Need Quick SR help

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
240dreams
Car: 240's

Alright i just installed the SR and its not starting (cranking). The problem is with the starter. It is clicking but not engaging. I know the starter is go b/c i cranked the engine when it was in the clip. I checked the wires connecting to it and they seem good. I have the small ground wire connected to chassis next to the fuse box, is this ok? Also the brown and gray connectors next to the battery might not be correctly spliced. I followed the HT Swap guide and did everything as they said but there are a few wires left over like the 02 wire (black wire). Where do i connect this wire? Someone help. Thanks is advance. -Marno

goldollar
Car: cars

Did you check to see if your battery is fully charged? Clicking but not turning over sounds like a dead battery.

loudbay
Car: duh

or a bad ground to the battery

240dreams

it is bad but i am jumping it. can it be that bad? damn, i didn't know that. the clicking is a loud rapid noise.

loudbay

check your starter ground too.... if you hooked up the starter while the engine was in the car it is very hard to get too.... you could have just mucked it up...

loudbay

your starter could be bad too, and try putting a fully charged (not a jump) in your car and reconnect the grounds good

240dreams

i didnt disconnect the plugs to the starter during the swap. but i did drain the battery it came with when i left my hatch open. ill try a new battery. thanks for the help

goldollar
Car: cars

It could be a list of thiings that could be wrong, bad battery, bad wiring, bad ground, ect ect. But seeing how you are getting that clicking noise that is similar to the starter trying to turn, im would narrow it down something related to the battery or ground. But like i said i would start with the battery first and go from there. Oh and if ur battery is bad, you can charge it all you want but it wont do anything. :)

240dreams

definitely was the battery. now i just need it to catch

loudbay

now it's your timing for sure...

240dreams

yeah, im getting frustrated man. im doing everything right but it just wont catch. sometimes it feels sooo close.

s13sr20chris
Car: nissans

check for spark and fuel

loudbay

if you follow the instructions to set your timing.... the car will start.... it may not be perfect, but it should start and idle (sorta) if you have spark and fuel

240dreams

yeah i have both spark and fuel. too muh fuel. i need to "deflood" it. tomorrow ill deflood, retime, etc. ill get back to you guys if things go good. also a quick question, when the motor is at TDC, you can see the piston from the 1st spark plug hole like an inch away from the opening right. i just wanna make sure im on the compression side. thanks very much for the help so far. you guys are making it happen.

loudbay

you got it buddy, and if your engine is just flooding all the time, i would seriously consider getting your orings replaced or getting the injectors checked.... you can leave the injectors in the rail, and remove the rail from the intake manifold, but leave the fuel lines hooked up.... have someone turn the key to the on position... wait, turn it off, repeat, repeat, repeat.... no matter what (as long as they don't try and turn the motor over) no fuel should come from ANYWHERE in the rail..... it's easy to check and you'll know for sure....

s13sr20chris
Car: nissans

yeah, and you can get it started by pulling the fuel pump fuse and cranking over untill cleared. then pop fuel pump fuse back in while cranking. most cars clear easily like this. oh yeah, hold the gas pedal all the way down too. once you get it running the leaking injectors(if thats the prob) should not kill it. they would just make it hard to start.

240dreams

CAR STARTED!!! Thanks for everyones help.

cimarookie
Car: 1996 nissan cima

Hi 240dreams! how did you get it to start? i'm a million years late but thought i'd ask anyway lol

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”