Need radio help!

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
nismoboy1984
Car: 2010 Infiniti G37 AE convertible
2009 Nissan R35 GTR Premium

Hey guys looking to see if anyone has some good input for me...
I just ordered my third replacement radio for this car. I have verified the part numbers with my vin through the dealership. Verified that there is no coding or programming for the radios that the dealer would have to do. And that is should essentially be plug and play assuming I have the correct parts numbers.
Here's my problems. Original radio was really borked up bad. Nothing worked would change sources or stations etc etc. Also took forever to turn on. But speakers played static through them so I assume my bose amp is good still.
Replacement radio one: turned right on and seemed to work and change sources and radio stations reverse camera works etc... BUT no sound out of the speakers, and gps was stuck on a turnpike in Jersey no where near me in UT.
Replacement Radio 2: works exactly like the first replacement radio turns on quick things seem to work like they should.... still no sound out of the speakers, but gps works and the reverse camera doesn't. AM I just getting crap luck with these radios? Or is another component(s) bad that I need to replace??
Pic of my 2010 anniversary edition vert Project car.
Attachments
Anniversary vert 1.jpg

OWC
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe
2008 Infiniti EX35

A few questions & suggestions:
Do you know if your car has ever been modified in the radio department?
What type of audio system did your 2010 come with from the factory? Is it a base, BOSE, or NAV w/Bose setup?
What are the part numbers of the replacement radios you received? What's currently installed?

You can try running a diagnostic scan on the radio to see if it fixes/reveals anything:

1 - Ensure your car is parked and Turn the car ON (no need to start it).
2 - Then push the radio volume on/off button and ensure that the radio itself is OFF, in order to run a Self-Diagnosis.
3 - To do so: Press and hold the SETTING button on the control panel while turning the volume knob to the right anywhere from a 3 to 20 times. That will take you to the "System Diagnostic Menu".
4 - Go to "Self Diagnosis" and the system will scan you car’s components, and once complete it will show you what it found. You can see what the system "sees" as being connected as shown: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pRc-Km ... sp=sharing
5 - Go to both pages and note what, if any, components the system isn't detecting.
6 - You can then go Back, and go to "Confirmation Adjustment", and go to > Camera > Camera Syst Type, and choose the camera setup you have. Was the rear camera active?
8 - You can then go back to "Confirmation Adjustment", and go to "Speaker Test" to run a check. Does it reveal anything with the audio output?
9 - You can then go back to "Confirmation Adjustment", and go to "Error History".
See what kind of errors you currently have in the log. Take note of them all, ensuring you scroll all the way down.
For example: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xP2_Hi ... sp=sharing
10 - Once you've taken pictures or written them all down, you can clear the log.
11- Then BACK all the way out of the System Diagnostic Menu. The system will save the changes you made (if any) and reboot.
12 - Once the regular screen is up and running, check to see if you still have the issues you described. Assuming you do, repeat the applicable steps above to see the newly updated Error History.

Hopefully that helps.
Let me know the answers to the questions above and what you find in the diagnostic scan.

nismoboy1984

OWC,
Thank you for that information. I have the nav with a touch screen and bose. I attempted to run the diagnostics on one radio and if I remember right it yielded no results. all components were detected and no errors that I remember. I did verify the radio part number with the dealer and had them match it to my vin and have ensured that all these radios have had the exact same part number. the speakers worked (played static) with the original unit so I assume the bose amp is turning on (cannot find any bose amps that match my part number online) it is just weird that the backup camera would work with one radio and not the other radio and same with gps that both sellers claimed were tested and fully functioning before shipping them to me, It has me wondering if there is another component that may be bad. I shipped one radio back and am waiting for a third I may put one of them back in and run the diag module again on it to see what results I get.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

It's very likely the new navis simply don't have the right configuration for your car. The Bose navis definitely need configuration on a '10, they're not plug-and-play.

nismoboy1984

Vstar650cl,
Please elaborate. My local infiniti dealer told me that there was no programming needed for the 2010 g37. and the local nissan dealer (who is 40 minutes closer to me than the infiniti dealer) plugged in their nissan consult 3+ and could not find any new configuration needed for it.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The '10 ESM says the Navi needs configuration. Check out page AV-67.

nismoboy1984

Update! I'm still chasing this down the rabbit hole and that hole is getting deeper.
The third replacement radio came and is just as bad as the other two.
no sound from the speakers, GPS does not work, and the radio does not even recognize when the car is put into reverse so the camera does not take over the screen

so here I am with 3 radios that do not work (I sent one back to the seller)
radio conditions and issues
~Original radio: water damaged and takes a solid minute to turn on. sends nothing to the screen, static plays through the speakers, but does not change inputs, volume up and down work. will not show gps screen (screen receives nothing from the radio and the volume increasing comes from the front panel)
~Replacement radio 1: matched part number. No sound!! screen works and shows radio stations and information as well as changing of sources. Gps is stuck in New Jersey (probably where the donor car got wrecked) reverse camera does turn on when car is put into reverse. Seller refunded the purchase price and told me to hold onto it
~Replacement radio 2: matched part number as well No sound!! GPS works as it should and shows my current location without having to be configured at all! Reverse camera does not turn on when the car is put into reverse. screen shows stations and information and allows me to switch sources. Seller had me send it back for a refund (pending)
~Replacement radio 3: matched part number still no sound!! GPS is locked in one location and no reverse camera when car is put into gear. radio sends info to screen and changes sources and stations, but no sound no matter where the volume lever is set. (it does show the graphic for the volume increasing on the screen)

I put the original radio back in last night to ensure that I was still getting static from the speakers and I am. so that tells me the Bose amp is working as it should and turning on and sending signals to the speakers in the car.
I have been in touch with a company in cali who repairs the oem units and may have to send them to them to get repaired by them. But it would appear that the radio is coded to the Bose amp somehow as the no sound from the speakers is my only constant with these units. The local infiniti dealer as well as one in denver confirmed that there is no programming between the radio and the amp, the shop in cali that I spoke with also did not know of any programming that would need to be done with the amp and unit.
:wtf2: :wtf2:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

They're correct that the Bose itself needs no programming, it's a "dumb" analog amp and not digital. However, Bose/non-Bose is a standard configuration item on virtually all N/I navis, and the amp won't switch on without an enable signal from the AV (which won't be there if the AV is configured as non-Bose).

Vis the dealers telling you there's no configuration, they're completely full of baloney. There's even a bulletin about it, ITB10-017. Here's a copy of the cover sheet:

ITB10-017.png

nismoboy1984

Well radio 4 came... no sound. no backup camera. works really well otherwise.... I may have to go in and get my flirt on with the infiniti techs at the stealership (over an hour drive away) and see if we can switch them around until we get one of the 3 that I have sitting around working. (one is the fried original unit) Or my other option is to send them all to a shop in san Jose called short circuit radio repair or something to see how much they want to charge me to get them working... such a weird situation.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

nismoboy1984 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:37 am
Well radio 4 came... no sound. no backup camera. works really well otherwise.... I may have to go in and get my flirt on with the infiniti techs at the stealership (over an hour drive away) and see if we can switch them around until we get one of the 3 that I have sitting around working. (one is the fried original unit) Or my other option is to send them all to a shop in san Jose called short circuit radio repair or something to see how much they want to charge me to get them working... such a weird situation.
None of that will make it work. Refer the techs at the dealership to the bulletin I posted, they can access it through ASIST and get your unit configured appropriately. Bring your original AV, they'll need to hook it up in order to offload the config parameters. Probably all of your replacements have nothing wrong with them.

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”