Need much needed advice...

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
coheed
Car: poop

Hello! I was wondering if I can get some advice from the members with 350's. I was initially planning to do the 240SX thing, but with emissions inspections, not much of that will fly lol. So, instead, I chose to shoot higher and go for a Z. It's always better to aim higher than just setteling for something lower, right? Well, I plan to move to Mass next year for college and living, so I have to factor in paying half of the rent for an apartment and for schooling. I do have a fund saved up for living expenses and what not over the past couple years. Before I do anything, I will definitely have a job. I know that new and used Z's probably carry a hefty monthly payment and also come with pretty high insurance payments. I was just wondering the kinds of payments I'm looking at. PLEASE don't turn me away just because I'm only 17 at this moment. I do know great cars when I see them. I want to get a Z not just to "have" one, but to have one great car that's got plenty of performance. Well, I feel like I've just told my life's story haha. So, any advice would be HIGHLY appreciated. Thank you to anyone that took the time to read and/or reply to this thread.

P.S. Very redundant thread title haha sorry about that

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

coheed,

You will not find us discriminate against you, just because you are 17.

I will however, caution you, against getting yourself in a situation were you are car-poor.

As for what your insurance and payments would be, be sure, to also check our experts ( actual salesmen and Dealership finance and insurance managers) in this sub-forum:zeromain?id=161

240sx will work emissions wise unless you are trying to pass an SR swapped car in a swap senstive emissions station... ( depends on state +location).

Also keep in mind, aftermarket parts are SO MUCH cheaper for 240sx than 350Z.

Unless you have secured a significant amount of income,, besides your college job, I would have to advise against this purchase.

But... if you manage to save up a significant amount, keep in mind Base 03's can now be had ,in 18/19k range for private party sales.

If you can find a way to swing a deal like that, go ahead and enjoy the newer car with fewer troubles ... ( and less class distracting projects/issues).

Otherwise, I would recommend going with a stock 240 (which can still be found reasonable, despite their recent surge in popularity) keeping it more or less stock (no expensive swaps, maybe springs+shocks as mods) and drive it thru college.

Then you will be in a better financial position at the end.

Dont incur additional debt at this stage in your life, were you are likely taking on a lot of college debt and be forced to constantly worry during school, about your car payments and insurance payments.

Fred..

NISTECH

Fred makes a good point, worrying about your car payment. Financial woes while in school or any other place where your mind set needs to be 100% focused in order to succeed can be very distracting. As he said If you are not financially set to buy this car with at least half down this may not be a good idea. Yes the maintance on an old 240 might be higher then a newer car but the cost of repairs,espeically if your mechanically inclined, will be less in the long run. Compared to a monthly obligation ,the "monthly payment" to repair the car can be postponed till it can be afforded unlike letting the monthly car payment slide till you can afford it.

coheed

Thanks you guys for that advice. It really helped me think about the whole picture and the situation I will be in. I will more than likely hold off on getting another car and just sticking with what I have for a year or two until I can be settled in and take a look at my financial situation. Food and living quarters FIRST, 350z can come second. Plus, if it takes me a good 2 or 3 years to be stable, then I'm more than sure the Z will still be around for the reaping lol. I really appreciate the helpful attitude of this forum. Thanks again guys.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

No Problem, stick around, even if you arent getting that 350Z just yet..

Fred..

coheed

I will definitely stick around and read up on what you guys are doing to your Z's...

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”