RWD SR need help with tuning what do i do??

A place to discuss the systems and methods of tuning Nissan engines.
o7j.a.p.

ok so i have s13 sr not sure if its red or black top and a buddy of mine sold me his set up consist of...GT2871R A/R64 , 660CC INJECTORS , Z32 MAF...I already have the following 255fuel pump,sidefeed fuel rail n nismo fpr,fmic,hks ssqv bov,alu.koyo rad slim fans,3in. turbo back,and apexi AVC-R boost controller. So now on to tunning this is the part were im completely lost i was goin to buy a SAFC but was told not good for this size injectors ...would like to kno whats the best easiest and cheapest way to go about tunning would like DIY seeing as how tunning in a shop is so pricey but i dnt know much much about is. Any and all help would be great thanks.

o7j.a.p.

been looking around think im going with the e-mance rom tune

Kr5Kouki
Car: 1997 240SX, Silvia Clone.

nistune, jim wolf tuning, haltech etc. piggy backs.
OR
aem standalone

are all common engine managment

codyace
Car: S14 w/redtop

www.jimwolftechnology.com

www.rs-enthalpy.com

THere really isn't a need to go anywhere else for a street car.

sydwayz315
Car: 92 240sx

I used rs-enthalpy about 3 years ago and it SUCKED!!!! wasted my money

rc1honda
Car: 1992 240 sx
2007 BMW 335xi
2008 Honda CBR1000RR

Wel rom tunes are usually pretty good because they use MAF voltage. Whatever u do, DO NOT buy a power FC. I have been on crusade against the power fc for the last 6 months. I was talked into buying one when i first putting my car together. Huge mistake. Terrible support for a dated EMS. The act of actually getting a computer to recognize the FC is a nightmare. Not many tuners can tune it, and the commander is really only good for monitoring. So many bad things it's old and obsolete.

That said i would go with Haltech is you wanna go EMS. Free software with a huge potential for fine tuning for power and fuel efficiency . And many tuners are familiar with the software.

Kr5Kouki
Car: 1997 240SX, Silvia Clone.

SAFC wasnt too bad. it was user friendly and great for controlling a/f ratios, vct controls and such
from a 1996 rb25det

codyace
Car: S14 w/redtop

sydwayz315 wrote:I used rs-enthalpy about 3 years ago and it SUCKED!!!! wasted my money
What issues did you have?

Did you contact them to try and resolve them? 95% of Enthalpy or JWT customers are overly happy. The other 5% usually have extracirricular issues.

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

sydwayz315 wrote:I used rs-enthalpy about 3 years ago and it SUCKED!!!! wasted my money
Statements like this make YOU look bad, and not the company. Without details supporting your claim, it makes you look like a troll instead of someone trying to point a guy in the right direction.

sydwayz315

Ok... I used rs enthalpy... Supplied them a list of mods the air fuel ratio was off the car wouldn't idle the maf wasn't reading right the car wouldn't even rev... I contacted the company could get a refund nor would they fix it without charging me again... THEY SUCK...

rc1honda
Car: 1992 240 sx
2007 BMW 335xi
2008 Honda CBR1000RR

Kr5Kouki wrote:SAFC wasnt too bad. it was user friendly and great for controlling a/f ratios, vct controls and such
from a 1996 rb25det
No no no, SAFCs are bad. All they do is manipulate the maf voltage to allow for a increased load. They have no way of montiering timing. A/F is really only one aspect of tuning. SAFCs are bad becuase if your maf goes bad then they can lean out or not pull timing like EMS or rom tune would and fry the motor.

Also they are terrible for driviabilty, and effeciency. I think anything over 300hp should defintley have some way to manipulate timing. Rom tunes are good becuase there are running off factory maf's voltages and usually have safe and proven timimg maps. But adding fuel without correcting timimg can lead to a diaster for your motor.

EMS are good becuase you can dial in timing on the dyno to see how well your car responds to timing. And you can manipulate timing, A/F ratio, and load all at once to create engine harmony and effciency.

sydwayz315

Perfectly said!!! :dblthumb:

o7j.a.p.

thanks for all the info guys...i was looking at e-mance rom tune iv read good things and they are really cheap has any one used this and are they any good?

sydwayz315

I've also tried running emance on the first sr20 build I had and one word scam... I brought the ecu to a local tuning shop and they looked at the ecu and they never even did anything to the ecu... If your gonna do a rom tune use jwt or nistune those are the only 2 I would recommend if you want to dial the car in and get get full potentia out of your buildl your gonna need an ems either aem, power fc, hks fcon v2, microtech, haltech etc.... Think about this most tuners can't do anything with a rom tune so yoiur only getting what these companies think your car should run but keep in mind no 2 engines are identical and run differently...

Return to “Engine Tuning”