Need help with VHT Nightshades...

From wax to washes, the Detailing Forum should be used for questions and ideas concerning exterior and interior cleaning and appearance
2SSick
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
**2010 Camaro 2SS** SOLD! :*(
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4x4

OK... i just painted my tails with VHT Night shades and everything was going smoothly until i put on my 3rd coat. the first 2 coats came out awesome but the 3rd one went all cloudy/hazy on me. i think it was the humidity but i dont understand why the first 2 went so well... i waited a good amount of time between coats so the first 2 had plenty of time to haze up if they were gonna. Does any1 have an idea of what could have went wrong? Did i put the 3rd coat on too thick? Did i not shake the can enough?

I already stripped the VHT with gasoline and i'm about to start over but i dont want to make the same mistake again!

Here are some pics...

This is me wet sanding down the lights with 2000grit

Me taping off the side plastic and my reverse lights

First coat

Second coat

Third coat

Then about 15-20 mins after the third coat they began to dry all cloudy/hazy and this was my end result

I peeled the tape of the reverse lights for the final coat so they could get 1 coat of tint but still be bright when in reverse so i could see behind me

2SSick
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
**2010 Camaro 2SS** SOLD! :*(
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4x4

i should have just stopped at the second coat and left my reverse lights white! =(

lukeharper
Car: Ford

I spray-painted my headlights to smoke color before and got the same problem after 2 coats. I think they all turn hazed after a few months if you paint them. I just bought the aftermarket smoke headlights at Xtralights online and they look awesome for over 2 years now. You may want to check their website out.

Return to “Detailing Forum”