Need Outboard Motor Help

Hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking, travel and recreation-related discussion forum
dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

Hello! My brother's boat is equipped with a 1973 Johnson/Evinrude 65hp outboard. Its the inline 3cyl model. It starts and runs when hooked up to the garden hose on the trailer, but doesn't want to run in the water.

It needs for sure a new ignition system, but tracking down parts for this motor has been super difficult. If any of you guys possess knowledge on the subject, get back to me

Thanks.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

thats pretty F'in weird how it runs on the trailor but not in the water. I've never worked on an evenrude that old, but I know my Merc had some coils or something go bad. Open her up and check for corrosion. You might be best off just buying a newer 4 stroke or something. 73 is pretty damn old.

dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

yeah, but its attached to a 70-something Chrysler ski boat, so if possible we would like to restore it.

Coils are the first thing we are looking at replacing, but my dad believes the choke needs to be adjusted too, or throttle linkage... something!

We're also looking for a decent replacement outboard, but if it becomes too expensive we would probably just sell the boat and put the money into our other one.

thanks for the response!

Return to “The Great Outdoors”