Need opinion on a 2014 Rogue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
GrizzlyDad
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue

We are considering the purchase of a 2014 Nissan Rogue from a family member at a very discounted price. The car has 125,000 miles on it and I know that it was maintained properly and driven gently. With that said the OBD scanner is picking up code "P17F1-00 - Cvt Judder (C/V Inspection) : No Sub Type Information." Shows as Confirmed/Pending?

At this point, I don't hear or feel anything wrong with the transmission - without the OBD scanner picking up the code I wouldn't even suspect something is wrong.
Given the known transmission issues that exist with the Rogue, I'm trying to get a good guestimate of how long I might reasonably get out of the car before the transmission needs to be replaced? Does code P17F1-00 mean the transmission is on the verge of dying soon or is it likely we can get a couple of years out of it?

Additionally, code B0020-13 (Left Side Airbag Deployment Control : Circuit Open) is on. In order to fix this code, it requires the replacement of the drivers side seatback. My mechanic has located a used seatback and can get this done for about $700. Is it safe/OK to replace this unit with a use seatback by a non Nissan mechanic?

Any other known issues I should be on the look out for with a 2014 Rogue?

TIA

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You can actually even replace the bag without replacing the seatback. Nissan just doesn't sell them that way, but the bags are only held on by two 6mm studs, not welded or anything. They can all be disassembled and the bag replaced without replacing the frame or upholstery. Junkyard bags are never any problem as long as the wiring is intact, if the bag itself has any issues then the system will tell you about it.

Vis the P17F1, that's a "judder detection" code meaning the TCM (trans controller) has detected some minor slippage of the CVT belt. Serious slippage would be causing a P17F0, that's usually a death code. If the "proper maintenance" included CVT fluid changes at 30K intervals and the tranny has no symptoms, it may not be anything to worry about. If the CVT is on the original fluid or hasn't had many changes, get some fresh fluid in it right away and you can hope the Valve Body isn't damaged. With a P17F1 it's unlikely the belt and pulleys are damaged, so a new VB is probably the worst case, not a whole tranny.

RickFlorida
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue Select

But how do you buy a new valve body? I thought one of the problems with Jatco (and maybe even other CVT's) is that you can only buy remanufactured or new CVT whole assemblies. I could be wrong but I never knew or heard of buying a new valve body for a Jatco CVT. Where would one buy one?

GrizzlyDad
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue

Looks like there are a couple of options for aftermarket/refurbed.

https://streetsmarttransmission.com/rem ... 6e-jf017e/

VStar650CL, thanks for your response. I checked the service records and it looks like the Trans fluid was replaced only once at 86k miles. If the car passes MD inspection, I think we will roll the dice and hope the tranny lasts for a little bit. With that said, do you think it makes sense to preemptively replace the Valve Body preemptively using something from the link above or someplace else? Without question, we will replace the transmission fluid. Does the Rogue need special Nissan fluid or is that something that can be done at a non Nissan shop?

Again, can't thank you enough VStar650CL.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You're most welcome. No, if the '71 is the only code and there are no symptoms, I'd say roll the dice on the VB. Just do a couple quick spill-and-fills in succession to get most of the old fluid out. The CVT's do need special fluid. There are lots of good aftermarket fluids out there which are half the price of Nissan NS3, if you go that route then just use a fluid that's rated NS3-equivalent by the manufacturer. My personal favorites are Eneos Eco and AMSoil. If you can change your own oil then you can spill-and-fill the CVT, there's no big trick to it except to never, ever overfill. Get a transparent bucket to let you mark what you drained out, then refill that exact amount.

RickFlorida
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue Select

I'd be nervous as hell if the CVT fluid was not changed until 86,000 miles. My own brother had a Murano and the CVT failed at 55,000 miles. I've changed the CVT fluid on my wifes 2015 Rogue 4 or 5 times and it's at 88,000 miles and I'm still nervous as hell and wonder if I'll get 150,000 miles. I'll be happy if I do get to 150,000 miles because by then, the sub frame will be rusted up pretty good. (I live by the beach and even with lanolin grease, the bottom of my cars and some of the body panes rust really bad without constant pampering).

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

RickFlorida wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:41 pm
I'd be nervous as hell if the CVT fluid was not changed until 86,000 miles. My own brother had a Murano and the CVT failed at 55,000 miles. I've changed the CVT fluid on my wifes 2015 Rogue 4 or 5 times and it's at 88,000 miles and I'm still nervous as hell and wonder if I'll get 150,000 miles. I'll be happy if I do get to 150,000 miles because by then, the sub frame will be rusted up pretty good. (I live by the beach and even with lanolin grease, the bottom of my cars and some of the body panes rust really bad without constant pampering).
With that many fluid changes your CVT should last forever.
By all accounts it does make a huge difference.

Svtrit

150,000 on my CVT in a 2016. First change at 103,000, when I bought it. It was wrecked, so I don’t know what it had left for life.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Oh, for the OP, I should mention that the P17F1 will never go away. Nissan set up the judder codes so that they're permanent, even if only a single instance of judder was detected. The only way to wipe them is to reprogram the TCM or install a new one. The upshot is, if you don't get palpable symptoms or other tranny codes, don't worry about it. I've seen dozens of cars drive a very long way with P17F1's that the owners weren't even aware of. Keep the fluid fresh at 30K's and keep an eye on it, but as long as you get no misbehavior, simply consider the code a permanent souvenir from the previous owner.

Return to “Rogue Forum”