifold

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Jay Travis
Car: 1995 XE-V6 Hardbody Pickup

Hi, Everyone -

I'm new to the forum.

My 1995 XE-V6 Hardbody failed smog and is now hard down with a warped and cracked right side exhaust manifold. I've just learned that the OEM part has been discontinued and the dealership told me there are no new ones anywhere in the US.

Does anyone have any recommendations on an aftermarket brand? A couple of folks have frowned at the latest quality of Dorman. The mech at the machine shop suggested buying a pair of headers but I don't think it would be wise to mismatch with one side headers-only and I definitely don't want to tackle the left side.

Welding has also been suggested but I do not want to go that route. All I want to do at this point is reassemble the right side with the highest quality aftermarket cast iron manifold I can find and then get it smogged so I can drive it when I need it. This truck is my go-to vehicle only when I need a pickup. Otherwise it sits on the side of the driveway gathering dust and cobwebs.

Thanks for your assistance.

whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

Welcome to the site. I am able to find a lot of aftermarket exhaust manifolds but ONLY for the drivers side. Another suggestion would be purchasing a used exhaust manifold? Hollanderparts.com. Lists a lot of salvage yards throughout the US that have them. Type in your zip code you may find one close to you? Personally I wouldn’t go with headers. Simply because the time and the price of labor. Also you have no guarantee the truck will pass inspection because of the headers?

SolowKaver
Car: 97 Hardbody 4X4

I tried welding my 4 cylinder's cracked cast iron manifold using my cheapo MIG welder and "spot welding" every few inches eventually covering the whole crack. I've heard if you don't do that they'll simply crack again from heat stress. Welders I have worked with could fill cast iron cracks with various welding rod materials using a torch and flux after preheating the manifold to reduce stress in the metal. Those guys had great skills but I don't have access to them anymore though. Find a welding service that does farm equipment repairs and you might get lucky. Those guys have to do field repairs on cast iron etc. and may be able to help for a reasonable price.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”